WWW.MNGEO.COM

glisher

I voted to wach it as well. I think it is sort of an edgy thing but if this continues next thing you know, we are going to find people having all their friends get a geo account and then the whole family will log a travel bug several dozend times a day....or we start playing ping pong back and forth between 2 caches.

I think there needs to be more regulatory action taken on these Top Ten lists.

And of corse to use the famous words of many fellow cachers...That's just my humble opinion.

So Long grinchtv.gif Eagleflyby

No need to wack it, I think.

As I said in the original thread on this, the problem is the way it allows people to log it who just see the number attached to something. That's not tracking the bug, that's tracking where the number has spread. That's a chain letter, or spam. The point of travel bugs is to see where the BUG (i.e. the unique item attached to the tag) has gone, not the number.

I also said those ideas for hitchhikers are in themselves interesting, but they should be done outside the Travel Bug game because they create their own set of rules.

Remove those methods of logging from the description, and I think it's fine. There seems to be little controversy, for example, over personal travel bugs that get logged wherever an individual cacher goes, and a stationary bug is likely to get logged less often than those.

It does look, though, like the bug page may be becoming a chat room for anyone who found the number at least once. That's just wrong.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

"It doesn't take a nucular scientist to pronounce 'foilage'." --Marge Simpson

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

Since there were only two choices, I voted to whack it because I believe it is clearly a violation of the spirit of the game.

My first preference would be to erase the bug's history and start it over on a legitimate journey. Let the travel bug travel! icon_biggrin.gif

Worldtraveler

This is the right answer. Don't whack. Restart. Brilliant! icon_smile.gif

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

So what did you decide to do?

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

quote:
Originally posted by Planet:

So what did you decide to do?

You? you who?

the bugs owner, CB-GPSERS never replied to this forum as far as i can tell....

CB-GPSERS' prfile...

http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=50029

http://www.scubaboard.com/images/smilies/whack.gif

The one who started this thread.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

"It doesn't matter whether you're going somewhere or nowhere, whether you're doing something or nothing. If you're doing it in a boat it's the best time ever!" -Water Rat from "The Wind in the Willows" by Kenneth Grahame (a book I picked up in a cache)

As near as I can tell, the only rules for TB's are that there are no rules. icon_smile.gif In the announcement page for them, we are encouraged to be creative and explore new ways to use them. If a bug doesn't fit your narrow definition of what a TB "should" be then just ignore it...life's too short to worry about stuff like this.

quote:
Originally posted by worldtraveler:

quote:
Originally posted by welch:

...whats glisher trying to decide?

Glisher is not trying to decide anything. He started this poll because of a statement made by the travel bug's owner in http://opentopic.Groundspeak.com/0/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=1750973553&f=8080979883&m=4900936735&p=1. I think the question was actually intended for http://www.geocaching.com/profile/default.asp?A=50029&u=6560915354, the owner of http://www.geocaching.com/track/track_detail.asp?ID=8809 that is the center of the controversy.

Make sense now? icon_confused.gif

Worldtraveler

I get it. I misread the post, thought YOU were the one saying you'd whack the bug.

Cache you later,

Planet

spacecraft.gif

quote:
As near as I can tell, the only rules for TB's are that there are no rules. In the announcement page for them, we are encouraged to be creative and explore new ways to use them. If a bug doesn't fit your narrow definition of what a TB "should" be then just ignore it...life's too short to worry about stuff like this
My sentiments exactly!!! There is starting to be too many "Geo-Police" out there!!! So why don't those of you who get off on trying to control everybody else and make more rules to restrict the rest of us find someplace else to do it!!!

Think Globally, Act Locally