Colorado software version 3.52 Beta

allory

http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4667

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.52:

* Added support for chirp™ detection. This software update will allow Colorado units to detect previously-programmed chirp™ units. See http://www.garmin.com/chirp for details on which units are chirp™ compatible. NOTE: Due to the hardware present in Colorado devices, chirp™ detection range may be less than that of other compatible devices.

* Updated magnetic Earth field data.

* Fixed issue with certain JPEGs not drawing from Custom Maps.

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User Grid distances.

* Problems with the software may be reported to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com

* Added support for chirp™ detection. This software update will allow Colorado units to detect previously-programmed chirp™ units. See http://www.garmin.com/chirp for details on which units are chirp™ compatible. NOTE: Due to the hardware present in Colorado devices, chirp™ detection range may be less than that of other compatible devices.

I'm sure this will make many Colorado owners happy!

I'm sure this will make many Colorado owners happy!

That's is probably one of the smartest things Garmin could have done. I could see many owners going to a different company because of the lack of support.

I've downloaded the beta for installation at a later date. Out of interest I used the webupdater and discovered that there are two chipset updates available,one is Chipset type M and the other Chipset type M Hotfix data. Anyone know why there would be two and if they somehow tie in with this new beta?

I've downloaded the beta for installation at a later date. Out of interest I used the webupdater and discovered that there are two chipset updates available,one is Chipset type M and the other Chipset type M Hotfix data. Anyone know why there would be two and if they somehow tie in with this new beta?

I just connected up and was offered no GPS Chipset updates for my Colorado 400t. Suspect that's an earlier fix that you missed earlier?

I just connected up and was offered no GPS Chipset updates for my Colorado 400t. Suspect that's an earlier fix that you missed earlier?

Spoke too soon! There it is. My bad :blink:

Well after repeated outdoors testing, here are my results.

Oregon 450 detects chirp reliably up to 16 meters, will receive it up to as far as 18 meters but often reports "Transfer Failed" beyond 16m.

Colorado 300 detects chirp reliably up to 11 meters but will receive as far as 13 meters. Does not report a failure, but the data is often corrupt beyond 11m.

Well after repeated outdoors testing, here are my results.

Oregon 450 detects chirp reliably up to 16 meters, will receive it up to as far as 18 meters but often reports "Transfer Failed" beyond 16m.

Colorado 300 detects chirp reliably up to 11 meters but will receive as far as 13 meters. Does not report a failure, but the data is often corrupt beyond 11m.

Thanks for testing that out so quickly! A difference of 4m is quite a bit,having said that it's an appreciated feature. The corrupted data error should hopefully get corrected in a future software release.

I have just ran webupdater 4 times, and I get no offering of a Chipset update, just the 3 text updates that I always decline for Greek, Slovakian and Slovenian.

What version does it show for you, I am currently at GPS software version 2.90, although in the past I do recall someone else mentioning a similar update and it took me many tries with webupdater for it to show up.

I have just ran webupdater 4 times, and I get no offering of a Chipset update, just the 3 text updates that I always decline for Greek, Slovakian and Slovenian.

What version does it show for you, I am currently at GPS software version 2.90, although in the past I do recall someone else mentioning a similar update and it took me many tries with webupdater for it to show up.

I tossed a screenshot of the update screen and (lack of notes) on the TAG site.

My GPS still says 2.90 after the update (it was 2.90 before) so I'm really scratching my head as to what, exactly it did.

I updated and didnt get the Chipset message. Also ran a few ( 7) field tests with my test CHIRP with my 400t and Oregon 550. After multiple attempts, I didn't get any scrambled receive messages and it was picking up the signal as well as the Oregon. But it was just an informal test with a CHIRP mounted high on a lightpole.

Thanks to allory for giving a site of Colorado software. I have used this software but I want get a beta version of it. I have bought a new GPS so that I want to install a new beta version of it. i think you are interested person on GPS and it's software.

Edited by cherylfoster

I just purchased a used but in great condition colorado 300 with Topo map included. (I was told that makes it a 400T but not sure) I updated the software to 3.52 and it added the "Start chirp searching" in the Geochaching mode.

Went out and purchased a "chirp" from REI and cannot program the chirp. The option to program the chirp is not included with the update.

Also, when i searched for my new chirp it would only find it when I was a foot and a half away. I'm hoping that the battery for the chirp is bad and I will try it again when I get a fresh battery for it.

I just purchased a used but in great condition colorado 300 with Topo map included. (I was told that makes it a 400T but not sure) I updated the software to 3.52 and it added the "Start chirp searching" in the Geochaching mode.

Went out and purchased a "chirp" from REI and cannot program the chirp. The option to program the chirp is not included with the update.

Also, when i searched for my new chirp it would only find it when I was a foot and a half away. I'm hoping that the battery for the chirp is bad and I will try it again when I get a fresh battery for it.

Since the latest software update for the Garmin is in it's first beta release,you'll have to wait and see if it will eventually include the ability to program the chirp once the final release is available,ie,3.6. In respect to the range issue you have,I don't know what to say,other than what you suspect may be correct as it's difficult to imagine it being a hardware issue within the Colorado.

Since the latest software update for the Garmin is in it's first beta release,you'll have to wait and see if it will eventually include the ability to program the chirp once the final release is available,ie,3.6. In respect to the range issue you have,I don't know what to say,other than what you suspect may be correct as it's difficult to imagine it being a hardware issue within the Colorado.

I thought I read a response from Garmin that said, with software updates the Colorado will be able to find and read the CHiRPs, but never program them as it is not supported by the Colorado's Hardware capabilities...

So a software Update will do no good in relation to that....

Hopefully, I'm wrong as it would be a cool feature to add...

Edited by solo63137

I thought I read a response from Garmin that said, with software updates the Colorado will be able to find and read the CHiRPs, but never program them as it is not supported by the Colorado's Hardware capabilities...

So a software Update will do no good in relation to that....

Hopefully, I'm wrong as it would be a cool feature to add...

http://www8.garmin.c...ils.jsp?id=4667

Changes made from version 3.50 to 3.52:

* Updated magnetic Earth field data.

* Fixed issue with certain JPEGs not drawing from Custom Maps.

* Fixed issue with Oblique Mercator User Grid distances.

* Problems with the software may be reported to ColoradoBeta@garmin.com

I would say that first line(bolded and in red) from the first post would imply that the Colorado is incapable of programming a chirp.

In regards to the Colorado's hardware limitations in respect to the chirp,the only statement from Garmin that I've read was they did indicate the range may be less than other compatible units.

OK, well, I don't usually say this, but I'll be happier if I'm wrong... :)

Long live the Colorado!!!

I would say that first line(bolded and in red) from the first post would imply that the Colorado is incapable of programming a chirp.

I don't see why a reduced range warning is equal to an inability to program a chirp. Inability to program the chirp would be limited by, say, lack of a transmit function or not enough application memory on the Colorado. All the above says is you need to get closer to use the chirp function.

Now as to whether or not Garmin chooses to add programming ability to Colorado I am inclined to see that as more a sales/marketing issue than a technical issue based on what I've seen so far.

I don't see why a reduced range warning is equal to an inability to program a chirp. Inability to program the chirp would be limited by, say, lack of a transmit function or not enough application memory on the Colorado. All the above says is you need to get closer to use the chirp function.

Now as to whether or not Garmin chooses to add programming ability to Colorado I am inclined to see that as more a sales/marketing issue than a technical issue based on what I've seen so far.

Ok is this highlight better? I don't see Garmin going any farther that this beta. I'm surprised that they went this far considering they discontinued this awhile ago. For everyone's sake, I hope it is possible for a Colorado to program a chirp, but reality is it probably isn't possible and Garmin won't spend any more time on it.

Ok is this highlight better? I don't see Garmin going any farther that this beta. I'm surprised that they went this far considering they discontinued this awhile ago. For everyone's sake, I hope it is possible for a Colorado to program a chirp, but reality is it probably isn't possible and Garmin won't spend any more time on it.

That's more accurate. It's Garmin won't do it instead of Garmin can't do it. Subtle difference but switches the reason from a technical to a organizational decision. Remember it wasn't that long ago that the Colorado couldn't do chirp at all.