Garmin's new GTU 10

geojibby

I just saw that this new gadget from Garmin is available for pre-order from GPSCITY. It might be the answer/competition to DeLormes/Spot combo.

Not Hardly!!!

According to Engadget

Garmin GTU 10 GPS locator tracks whatever you want, wherever AT&T's coverage goes

Might as well use a cell phone, most places I want to go a cell doesn't work.

Haahhaahah!! I hadn't seen that part - I assumed it was sat coverage! I guess this is so you don't lose your dog.... :rolleyes:

I just saw that this new gadget from Garmin is available for pre-order from GPSCITY. It might be the answer/competition to DeLormes/Spot combo.

Not Hardly!!!

Might as well use a cell phone, most places I want to go a cell doesn't work.

Why would Garmin invent such a device? I don't get it. Every 2 year old kid these days has a smart phone, you wouldn't track your kid with this. I can't fathom the need for this product. I could see a cool geocache idea, tying this thing to a goat in a heard and strapping a micro cache to its collar, but that's it. ;)

Why would Garmin invent such a device? I don't get it. Every 2 year old kid these days has a smart phone, you wouldn't track your kid with this. I can't fathom the need for this product. I could see a cool geocache idea, tying this thing to a goat in a heard and strapping a micro cache to its collar, but that's it. ;)

I share your skepticism.

Here's more info: Link

I publicly mocked the wireless transfer option in Garmin's GPSrs when it first became available, but later recanted when the chirp device came out. But with this one, I really can't see any good coming from it. :blink:

not everything coming from garmin has to be useful for a geocacher :P

I publicly mocked the wireless transfer option in Garmin's GPSrs when it first became available, but later recanted when the chirp device came out. But with this one, I really can't see any good coming from it. :blink:

Sorry that you have never used the wireless feature on the garmins. I have used it probably 100 times in the past two years. I try to get groups of cachers together all the time to cache and it seems somebody didnt get one of the caches in the area we are caching in so BAM 10 seconds and they have it also.

As for the GTU 10 this is stupid for a cacher to use and think they are being safe. All I have to say is AT&T and going into the woods! Spot seems to be a great thing but to much money for me and I don't want to leave the best GPS's for Delorme.

I guess this is quite an old thread to dredge up, but it's the 1st one that popped up when I searched the topic....

LOL, the 1st use that came to mind was to track my dog but unfortunately after some reading, this unit & coverage does not include New Zealand so I dropped the idea. However another use has come to light- tracking friends while they are racing in triathlons (in the USA) but due to some recent dissapointment with other Garmin products, I would like to be assured it will work in the areas the races may be in, before I waste any more money. I haven't yet found where to confirm/guarantee there will be sufficient coverage. Anyone?