finding your own challenge caches?

JL_HSTRE

I know normally it is considered very bad form to log a Find on a cache you placed.

Does this include Challenge Caches? The only reason I would think this might be different is that while you had to visit the location to place the container there is no requirement (that I'm aware of) that someone placing a Challenge Cache has met the requirements for the challenge.

It would include challenge caches for me. I hid it. I know where it is. How can I "find" it?

As was pointed out here there are two parts to a challenge cache, meeting the challenge and actually finding the cache. Conceivably some can meet the challenge, but get skunked by the actual cache. The CO has a definite advantage, being that he knows where the container is.

Edited by briansnat

AFAIK, a challenge cache is the same as any other, except that you have to meet some kind of challenge (stand on your head for 2 days; find the mole people and thumb wrestle their leader; etc.) first.

Then you simply go and find the cache like any other traditional cache. So you still have to look for it and find it. Meeting the challenge is only the first step.

There are two parts to logging a Found it! on a Challenge cache.

1. complete the requirements

2. find the cache

The owner should probably have done #1 before they post the Challenge, and they can't really do #2 at all.

If you are thinking of creating such a cache, please include a note to the reviewer demonstrating either that you have met the challenge yourself, or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so.

Mystery section of the listing guidelines where you'll find the quote above about creating Challenge Caches.

this topic has been here over and over. The owner cant find it in my opinion, as much as I wish I could find my two. Its too easy to write a challenge just based on stuff only you did and besides, you hid it. If the owner has their heart set on it, have it created on another account or have a friend list it for you.

For instance, this is my sarcasm, how about this for a challenge? Find every active cache that the CO (you) has found. Wow, instant qualification!

I know normally it is considered very bad form to log a Find on a cache you placed.

Does this include Challenge Caches? The only reason I would think this might be different is that while you had to visit the location to place the container there is no requirement (that I'm aware of) that someone placing a Challenge Cache has met the requirements for the challenge.

From the Knowledge Books (bold emphasis is mine):

"Challenge cache owners must demonstrate that the challenge is attainable. Reviewers may ask the cache owner to demonstrate that they have previously met the challenge and/or that a substantial number of other geocachers would be able to do so."

I have placed 4 challenges of my own and for three of them I was asked by my reviewer to demonstrate that I had in fact met the requirements of the challenge. This wasn't possible for the fourth one as it couldn't be found for almost a year after it was placed.

I think one situation where I can see a CO logging a find on their own challenge cache is when it is the complete 81 grid aka Fizzy grid challenge as that is a significant challenge to meet. It's not about finding your own cache, it's about completing your own challenge.

If we got rid of the silliness of recognizing accomplishments by hiding caches that only people who have met some challenge can find, we wouldn't have this problem. If you got a souvenir for completing a challenge, nobody would care if the challenge owner got the souvenir when he completes his own challenge. But instead we have this system where if you complete a challenge you get to log a find on a bonus cache. Now we have people complete a challenge but since they are the owner of the bonus cache they really can't go find their own cache. They must feel like the barber who only shaves the men in the village of clean shaven men who don't shave themselves. Who shaves the barber?

The Barber's Challenge

In order to log this cache you must own a challenge cache and must have met the challenge on your cache but not have claimed a find on that cache.

Can the owner of the Barber's Challenge log a find on his cache?

Too bad this cache wouldn't be approve since it requires you to own a challenge cache to meet the challenge, and the rules specifically prohibit challenges that require cache ownership.

If we got rid of the silliness of recognizing accomplishments by hiding caches that only people who have met some challenge can find, we wouldn't have this problem.

Sweet. Make more rules. That'll be more fun for everyone. We'll just keep taking things that groups of geocachers don't like, make them against the rules, and see what we're left with when everyone's rule making desires have been met.

Wait, what? The end of geocaching you say? Well I'll be a monkeys uncle... look how that turned out.

I'm completely cool with COs logging their own challenge caches, so long as they met the requirements for it.

I can respect that there are folks for whom this crosses a personal line, but I don't have a problem with it. I think it would be nice if they waited for someone else to log it before they did.

I feel that applies to any cache - if you were present when it was hidden or searched for the cache as a "cache tester" before it was published then you should wait for someone else to log a find before you do. (But I suppose that's a topic for another thread...)

Edited by joshism

I would never consider logging my own challenge cache.

You certainly can if you like, and I'll be the owner will let it stand as logged.

I would expect the locals in your community will 'adjust' their opinion of you if you do, however.

If someone in my area did this, I would not look down on it.

I think if you go to the effort to (for example) find a cache in every USA state, then you deserve a little reward.