Inactive Geocacher but there caches continue the spirit

Hello everyone,

I am not sure if this has been discussed before so im here to ask....

What happens if a geocacher has many caches in the area where you cache and have discovered. The caches are still in great condition and are still visited regularly by geocachers. However I check their profile out and they havn't been active since 2007!!!!!!!!!!! Therefore if the cache ever needs to to be replaced with a logbook, cleaned up, etc.... the cache will be left to nothing. And my guess is the cacher isnt coming back sadly. Is there anyway I could adopt these caches? I want to keep them alive. I attend college and Georgia Southern University and I geocacher here as well.

Heres the profile of the cache owner.

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=3fe62934-7e51-4d4a-baa2-b6dbe067eddf

Heres another cache owner in the same are of Georgia Southern

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/?guid=537ba3ab-15cf-4af9-a966-8ad107aa6e9d

Edited by Crazy Twitch

According to this knowledge books article, "If the original geocache owner is inactive on our site and/or will not use the Geocaching Adoption Service, the interested new party must ask the original cache owner to give Groundspeak written permission. The owner should inform us at contact@geocaching.com from their Geocaching email account that this cache can be adopted to the new party with their permission. If the cache owner is unresponsive and the cache needs attention, you may write a Needs Maintenance log or a Needs Archived log to the cache page, as appropriate."

There's no reason you can't try contacting a cache owner yourself with your offer to adopt their caches (although they may not be active on this site it's possible they're still getting their emails). But if you can't make contact then there's nothing more to do other than either do basic maintenance yourself or wait for the natural course of cache degradation... NM logs... DNFs... NA log... then consider placing your own caches in the spots.

MrsB :)

Is there anyway I could adopt these caches? I want to keep them alive. I attend college and Georgia Southern University and I geocacher here as well.

Many caches are maintained as a community effort, even with semi-active Cache Owners (who don't maintain their caches for various reasons). If a log book's full, you can drop a new little notebook in, leave a NM log, and you're perpetuated the cache a little longer. It's not often worth doing that.