RIP Colorado..Hello Oregon...need some help!

akacake

My 2 yr old Colorado 300 died.....not sure what was wrong with it...just wouldn't start up past the Garmin welcome page...

Anyways, I just bought an Oregon 450 and it is quite a bit different as far as the geocaching pages are concerned...any tips would be appreciated.

I am used to the click wheel of the Colorado, click on geocaches and there is the whole list, click on one and you have all its info etc.

With the Oregon this is what I am having troubles with: I press the geocaches icon, select a cache and it gives me the blue arrow with the purple line...but where is the other info, distance to cache etc?

Maybe I am making this seem harder than it should be?

thanks for any tips/help.

Cheers, Kelly

My 2 yr old Colorado 300 died.....not sure what was wrong with it...just wouldn't start up past the Garmin welcome page...

Anyways, I just bought an Oregon 450 and it is quite a bit different as far as the geocaching pages are concerned...any tips would be appreciated.

I am used to the click wheel of the Colorado, click on geocaches and there is the whole list, click on one and you have all its info etc.

With the Oregon this is what I am having troubles with: I press the geocaches icon, select a cache and it gives me the blue arrow with the purple line...but where is the other info, distance to cache etc?

Maybe I am making this seem harder than it should be?

thanks for any tips/help.

Cheers, Kelly

I just picked up this unit as well, actually and had a few issues when field testing it tonight. I know that after you select the geocache that you exit out and go to the compass and it is there (press the menu screen within the compass screen and then click large option so you just have the compass), but I am having issues getting used to it as well. I moved from an eTrex Legend HCx to this, to the difference is fairly large for me. If anyone could maybe help with the streamlining of the process, or have any other random bits of information I would need some assistance as well. Thanks for starting this one Kelly, not too soon.

jason

Cheers, Kelly

I dont know how this is. When you click on the name of a cache it should show you all the info and logs. The only thing it wont show you is the hint, you have to be navigating to the cache for that.

I'll look at my oregon to see what setting is wrong. The best advise I can give anybody it to play with it in the house. Go into every screen every setting page and play with it, there is so much these do and most people who dont like them never learned how to use them because they are so customizable to the way you use it. I have four profiles set up for the type of caching and or driving I am doing.

Not sure if yours is different but on my oregon 400t it doesn't show distance on the cache page but will on the compass or on the map if I have distance to next as one of the fields showing on the screen. I go to setup>map>data fields. Once I have the data fields showing I can touch the ones I want to change and set them to the options they show.

Not sure if yours is different but on my oregon 400t it doesn't show distance on the cache page but will on the compass or on the map if I have distance to next as one of the fields showing on the screen. I go to setup>map>data fields. Once I have the data fields showing I can touch the ones I want to change and set them to the options they show.

Thank you! That worked, I selected dashboard and now the cache page shows everything I need!

Thank you! That worked, I selected dashboard and now the cache page shows everything I need!

the dashboard sometimes is off a few feet for me when finding a cache. The best way is to select a cache to goto and use data fields like this

115.jpg

after you find it or while you are searching you can go to the geocaching menu and choose to see the logs description hint or log the cache as found, plus other stuff.

131.jpg

also here is the find a geocache screen notice the distance and direction under the name.

76.jpg

here is what it looks like when I am using my street maps instead of topo

205.jpg