Archived Earthcaches

JL_HSTRE

Browsing through the list of a local cacher's hides, I found an Earthcache that was archived when the guidelines for those were changed. This earthcache didn't meet the requirement that "Logging of EarthCaches must involve visitors undertaking some educational task."

1A) If I wanted to see about adopting the cache is it too late since the guideline change happened back in 2006?

1B) If adopting it could be allowed, how do I go about that? Message the CO to okay the adoption then message geoaware with a pitch on how to revise the listing to the new guidelines?

2) Assuming the cache remains Archived: since the cache is not Locked (like Locationless caches are), if I met the listed requirements on the cache page (actually visited the location and posted the requested photo - NOT armchair logging) could I post a Find even though it's Archived? It seems technically possible (i.e. the website will let me), but I don't know if the CO is also justified in deleting my log since the cache is archived. Unlike a normal cache in which Archived means there is no cache to find thus logging a Find is bogus, the Earthcache can still be found even if is not allowed to be logged.

Edited by joshism

The best thing to do is just redo it yourself to meet current guidelines. The froggie is extremely reluctant to unarchive.

Many archived caches can be logged. Sometimes they get locked but if it shows the log visit I think you csn.

Yeah, after about 1 year (my memory is foggy), us Earthcache owners were told to add the ol' "task" requirement, or the cache would be archived. This was added after Earthcaches were temporarily moved to Waymarking, and allowed to come back to Geocaching.com. And many an earthcache was archived, usually placed by then inactive Geocachers, or those who just weren't paying attention to the "threat".

I'll go out on a limb and say they'd never let you adopt it. :D You could try to log, it probably isn't locked, but you never know. I agree, go for it and submit a new listing. If the original owner is still active, I'd personally ask if they don't mind if you re-listed it, but that's just me.

EDIT: I see you say it isn't locked, you probably tested it. I wouldn't log it, but you probably can, an no one is going to call the Geocaching Police (probably). ;)

Edited by Mr.Yuck

Browsing through the list of a local cacher's hides, I found an Earthcache that was archived when the guidelines for those were changed. This earthcache didn't meet the requirement that "Logging of EarthCaches must involve visitors undertaking some educational task."

1A) If I wanted to see about adopting the cache is it too late since the guideline change happened back in 2006?

1B) If adopting it could be allowed, how do I go about that? Message the CO to okay the adoption then message geoaware with a pitch on how to revise the listing to the new guidelines?

2) Assuming the cache remains Archived: since the cache is not Locked (like Locationless caches are), if I met the listed requirements on the cache page (actually visited the location and posted the requested photo - NOT armchair logging) could I post a Find even though it's Archived? It seems technically possible (i.e. the website will let me), but I don't know if the CO is also justified in deleting my log since the cache is archived. Unlike a normal cache in which Archived means there is no cache to find thus logging a Find is bogus, the Earthcache can still be found even if is not allowed to be logged.

Please check some of the recently locked threads in the Earthcache forums on this subject. One thread is still open on redeveloping archived EC's. You should be able to find all the information that you need already posted.

Edited by Manville Possum Hunters

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the Earthcaching forum. Since this question is a bit different than the recently active threads, I think this topic can stay open on its own.

In passing, I wanted to link to the Knowledge Book page on adoptions. As stated there, archived caches cannot be adopted. In addition, I can advise the OP that caches cannot be unarchived for purposes of facilitating an adoption. To my knowledge, this guidance also applies to earthcaches.

Since this question is a bit different than the recently active threads, I think this topic can stay open on its own.

Regarding Questions 1A and 1B:

Archived Earthcaches

Regarding Question 2:

Logging Archived Earthcaches

You can find a host of related material using the handy Search function on the Forums. I don't see much to be gained by discussing it any further.

Regarding Question 2:

Logging Archived Earthcaches

You can find a host of related material using the handy Search function on the Forums. I don't see much to be gained by discussing it any further.

I tried the search feature and found that thread, but when I skimmed it the thread didn't seem to answer my question. However, reading it more carefully now I see that buried in there it is indeed addressed directly.

Quoteth geoaware: "I would support the locking of all archived EarthCaches so people can't log them."

I also feel a bit foolish for forgetting there was a dedicated Earthcaches subforum. :anicute:

Thanks for the links to the relevant threads.