Pronounciation

gum-nuts

Hi,

We are an English family who live in Western Australia, we have lots of Aussie freinds who are geocachers and have also recently run a geocaching event where we met loads more cachers.

Here in Australia they pronounce caching as CAYSHING and CAYSHES (as in rhymes with hay!)

As Brits we pronounce it CASHING or CASHES

I have read somewhere on the website that it should be pronounced CASHING but can't quite convince the Aussies!

What do you call it?

Remember that old song "You say Toe-mayto, I say Toe-mar-toe?" The English language with all its quirks is fascinating. I've heard it pronounced "cayshing" by our Antipodean cousins...we say "cashing" here in Canada. I suppose some non-geocachers may think I'm off to the bank.......

At least it isn't an embarrassing word - I used the English word for eraser when I first moved here from the UK. Was my face red when I realised why everyone was looking at me with a shocked expression!

Remember that old song "You say Toe-mayto, I say Toe-mar-toe?" The English language with all its quirks is fascinating. I've heard it pronounced "cayshing" by our Antipodean cousins...we say "cashing" here in Canada. I suppose some non-geocachers may think I'm off to the bank.......

At least it isn't an embarrassing word - I used the English word for eraser when I first moved here from the UK. Was my face red when I realised why everyone was looking at me with a shocked expression!

As long as you didn't use it in the same sentence as the colloquial for "cigarette".

Also "pronunciation", even though it sounds different than "pronounce". It's a funny language.

no kidding.

why is naturally blowing air pronounced wind, but the tightening of a spring in a clock pronounced wind?

and when you've finished winding the clock, why is it that you've then wound the clock, but when it's an injury it's a wound?

why is the heavy metal pronounced lead, but when you're showing others the way, it's to lead?

english has no consistency in pronunciation. or spelling for that matter, depends on how you look at it.

"When in Rome, do as the Romans do."

Australians go geocayshing, Americans and Brits go geocashing. At least we can all agree to spell it geocaching.

(I've never understood why we say left-tenant when it's obvious it should be lute-tenant. Lieutenant.)

MrsB

Well, here in this part of the deep south (Florida) we say it geocashing, too.

MrsB, on a side note about the Lieutenant pronunciation, heres the most widely accepted explanation:

The word was initially used by the French. The letters U and V were not established prior to the 18th century. The old French variant of leuf for the modern French lieu, meaning "place" may explain the pronunciation difference. Since the original version of English did not make a distinction between "u" and "v", the word was originally used as "lievtenant", which may mirror more closely the original French form with the "f".

There is a propensity of using French words in unusual ways, one of them also explaining why Brits use the word "loo", which was based on a version of the French "gardez l'eau", where they would toss their waste from the top floor.

Now if you will excuse me I need to go withdraw some caysh from the ATM. :lol:

"Cashing" in Canada and probably the US too - though I make no guarantees about the deeeep south.

Also "pronunciation", even though it sounds different than "pronounce". It's a funny language.

Phonetically we say Geokashing. (some Southerner's may add a few a's and/or drop the g)

United States: Florida...we pronounce it cashing; according to the website, the individual geocaches are pronounce cashes but some of us like to be unique and pronounce it cashay. Like the e is hyphenated. So, even down south we pronounce it cashing. LOL!

Well, I probably shouldn't say anything, since I'm from the Northeast US.

We seem to be endowed with a vowel sound that no one else has. AW. I'm sorry, but daughter does not sound the same as dotter! Had a custome in Pittsburgh tell me "You should talk to Don about that." "I don't know him." "You talk to her all the time." NO! Dawn and Don are NOT pronounced the same way! Oh, well...

No. I cannot imagine pronouncing geoCASHing any other way.

Australians go geocayshing, Americans and Brits go geocashing. At least we can all agree to spell it geocaching.

(I've never understood why we say left-tenant when it's obvious it should be lute-tenant. Lieutenant.)

MrsB

MrsB, on a side note about the Lieutenant pronunciation, heres the most widely accepted explanation:

The word was initially used by the French. The letters U and V were not established prior to the 18th century. The old French variant of leuf for the modern French lieu, meaning "place" may explain the pronunciation difference. Since the original version of English did not make a distinction between "u" and "v", the word was originally used as "lievtenant", which may mirror more closely the original French form with the "f".

There is a propensity of using French words in unusual ways, one of them also explaining why Brits use the word "loo", which was based on a version of the French "gardez l'eau", where they would toss their waste from the top floor.

Great...now can you riddle me this? Why is COLONEL pronounced KERNAL? ;) That one has bugged me FOREVER, since I was a lill varmint watching M*A*S*H obsessively. ;-)

MrsB

Great...now can you riddle me this? Why is COLONEL pronounced KERNAL? ;) That one has bugged me FOREVER, since I was a lill varmint watching M*A*S*H obsessively. ;-)

I think that somewhere in time, somebody who was a corn lover found this pronounciation more appetizing :lol:

Say the word slowly at first: ko len al then faster and faster. Sooner or later you'll see that you are pronouncing it corenal then kernal. It's just a matter of a lazy tongue. :P

Say the word slowly at first: ko len al then faster and faster. Sooner or later you'll see that you are pronouncing it corenal then kernal. It's just a matter of a lazy tongue. :P

not according to wikipedia, which lists /ˈkɜrnəl/ as the official pronunciation and offers the following explanation:

In modern English, the word colonel is pronounced similarly to kernel (of grain) as a result of entering the language from Middle French in two competing forms, dissimilated coronel and colonel. The more conservative spelling colonel was favored in written use and eventually became the standard spelling even as it lost out in pronunciation to coronel.

of course dissimilation is exactly the phenomenon you describe, so in a way you're right, only that it happened long time ago and isn't the modern/current reason for the difference.

Edited by dfx

LMAO so did i, in a room full of people at work :lol:

LMAO so did i, in a room full of people at work :lol:

Exactly my location and the room was full of patients! My colleague thought it was hilarious...and it was in retrospect.

Try telling the aussies that they pronounce their country's name wrong - most of the aussies I've ever met have said quite clearly "Australier". If nothing else you should be able to get a rise out of them.

We find this same strange behavior here in Washington (the State). For reasons unknown to anyone, including the guilty parties, many people pronounce the name of our fine State as wahrshington. I believe those same people intuitively understand how to correctly pronounce Favre. :laughing:

Try telling the aussies that they pronounce their country's name wrong - most of the aussies I've ever met have said quite clearly "Australier". If nothing else you should be able to get a rise out of them.

More like "Oars-trail-yah"

How to tell a Kiwi from an Aussie - ask them to say 'fish and chips'.

Kiwi "Fush & chups"

Aussie "Feesh & cheeps"

Or...ask them to count to ten. The "i" in "six" when said by a Kiwi, sounds more like an "e." We have a Kiwi friend, by the name of Stephanie or Steph. When we first met, she said "Hi, I'm Stiff." To our then uneducated ears, we thought the long flight from New Zealand to Canada had resulted in muscle cramps or something.

Or...ask them to count to ten. The "i" in "six" when said by a Kiwi, sounds more like an "e." We have a Kiwi friend, by the name of Stephanie or Steph. When we first met, she said "Hi, I'm Stiff." To our then uneducated ears, we thought the long flight from New Zealand to Canada had resulted in muscle cramps or something.

So the "i" is pronounced like an "e" and the "e" is pronounced like an "i"? :blink:

Weird would be wired and wired would be weird. How...odd.

So the "i" is pronounced like an "e" and the "e" is pronounced like an "i"? :blink:

Weird would be wired and wired would be weird. How...odd.

As Anne, my other Kiwi friend would say - "yis." I love listening to different accents and expressions that can be found using the English language.