Moderators

mattfen

Why is it that cache moders always seem to be inexperienced ? Everyone of them that I note has less than 10 cache finds...

Why mention it ? Well some of my local caches have been archived due to internet observations rather than cache obs. - and the mod lives over 200 miles away...hmmmm

i know forums require moderation, I know caches need moderation but give the job to people that understand the 'game' not those that have found 2, 8, 10 (max) caches only.

What is the job spec to be a cache moderator ? I'd rather a keen cacher be given the job rather than someone who has found some out of duty rather than enthusiasm...

Why is it that cache moders always seem to be inexperienced ? Everyone of them that I note has less than 10 cache finds...

Why mention it ? Well some of my local caches have been archived due to internet observations rather than cache obs. - and the mod lives over 200 miles away...hmmmm

i know forums require moderation, I know caches need moderation but give the job to people that understand the 'game' not those that have found 2, 8, 10 (max) caches only.

What is the job spec to be a cache moderator ? I'd rather a keen cacher be given the job rather than someone who has found some out of duty rather than enthusiasm...

:lol: :lol: Either a very good wind-up, or the answer is.....it wouldn't look very good if they all went out FTF hunting, with all the puzzles solved, so they have to be impartial. Much as I liked the vision of a load of noobs hitting the "archive" button caused by rumours printed in the Daily Wail. :lol: (and they have "real" caching names that are different from their mod persona.)

Edited by Santa_Claws

I'd rather a keen cacher be given the job rather than someone who has found some out of duty rather than enthusiasm...

That is pretty much the criteria and a good description of all of them (afaik :laughing: ). As mentioned, the Mod usernames are separate from their 'real' names and i'm sure they do all do out caching rather regularly.

Is it not against GC policy to register with more than one name?

I don't think so. People do it all the time when they have team/individual accounts - or for specific cache hides.

Deci's posted a list of the current UK reviewers and their alter-egos on his blog here

Edited by keehotee
Is it not against GC policy to register with more than one name?
Even if it was, don't you think this is a very special case? Sometimes reviewers prefer not to advertise who they are, but even if their identity is known, it is usful for everyone to understand when that person is acting in an official or in a private capacity.

> i know forums require moderation, I know caches need moderation but give the job to people that understand the 'game'

I think you will find that reviewers ARE chosen from amongst those who do have the greatest understanding of the game :lol:

Rgds, Andy

Well some of my local caches have been archived due to internet observations rather than cache obs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "internet observations rather than cache obs" but the usual process is that if an issue is reported to the reviewers they will post a note on the cache page inviting the owner to respond to the issue, if no response is received then the cache gets archived. Exceptions to this are where there's a clear requirement to disable the cache quickly (e.g. the cache is reported to pose some danger or clearly doesn't have permission to be where it is).

Also, please understand the difference (in geocaching) between the VolunteerForum Moderators and the Volunteer Cache Reviewers:

Not all the UK Cache Reviewers are Forum Moderators - in fact only one of them is - and that's geohatter. The other moderator listed is Mtn-Man, one of Groundspeak's "world-wide" Mods and he only drops in here occasionally.

MrsB :)

Well some of my local caches have been archived due to internet observations rather than cache obs.

I'm not sure what you mean by "internet observations rather than cache obs" but the usual process is that if an issue is reported to the reviewers they will post a note on the cache page inviting the owner to respond to the issue, if no response is received then the cache gets archived. Exceptions to this are where there's a clear requirement to disable the cache quickly (e.g. the cache is reported to pose some danger or clearly doesn't have permission to be where it is).

When an issue is reported we don't always know the circumstances that brought about the problem or the location. For example, someone may contact us to say that to get to the cache you have to climb a fence and cross a field. This would indicate to me that it might be on private land, but I don't know. Crossing a fence may breach one of the guidelines of the Geocaching Association of Great Britain. We temporarily disable such a cache to stop people searching for it (in case it is a serious problem - we'd not want a private landowner offended) and then ask the owner to explain where it is and the way to find it. If the answer is satisfactory we enable the cache again, if not then we investige further with the cache owner. If a landowner has contacted us directly and firmly asked that a cache is removed we'd probably archive the cache straightaway, post a log on it and contact the cache owner and ask for its removal.

As for the original question about our apparent lack of finds.... here is my 'real' identity as half of The Blorenges.

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

All Reviewers are Volunteers, who give up their free time on a unpaid basis to Review caches. So that they can give back to the community. Without that Volunteer Community, you would not have over 70,000 UK caches to chose from.

To give you a idea of the enthusiasm the Reviewers have for this hobby. Here's a personal example.

2 years ago I found myself as the sole UK based Reviewer. To keep up the extremely fast turnaround the UK Reviewers pride themselves on, at that time I was pulling 16-18 hour days reviewing caches and Moderating the Forum (yes I was a Forum Mod). My wife and family can confirm this.

I brought on-board 2 new colleagues in August 2008, and my average workload dropped to 5-6 hours per day. I've sat outside McDonalds using their free WiFi at 21:00 on Christmas Eve publishing a large number of caches :yikes: I've got a 134 day Non Finds streak, yet in that same time, I published Thousands of caches (yes I do know a rough figure, and it's not 1 or 2,000 but significantly higher)

You will not find a more dedicated group of individuals, than the Volunteer Reviewer Community

As to how Reviewers are selected.

The local Reviewers decide that the workload justifies the need for another colleague to share the workload. They Identify possible candidates, looking for someone who has shown a good knowledge and understanding of the Guidelines. Who has shown the ability to work with others, has a good track record on both cache placements and finds [not necessarily in the thousands but not someone with a very low No of finds]. Has not made posts in any of the geocaching forums which could be of concern.

Once a person is identified, the local Reviewers will then submit the persons name to Groundspeak for their consideration. if Groundspeak decide that the person is suitable, They are then taken to the Reviewer Community for their opinion of the person. If this stage is passed successfully, Groundspeak will then make a final consideration, before providing either a yes or a no. If it's a yes, it's at this point that one of the local Reviewers will make contact with the selected person. And ask them to join the Reviewer Team. Not everyone accepts when asked, for variety of reasons.

Deci

The more I read this, the more I think it's a wind up. Good one. :D

If it isn't.........well you can always ask to join their ranks. As well as being mad, you'll also need skin thicker than a rhinos backside - covered in Kevlar.

To alay your fears have a look at my player account.

One of the major factors in my selection was the fact that I was already the forum mod so I was already giving back to the community but add to that my experience as a cacher and hey presto I was offered the job. Also have a feeling that as I was known by two of the existing reviewers my character was able to be assesed and therefore my ability/suitability to do the job.

Paul

Geohatter

.............as I was known by two of the existing reviewers my character was able to be assessed and therefore my ability/suitability to do the job............

And the conversation between the reviewers went something like this -

Mr Graculus; 'I think this guy paulbarratt seems a bit gullible, do you think we could con him into being a reviewer?'

Mr Deci; 'Is he mad?'

Mr Graculus; 'As a box of frogs.'

Mr Deci; 'Have you told him how much work is involved?'

Mr Graculus; 'Of course not.'

Mr Deci; 'And how much grief you get?'

Mr Graculus; 'Nope.'

Mr Deci; 'Cool. Sign him up.'

It's as easy as that. :ph34r:

Mr Deci; 'Is he mad?'

This much I agree with :laughing:

Mr Graculus; 'Nope.'

I already knew the workload and had received my fair share of grief as a mod.

It basically comes down to 'Who are they?', 'What are they like?', 'How insane are they?', 'Do we think they can do the job?'

Paul

Geohatter

This year is flying in already, April the 1st?? ;)

Surely it's not hard to see why the OP got the wrong end of the stick? All he's done is to believe what the website told him. We in the forums know that the UK reviewers all use alter egos, but if I hadn't read the forums, I'm not sure I'd have worked it out either.

And, while I salute the general readiness to leap to the reviewers' defence, it wasn't *that* inflammatory a posting. We've certainly seen far worse responses to a cache getting archived.

Cheers

Richard

.............as I was known by two of the existing reviewers my character was able to be assessed and therefore my ability/suitability to do the job............

And the conversation between the reviewers went something like this -

Mr Graculus; 'I think this guy paulbarratt seems a bit gullible, do you think we could con him into being a reviewer?'

Mr Deci; 'Is he mad?'

Mr Graculus; 'Nope.'

It's as easy as that. :ph34r:

Almost word for word... uncanny... :lol:

Chris

Graculus

Surely it's not hard to see why the OP got the wrong end of the stick? All he's done is to believe what the website told him. We in the forums know that the UK reviewers all use alter egos, but if I hadn't read the forums, I'm not sure I'd have worked it out either.

Yes.

I think it's a genuine question from the OP and it's one that crops up fairly regularly on the Groundspeak forums. It does look a bit strange if you don't happen to know the reasoning behind it.

MrsB

Yes.

I think it's a genuine question from the OP and it's one that crops up fairly regularly on the Groundspeak forums. It does look a bit strange if you don't happen to know the reasoning behind it.

MrsB

Why not use aka's (sp) next to the reviewer name? Avoids the confusion for anyone who doesn't use the forums.

This year is flying in already, April the 1st?? ;)

Surely it's not hard to see why the OP got the wrong end of the stick? ......

You're probably right, but I still found it funny. I wouldn't describe his post as inflammatory at all. Hopefully the OP'r now sees the funny side now as well. :)

I agree with all of the above :D

Surely it's not hard to see why the OP got the wrong end of the stick?

There is a considerable gulf between 'getting the wrong end of the stick' and 'mouthing off about something about which one happens to have got the wrong end of the stick'. I guess that's public forums. :unsure:

All he's done is to believe what the website told him.

Ha. More fule him.

I have read in the general Geocaching forum that some reviewers are dogs. I'm not sure if any of the UK team are canine.
I know he isn't actually part of the UK team but mtn-man is a dog, isn't he?? :unsure::blink:
He has a dog with its own caching account, but is a human himself. As a suggestion, shouldn't Mods and Reviewers have a note on their profile explaining the nature of the account and a link -if so desired- to their active caching account? It might help avoid confusion, as per the OP.
I have read in the general Geocaching forum that some reviewers are dogs. I'm not sure if any of the UK team are canine.
I know he isn't actually part of the UK team but mtn-man is a dog, isn't he?? :unsure::blink:
He has a dog with its own caching account, but is a human himself.

No No No!!!! The dog has an owner which feeds him, but all of the work is done by the dog. I thought this was a known fact?? :anitongue::rolleyes:

No No No!!!! The dog has an owner which feeds him, but all of the work is done by the dog. I thought this was a known fact?? :anitongue::rolleyes:

If I remember rightly it was the dog that judged the first photo competition last January. If he can judge a picture comp, this reviewing lark must be a piece of cake! ;)

Great Zot !

that one turned into a really wild thread - I now figure out how I was lured on to the GAGB Committee (But as my old Sergeant often said:-

"If you can't take a joke Son, you shouldn't have joined")looking forward to meeting some of the other loons at one mega or another

Woof Woof

I always thought that "Mtn-man" is the dogs sock/reviewer account... :blink: