when i tried a search by zip code..

bonblu

i tried a search by zip code this morning for the town i work in (zip=47546) and searched a 3 mile radius.

it brought up 4 caches, in a different (nearby) zip code....anyone know why that happened?

thanks,

bonblu

Zipcode search should find the nearest caches to the center of the zipcode but not limited to that zipcode.

If you did a 20 mile radius there would most assuredly be many zip codes included in the results.

Does that answer your question or did I misunderstand?

i tried a search by zip code this morning for the town i work in (zip=47546) and searched a 3 mile radius.

it brought up 4 caches, in a different (nearby) zip code....anyone know why that happened?

thanks,

bonblu

Zipcode search should find the nearest caches to the center of the zipcode but not limited to that zipcode.

If you did a 20 mile radius there would most assuredly be many zip codes included in the results.

thanks,

bonblu

thanks. but i used to do a search on this zip code and there are LOTS of caches within it (from center)....the nearby zip results that it gave me are probably more like 13 miles away....

the local ones don't show up...?

thanks,

bonblu

thanks. but i used to do a search on this zip code and there are LOTS of caches within it (from center)....the nearby zip results that it gave me are probably more like 13 miles away....

some that should show up within this radius: cabinetland, bark!bark!bark!, JYSC #1, VUJC, WallyWorld....just to name a few that i've found in the past...

bonblu

thanks,

bonblu

some that should show up within this radius: cabinetland, bark!bark!bark!, JYSC #1, VUJC, WallyWorld....just to name a few that i've found in the past...

bonblu

Oh sorry didn't understand. Just for kicks I did the same search and it came up with 4 results total. I did n't realize that. So I went to google and typed the same zip. And both maps center on the same area. I am guessing it is a problem with google maps.

thanks,

bonblu

bonblu

Oh sorry didn't understand. Just for kicks I did the same search and it came up with 4 results total. I did n't realize that. So I went to google and typed the same zip. And both maps center on the same area. I am guessing it is a problem with google maps.

I would report the problem to google and search by GC number until it is fixed. Type a GCxxxx number for a cache near the area you are looking for.

thanks,

bonblu

bonblu

Not necessarily, it's not so much a google maps issue as is a geocoding issue.

What is geocoding you may ask?

Geocoding is basically a mechanism for resolve a feature, sometimes called a "place name" to a set of lat/long coordinates. That feature could be a zipcode, the name of a city, a specific address, or almost anything else. Many travel web sites allow you to search based on airport codes (i.e. LGA for La Guardia airport) or a city name (New York City).

When you enter a zipcode into the box, the system has to use some data source to lookup that number to get a set of lat/long coordinates then will display geocaches within the specified radius from those coordinates. The thing is, there are a few different sources of data and if the data source is changed it might result in a different set of lat/long values than you may have seen previously.

Awhile back I tried several different ways to search for caches in my area. I entered the zip code, just the city/state name, the city/state *and* zipcode, and on some other variation on a different form. I ended up with four different sets of center points for the search.

Probably the best way to do a search for caches close to where you live is to set you home coordinates in your profile, then base your searches on your home coordinates.

thanks,

bonblu

bonblu

Not necessarily, it's not so much a google maps issue as is a geocoding issue.

What is geocoding you may ask?

Geocoding is basically a mechanism for resolve a feature, sometimes called a "place name" to a set of lat/long coordinates. That feature could be a zipcode, the name of a city, a specific address, or almost anything else. Many travel web sites allow you to search based on airport codes (i.e. LGA for La Guardia airport) or a city name (New York City).

When you enter a zipcode into the box, the system has to use some data source to lookup that number to get a set of lat/long coordinates then will display geocaches within the specified radius from those coordinates. The thing is, there are a few different sources of data and if the data source is changed it might result in a different set of lat/long values than you may have seen previously.

Awhile back I tried several different ways to search for caches in my area. I entered the zip code, just the city/state name, the city/state *and* zipcode, and on some other variation on a different form. I ended up with four different sets of center points for the search.

Probably the best way to do a search for caches close to where you live is to set you home coordinates in your profile, then base your searches on your home coordinates.

What you say may very well be true but the coordinates in his area are not coming up a little off. It is more like the zipcode is being read wrong. Every zipcode I tried near him came in the center of a zipcode down and to the right of the proper area. This was true on google.com but not true on a zipcode map that uses google maps. So my guess they got a glitch that is going on right now.

If it were off by a little this is not bad but we are talking several zipcodes mapped completely wrong.