Power Trails

mc3cats

We are all pretty familiar with the ET trail in Nevada and the newest power trail, the Route 66 trail down in California between Barstow and Needles on old highway 66. I also know of a shorter power trail down near New Orleans. All of these power trails got me thinking. How many power trails exist in the US? Where are they located? Does anyone know if there is a published list of these wonderful cache enriched highways somewhere? I would love to get my hands on a list. If one doesnt exist, then I am considering putting one together.

If you know of a cache power trail (which I define as a "string" of caches with the same name and in number series that stretches over miles and consists of more than 10 caches") thats either in your neck of the woods or that you know of, please feel free to post the name of the cache series, the state where its located and a GC# of one of the caches in the series. I will make a list of these "cache lode roads" and eventually post them.

Thanks for reading, keep on cachin'.

I just found a power trail in New Mexico. It is just west of Las Cruces International Airport off of 10. It is done by a retire Vietnam Vet named John Anderson (Docgeo*). It isn't in a shape but it is of 100 0f the 246 Medol of Honor Recipients from the Vietnam War. Each cache is in honor of 1 of those individuals. It is quite unique & very impressive. Check it out. MW

Getting it back to power trails rather than replicas of the Nazca Lines, there is one along a bike trail from Valley Forge into the city of Philadelphia. I haven't checked lately but it is probably about 100 caches by now. The trail goes another 40 miles or so out of the city so there is room for many more. Here's the current westernmost one. link

Edited by edscott

The "pattern caches" are great (in fact I am working on the "peace sign series") but these caches are not generally on one stretch of road. However, I do think a separate list for these pattern caches should also be put together. So, thank you Riston2 for showing me some of the pattern style power trails. I suspect there are a lot more of these types of power trails around.

The "pattern caches" are great (in fact I am working on the "peace sign series") but these caches are not generally on one stretch of road. However, I do think a separate list for these pattern caches should also be put together. So, thank you Riston2 for showing me some of the pattern style power trails. I suspect there are a lot more of these types of power trails around.

I don't believe there are that many "Power Trails" out there.

I'm aware of one that fits your description in Colorado and it was published last fall. That's the "PNG Tour" which runs along the Pawnee National Grassland in Northern Colorado. It's 175 caches that are numbered sequentially.

No favorite votes yet, but some interesting logs already. Sounds like people had fun doing it even in the cold and snow.

I'm aware of one that fits your description in Colorado and it was published last fall. That's the "PNG Tour" which runs along the Pawnee National Grassland in Northern Colorado. It's 175 caches that are numbered sequentially.

No favorite votes yet, but some interesting logs already. Sounds like people had fun doing it even in the cold and snow.

There are plenty. My state is Litterd with them. Literally

I just found a power trail in New Mexico. It is just west of Las Cruces International Airport off of 10. It is done by a retire Vietnam Vet named John Anderson (Docgeo*). It isn't in a shape but it is of 100 0f the 246 Medol of Honor Recipients from the Vietnam War. Each cache is in honor of 1 of those individuals. It is quite unique & very impressive. Check it out. MW

That has me intrigued ... what a noble venture ... does anyone have the GC# of one. What a great reason to return to " The Crosses "

Located them west of " The Crosses " International airport GC2FPH4. Thanks for the heads up.

Edited by humboldt flier

You had to figure that someone would mention this eventually, but some might consider those caches to be promoting an agenda, when the listings included the following statement:

"Please take the time to read the citation for each and remember them this Veterans Day."

Note: this post has nothing to do whether or not one consider remembering MOH recipients honorable.

Is that different from the hundreds of caches near DIA that was used to set what someone claimed (before the ToTG and ET trails existed) as a new world record for most finds in a day?

I know that there is another PT in Maine and I've seen map images of at least one in Utah. I've also seen other smaller power trails with fewer caches than the ET/Route 66 trails but still had a considerable number and had the same feature that they were very close to the road and just over the minimum proximity allowance.

I think there are differences between a "power trail" and a "numbers run trail".

A power trail is some number of caches spaced closely along a hiking trail, a bike/pedestrian path, in open country where you can hike easily from cache to cache without trails, etc. Hiking a power trail will net quiet a few finds (on the order of a dozen or two an hour). Power trails can develop organically, especially in parks that require caches to be placed near existing trails, or they can be designed and created as a unit.

A numbers run trail like the ET Highway trail or the Rt 66 trail seems designed for a different style of geocaching altogether. They're placed alongside roads so finders can drive from cache to cache, and they're designed to facilitate much higher find rates (on the order of 50-100 an hour). Numbers run trails never develop organically; they are designed and created as a unit.

We did the Hang 'Em High on Highway 51 in Louisiana. There are about 144 of them -- see GC20GR1. You must wear boots for that series. It was about 105 degrees when we did it and I saw an alligator. My idea of fun, though. We also did the Halleujah Trail which is 35 caches in a loop in scenic, rural Northern Alabama. See GC2C89R for that.

Maybe thats why I'm more sensitive to them then most on here. They are popping up all over the place where I live. I did a quick search and found a 20,25,38,70,77,80,155 and 270. Most are fairly recent and some are being added to now, with more on the way.

We also did the Halleujah Trail which is 35 caches in a loop in scenic, rural Northern Alabama. See GC2C89R for that.

That's the one. I'm thinking there's one to the east or west of Birmingham, but I'm not finding it at the moment.

You may be thinking of a smiley face series starting with GC24M57, AWSS#1

I have a "power trail" in a nice park in Newark, NJ consisting of 20 caches. Not much of a power trail but I managed to put together what I consider 20 unique hides with varying container sizes and hide techniques that can be driven to (there is a road that goes through the park) or even better can be walked or biked. Branch Brook Park NJ Power Trail The fact that the park is in Newark, NJ might be the reason there was so much space available since nobody has ever placed a cache there before me.

5344449701_da31a3fd23.jpg

Edited by slukster

I noticed a couple power trails in the Salt Lake City area. There's the 201-cache Seinfeld series. Appended to that is the Shakespear series, with 100+ more caches.

I'm not sure this one really counts, but Salt Lake City also has the 17-cache Challenge of the Century trail. All of them are challenge caches, so your mileage might vary.

Edited by CanadianRockies

The SLRRT Series in Oceanside,CA! It was my good friend gummebjorn's last week in California and before he moved to WA we all got together (Team Cachco)for one last run on the S.L.R.R.T. trail which had 51 cache's on an 8 mile bike path! We hiked the whole thing in 7 hours and it was a blast, 50 finds and only one DNF!

here is the GC code for the beginning of the trail: GC259ET :D

slrrt-1.jpg

Edited by snapshot7

I have a "power trail" in a nice park in Newark, NJ consisting of 20 caches. Not much of a power trail but I managed to put together what I consider 20 unique hides with varying container sizes and hide techniques that can be driven to (there is a road that goes through the park) or even better can be walked or biked. Branch Brook Park NJ Power Trail The fact that the park is in Newark, NJ might be the reason there was so much space available since nobody has ever placed a cache there before me.

Don't you feel a little bit guilty over taking up the entire park? I know that "nobody has ever placed a cache there before," but now no one else could.

Don't you feel a little bit guilty over taking up the entire park? I know that "nobody has ever placed a cache there before," but now no one else could.

And the party should feel guilty ... why ... They have added 20 caches so others can enjoy. It seems to me that the party has played a positive role.

And the party should feel guilty ... why ... They have added 20 caches so others can enjoy. It seems to me that the party has played a positive role.

"Here's a nice big empty park. I have ideas for a couple of nice creative hides. Then I'm going to saturate the rest of the park with a bison tube hanging in a tree every 600 feet, just because I can. Now no one else can place any caches in the park."

You don't see a problem with that?

"Here's a nice big empty park. I have ideas for a couple of nice creative hides. Then I'm going to saturate the rest of the park with a bison tube hanging in a tree every 600 feet, just because I can. Now no one else can place any caches in the park."

The advantage of placing just a few nice creative hides in the park and leaving some open space is that it might draw other potential hiders to the park, who might have their own creative ideas for caches. Eventually the park might get saturated but it might also have a greater variety of hides.

I don't know if you're speaking generally or if you're still targeting slukster's efforts, but FWIW he said he specifically created 20 unique hides with varying containers and techniques. I'm not sure that it's entirely fair to imply he simply hung bison tubes in trees every 600 feet.

I certainly don't. Going by his join date, the game was going along swimmingly for eight years or so prior to these caches being placed. Had someone else wanted to place caches in this park, they had plenty of time to do so.

Also, based solely on the posted map image, it appears that at least half dozen caches could still be placed inside that park.

You mean like this?? I have absolutely NO GUILT whatsoever, none. For me, this was built over 6 years while waiting around for others to hide caches in the area. With the exception of the caches along the road, nearly every cache is meaningful either in terms of the hike or the view.

cv.jpg

Why should he? The park has been available since day 1 of geocaching and nobody else chose to hide a cache there in 10 years.

When people claim that all the good places are taken, they just aren't looking. I know of other fairly large parks in the region that have no caches. People are free to place caches in them. In fact I have one on my radar and have been thinking of filling it up with caches if I can find enough unique places. I've been thinking about it for about 8 years. I haven't gotten around to it yet. If someone else beats me to it, all the better. It gives me more caches to find.

BTW from what I understand of Slukster's hides in Branch Brook Park it really isn't one of those mind numbing power trails where there are dozens, or hundreds of identical caches. Each cache stands on its own as a unique cache so it technically isn't a power trail.

I have a few caches in this park and I don't feel the slightest bit guilty. It was there for years for anybody to hide caches there.

Edited by briansnat

The park is located in Newark NJ. If you are unfamiliar with the city here are the crime stats:

5348274964_33c343193b.jpg

How does that compare to your hometown of Durham, NC?

I believe this is the reason that no caches have been placed in the park in the last 10 years. I came across this park while visiting the annual "Cherry Blossom" festival in the park and realized that although the park is located in one of the most crime ridden cities in NJ, this park was beautiful and in a "safe" area of northern Newark. I enjoy the logs of cachers who stated that they were a bit wary of coming to the park because of the location but they were pleasantly surprised at how beautiful the park is and they did not feel unsafe.

If you read my cache pages and look at the pic that I provide of each cache container, you will see that each cache is different and would stand alone as a decent cache hide, not a repetitious series of like caches. I have micros, smalls and 1 regular container. One is hidden in a tree, another by a police memorial, one you have to climb partially into a tree, another is a hide-a-key on a guardrail (what powertrail would be complete without one of those :D)and the final provides a beautiful view of a historic cathedral. And since I did not hide them exactly .10 miles apart and was not looking to fill the entire park there actually still is lots of room in the park for more caches. And some nice hiding areas are available at that (I had scoped many other locations in the park but they were too far from the road to which I wanted them to be quickly accessible if someone wanted to drive the trail).

What I like most is that this trail has brought cachers from outside of the area, not just local cachers, who probably come for the numbers but end up finding a beautiful park and I hope a wonderful caching experience. I would venture to say that most cachers would not come anywhere near this park if it wasn't for my caches.

P.S. I hope this doesn't annoy you any further but I actually have 4 other caches on the very north end of the park. I am SO selfish. :ph34r:

Edited by slukster

BTW from what I understand of Slukster's hides in Branch Brook Park it really isn't one of those mind numbing power trails where there are dozens, or hundreds of identical caches. Each cache stands on its own as a unique cache so it technically isn't a power trail.

When I named the cache series "Branch Brook Park Power Trail" it was kind of with tongue-in-cheek. I knew it could not compare to what most would consider a power trail and I even poke fun at my calling it one in the cache description:

5348350788_5e7e532824_b.jpg

Can we please get this thread back on topic and continue sharing power trail locations?

Heres one on Santa Rosa rd Buellton CA. I believe it was done as a birthday thing called Nifty At Fifty or NaF. there are more of these across the town and a warm up run on Alisal Rd coming out of Solvange. The Santa Rosa one has more then 80 I think but the really good part about it is along this whole road are winery's if you get a little thirsty. first cache 20 mile

When I named the cache series "Branch Brook Park Power Trail" it was kind of with tongue-in-cheek. I knew it could not compare to what most would consider a power trail and I even poke fun at my calling it one in the cache description:

Can we please get this thread back on topic and continue sharing power trail locations?

The original power trails were placed as you described - a mix of different container types. Usually the reviewers wouldn't let one person place so many in a row, so they're usually placed by several people. The first person places cache 1, 5, 9, etc then the second places 2, 6, 10 etc until there's a cache every 0.10 miles.

These new "speed trails" or whatever are something else entirely. The idea is to place as many in a row as possible so cachers can set new records for how many they found in a day. Sometimes these trails form pictures on the map, but not always.

I may try one of these speed trails out someday, but I far prefer remembering each cache I visit (even if it's just an LPC) to hundreds of identical containers with copy/paste descriptions.

And a separate thread for Geo art.

I didn't create this or even found any of them, but plan to soon. The MCP (Must Come Play) series a few miles south of San Antonio, TX has 107 caches mostly between Poteet and Devine. Each cache page talks about different games - monopoly, charades, monkeys in a barrel, etc... Here's the first in the series - http://coord.info/GC25ZRK It goes south then east from there. They are spaced out at first, then get closer together.

I didn't create this or even found any of them, but plan to soon. The MCP (Must Come Play) series a few miles south of San Antonio, TX has 107 caches mostly between Poteet and Devine. Each cache page talks about different games - monopoly, charades, monkeys in a barrel, etc... Here's the first in the series - http://coord.info/GC25ZRK It goes south then east from there. They are spaced out at first, then get closer together.

I'm not seeing the trail south or east from the cache you linked to. I did, however, see lots and lots of caches just west of Ft. Sam. I may be spending some time there (7 weeks) later this year. I know where I'll be when I can get leave. :)

Edited by Team GPSaxophone

I have a question...

There are powertrails that are obviously Powertrails. Its like a scale of 1 to 10, and those powertrails are a 10.

But what else constitutes a powertrail by definition?

What if 30 different people, put a cache out that goes down a particular road, each cache is about .1 to .3 a mile from each other. But each put a different and Unique name to their cache. Is this a powertrail?

What if a single person puts a series of caches down a road, each about a .1 to .3 a mile from each other, but again uses a distinct and unique name for each cache, and doesn't officially call it a powertrail series. Is this a Powertrail?

Does a powertrail specifically have to be down a so called hiking/walking/biking trail or road? Can one create a trail say through the woods/forrest (Assuming they have permission to do so from the land owner) but this trail of caches isn't on a predefined pathway?

The only reason I ask... is where is the "FINE LINE" between it just being a bunch of caches placed in proximity to each other & it being a "powertrail"????

Honestly, I don't know to much about the powertrails in Nevada, or in Ca down US-66. I have created short powertrails here in the Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex. All currently are 20 caches or less. I am working on one powertrail that will soon be 30 caches.

I "THINK" they are powertrails. Those who have found them seem to enjoy them. My powertrails though also include Multi's, and Mystery caches as well. Using all cache container size ratings as well. (At least till the nano size becomes available)

Just curious is all.

TGC

I'm not seeing the trail south or east from the cache you linked to. I did, however, see lots and lots of caches just west of Ft. Sam. I may be spending some time there (7 weeks) later this year. I know where I'll be when I can get leave. :)

We'll be happy to have you here in San Antonio!

Yeah, the power trail I was talking about starts slow, but picks up in density further on. Here's #99 in the series. You should be able to follow it to both end from there. http://coord.info/GC266PT