Garmin GPS 78sc

Hello all,

I am new to geo caching and handheld GPS's. However, I am not new to GPS's in general, I am familiar with GPS's for that I have a GPS on my boats. I currently have the new Garmin 78sc handheld, my main purpose of use is for Marine. This individual handheld comes at a staggering price of $500. I cannot really understand what is so special about the handheld. I am still trying to figure that out. It seems to be accurate and pick up satellite signal rather quickly. I do know that it has the 3 axis compass, but I am not really sure exactly what that is.

So my question for you here today is, what is the best hand held out on the market today, not necessarily made by Garmin. But what is the best Handheld GPS for Marine use? I would be using this device for 90% marine use and 10% inland. The reason for inland use is because I am a diver and I have some inland springs that I like to dive that are deep in the woods that are impossible to get too without a GPS of some sort.

I just bought this Garmin and have 30 days to take it back. I have used it once, and it seems to work fine but I have had some friends tell me that the Garmin 60sCX is currently going for $199 and will do just as great of a job. I would turn this handheld in, in a heart beat for an equal handheld to save myself $300.

All of your help and in put is greatly appreciate.

Thank you,

-Jeremy.

Greetings and welcome to the game! I'm more familiar with Garmins, so I'll stick with them. As you mentioned a priority for Marine use over caching, I'd suggest comparing your 78cs to the 76CSx (the Marine version of the 60CSx at about the same price). The 76 and 78 both float (although lanyards and locking cradles can help in that area), and provide tide tables, where the 60 is waterproof with no tide tables. The newer 62/78 series provide the 3x compass (so you don't have to hold it flat when not moving), have more on-board memory plus mirco-SD cards (more maps, waypoints, tracks), paperless caching, and I *believe* are compatible with the newer G2 shaded relief maps. Also, as the 62/78 series updates the 60/76 series, at some point Garmin will be phasing out the older versions (in fact, they no longer display the 76CSx on the front page). All that said, the 60CSx is still a highly favored handheld that many still hold as the gold standard of a handheld GPS (although some units with the 3x compass and true paperless caching may be surpassing it as a "geocaching GPS"). About the only other difference between the 60/62 and 76/78 models is the location of the buttons, which is largely a personal preference question.

Hpope this helps, and feel free to ask away if you've any more questions. Cheers!

I think that a lot of the premium in price is because the unit includes charts, and because it floats. If you're looking for a handheld to be used primarily for geocaching, I'd use something other than a marine unit if cost is a concern.

The 60CSx unit you mentioned is an incredible unit. There are newer units that have paperless geocaching capabilities you should consider, though. Take a look at the 62 series (similar to the 60 series) and the Oregon series (touch screen capabilities). You're not going to find them for $200, but they'll be cheaper than the 78SC.

I think that a lot of the premium in price is because the unit includes charts, and because it floats. If you're looking for a handheld to be used primarily for geocaching, I'd use something other than a marine unit if cost is a concern.

The 60CSx unit you mentioned is an incredible unit. There are newer units that have paperless geocaching capabilities you should consider, though. Take a look at the 62 series (similar to the 60 series) and the Oregon series (touch screen capabilities). You're not going to find them for $200, but they'll be cheaper than the 78SC.

Yes.. you are correct that you are paying so much more for the 78Sc because it comes pre-loaded with marine charts for the entire US. They are the g2 charts which are the newer generation. They are NOT tghe g2 "Vision" chats.

The 78 series is more geared toward marine use since they do float. The new 62 series does not float.

If you don't want or need charts, than I'd suggest the 76CSx. But you are going to have to buy chats for it and the charts are expensive.

Also... I don't know what type of marine use you mean, but the pre-loaded charts are coastal charts and not inland lakes.

I have a 76CSx and it's been great, but I had to buy the charts I needed by region, and that added up.

I'd go for the 78Sc now-a-days since the chats are for all regions in the US.