Using LOC files with VantagePoint and the Triton series

BNMac

Hi Fellow Cachers,

We purchased a Magellan Triton 400 a couple years ago, and after a few months of struggles learning the darn thing, I found that Magellan issued a firmware update that fixed many of my frustrations in conjunction with me learning the concepts and interface. Things were working fine, then I purchased a lightly used netbook to use with our caching activities rather than use my workplace machine.

With windows 7, the netbook crashed on occasion while connecting or disconnecting the GPSr, both properly and improperly. The crashes were caused by the MUD.sys (Magellan USB Driver.sys) drivers. Over time, the problem became much worse, to the point where the setup was just not usable. Eventually I had tinkered enough with the setup that I had corrupted the registry (what a nasty concept, especially from a Unix/Macintosh perspective), then finally started all over by formatting the disk and reloading W7. I eventually logged a ticket with Magellan; we went round and round via email, then was eventually told to call their telephone support. When I did, and described the problem, I was told to "Let windows stabilize" as it had been reloaded. It was never resolved while using W7; I eventually loaded XP on the netbook, and no longer had BSOD (blue screen of death) caused by the USB drivers. (I have had daily to weekly usb driver crashes with the LaCrosse weather station, however. I really dislike wintel but don't have much choice with Magellan) I've never had crashes with the DeLorme Earthmate GPS LT-40 or M$'s Streets and Maps with GPS version. (both were gifts; they now set unused on my shelf as I have too many GPS gadgets)

I had updated VantagePoint over time, but found an interesting change on version 1.73 - downloaded LOC files were loaded into VantagePoint as waypoints instead of Geocaches. I pointed this out to Magellan as well, but never got a response. I found this snippit on Magellan's website regarding the fixes to the version history:

What’s new in VantagePoint 1.80

* Support of the eXplorist GC unit

* Support of new waypoint icons and categories

* Importing and Exporting of LOC file are used for waypoints instead of Geocaches

* Ability to publish new Geocache and Geocache logs

Why they made this change, I may never know. I suspect it was a way to encourage the user to upgrade their Groundspeak membership, as downloading and using GPX files work as they always had.

Last month I found a good deal on a new Triton 500, and having a friend of a relative that was interested in caching, I purchased the new unit with the idea of passing the 400 on. We found the 500 to be faulty, and Magellan replaced it, hassle free other than the shipping cost back to them. I shipped them only the handset at their request, They sent a new unit complete with cable which offset the cost of shipping, and preloaded it with the latest firmware.

We gave the Triton 400 to our friend for Christmas; he finally had time yesterday to load VantagePoint on his wintel. After futzing with the setup for a while, I got him up and running. However, I knew that he being a basic member, he can download only LOC files from Geocaching. When we uploaded the LOC files into VantagePoint 2.0, we got a flag and a GC number, nothing more. Ok, so the latest VP is still doing the same thing as I noted above in the "fix" to 1.80. Knowing that Magellan has a server that contains older versions, and having the installers for older versions on my backups, I started searching for info as to the latest version of VP that dealt with LOC files as caches, and found the following version history:

MVP_150, 151, 152 and 160, LOC load as caches.

MVP_173, 180, 194 and 200, LOC files are loaded as waypoints.

Old versions of VantagePoint can be downloaded from Magellan's server using the following syntax:

http://magellan.cachefly.net/MVP_160.exe (Note the case!)

When moving from a version lower than 1.73, you must rename the two user data directories that do not get removed in the add/remove process:

c:\Documents\VantagePoint

c:\Program Files\Magellan

The drivers at c:\MagellanDrivers seem to be fine with moving to an older version, in my experience.

To test this, I had uninstalled and reinstalled all of the above versions starting with 152 over the last couple of days.

BTW, This posting is intended to be informative rather than to ask for help.... Thanks for listening, and it is my hope this post is helpful to others dealing with Magellan's products. If I were to do it all over again, I'd have purchased a Garmin.... but we have had a lot of fun with the Triton. It has taken us to many fun places in search of caches, many places we had been to in years past, and many places we'd never been to in our own region.

Cache on! --BNMac...

Edited by BNMac

I hope this works for me.

I have had a nightmare with tritons. Bought a 200 originally. After a few years, I can say I have had about 10 units all replaced by magellan, several of each upgrade. Each died, usually by freezing. I have had several 500's. I just returned one that died after 4 mos (3 mo warranty) and still got a replacement. The day I got it it froze again. Tried to use it yesterday (next day) and it froze again.

So, they freeze. they lock up and do not turn off. They stay on a permanent screen or startup mode. They die. They work great when they do work. I has to be the design and not me!

Each time I loose one I loose my stored data.

Now, about Vantagepoint. That was my only way of saving info, maps, important material. 3 units ago that quit working too. I have become very familiar with Magellans phone center. Apparantly the vp was upgraded. Because my computer is older and only has 64 mb ram, I can't run the new "recommended" program that requires 128 ram. They said they don't have the old version anymore.

Now when my units freeze, I loose everything as I have no place to store it.

Magallan has given me the option of getting an explorist 510. (before I took the unit out yesterday for another test). I said I wanted to do some research on it, not knowing anything and not wanting to go from bad to worse. It seems the explorist also freezes. What is it with this freezing? I have had many outings and vacations ruined by having a unit that quit either right before a trip (like this week) or on my trip. We all know how long it takes to plan for a geocaching outing and the time lost when we head out and have nothing...

So now my delema is do I go for the Ex510?

Will they ever fix the freezing issue?

Can I ever use VP again?