Email from The Frog says I have a new souvenir, but...

Viridios

I'm trying to catch up on my logging. The find in Vermont was in 2009.

Vermont Log

If suv's don't show up for backlogs, then that's gonna be a problem for a lot of people who are severely behind (like my whole family).

Yep, that's the issue (and one that I raised internally weeks ago). I just spoke to Raine about fixing this once and for all. It won't correct your issue, but will fix it for similar situations moving forward. I'll get your name added to the list of people who have encountered this problem so that you will get the proper awarding of the Vermont souvenir eventually.

Sorry for the hassle.

As a workaround, would it be possible to log a find that you actually found in 2009 with a log date for "today", then go back and edit the log to the correct date? It would be still be a hassle, but it would be less of a hassle, and would only need to be done for caches for which you want to retroactively claim a souvenir.

My problem now, is that I logged a cache in VT a couple days ago, and the suv still hasn't shown up yet. :unsure: Does it take a while for them to register, or is it supposed to be right away?

What cache did you log in Vermont and what is the log date? I'll take a look and see if I can track down the problem.

Can you help me with getting the Iowa souvenir?

My problem now, is that I logged a cache in VT a couple days ago, and the suv still hasn't shown up yet. :unsure: Does it take a while for them to register, or is it supposed to be right away?

What cache did you log in Vermont and what is the log date? I'll take a look and see if I can track down the problem.

I don't know if you helped me Moun10bike or if they got the bugs out, but my Iowa souvenir is in my profile today! Thanks.

I don't know if you helped me Moun10bike or if they got the bugs out, but my Iowa souvenir is in my profile today! Thanks.

Me too, but no email. Looks like they might have squished a bug, and everything's cool now.

Me too, but no email. Looks like they might have squished a bug, and everything's cool now.

I commented on the Feedback issue that was started about the missing Iowa/Florida souvenirs (I can't remember if I voted on it). I got an auto-email message last night indicating that the problem has been fixed.

This, to me, demonstrates that the feedback site works. If you encounter a problem, report it using the Feedback site. When someone from Groundspeaks looks at it they'll post a status message indicating that they've verified the problem and have created an issue in their internal tracking system. That generated an email message so that the reporter of the problem is aware that it's being addressed. Once it's fixed you'll get another status update so that the reporter of the problem and anyone else that took the time to comment on it because they encountered to same symptoms will know when it's been fixed.

Vermont Log

If suv's don't show up for backlogs, then that's gonna be a problem for a lot of people who are severely behind (like my whole family).

Yep, that's the issue (and one that I raised internally weeks ago). I just spoke to Raine about fixing this once and for all. It won't correct your issue, but will fix it for similar situations moving forward. I'll get your name added to the list of people who have encountered this problem so that you will get the proper awarding of the Vermont souvenir eventually.

Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks so much. B)

Amber, I just manually added the Vermont souvenir for you. Sorry it took so long!

Vermont Log

Sorry for the hassle.

Thanks so much. B)

Amber, I just manually added the Vermont souvenir for you. Sorry it took so long!

No worries, thanks for doing that for me, Jon! :)

Edited by Ambrosia

We just re-ran the retroactive awarding of the Florida souvenir. This should clear up the instances of where it failed to appear on the profiles of those who should have it. Please let me know if you still see problems.

Thanks for the quick fix! Yes, now the Florida souvenir is on the profile.

Edited by shopkprbass

Just to throw this out there - I believe that you can earn a souvenir just by running a search or maybe creating a pocket query for particular areas. I created a pq for an area in Alabama recently for my daughter to take with her on her visit there. I received a souvenir for that, although I never found anything there.

You don't get souvenirs for running PQs, but you do for searches in the correct area with the iPhone or Android app. We are looking to change that as it is not logical; the designers were more familiar with smartphone apps than geocaching.

Ok - I think I know where it came from. I was visiting my son at school which is approx 20 miles east of Alabama. I think I did a search on my iPhone for nearby caches while I was there. (that would be the only kind of search I do on the iPhone app, other than saved pqs) I guess some Alabama ones were on the list somewhere.

You don't get souvenirs for running PQs, but you do for searches in the correct area with the iPhone or Android app. We are looking to change that as it is not logical; the designers were more familiar with smartphone apps than geocaching.

Ok - I think I know where it came from. I was visiting my son at school which is approx 20 miles east of Alabama. I think I did a search on my iPhone for nearby caches while I was there. (that would be the only kind of search I do on the iPhone app, other than saved pqs) I guess some Alabama ones were on the list somewhere.

I posted a Feedback issue which suggests turning off the awarding of souvenirs merely by using the search function on the iPhone, Android (and I assume Windows 7) official geocaching app. Although it didn't get a huge number of votes, I got email yesterday of a status update from Jeremy indicating that the issue is under review. It was incidents like yours which prompted me to make the suggestion. I also thought it would be kind of odd to be able to use the mobile app to obtain a souvenir while in transit through a layover airport on a cross country trip. For example, next month I'm going to be flying somewhere and have a 1 hour layover in Dallas. Since I've never found a cache in Texas I could still get a souvenir from that state as soon as we land and the flight attendant announces that the use of a mobile phone is allowed.

Never contacted the frog or the elves regarding souvenirs.

We got our first one on 10/10/10 and then they started building from there with the release of the U.S. and German states, the other countries in Europe (Portugal, Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland), and the A.P.E. cache. We should have around 30 now, if my count is right.

As new souvenirs have been released, we get emails saying we have been retroactively awarded [x] souvenir, but if you go to our profile you can see they're just not there. We've gotten responses of "we're looking into it," but otherwise no change for, what, 3 weeks now?

Hi hzoi,

This problem should be corrected on your profile now. It was caused by reaching a certain threshold (number) of souvenirs. We've fixed what was triggering the system to choke and things should be working properly now.

They're back, in all their glory and splendor. Thanks for the Heimlich maneuver.

I have also experienced the issues mentioned above. Souvenirs here one day and gone the next, souvenirs for places I havent been, and I also have some on my I-phone that are different than the ones on the computer. WHY??? Someone please explain.

Thanks,

Richard

Let me guess. The ones are your iPhone are the Delaware souvenir and one from Germany.

Thanks. That made good sense.

I have, however, earned an early locationless cache which was originally posted from a cacher in Delaware, so I assumed I earned that one, but it doesn't appear on my official GC souvenir collection, which isn't a problem.

If I un-install the GC app from my phone, then re-install it, does the situation correct itself? I haven't tried.