Red Square Moscow Russia Geocoin

Hoblik

We have spent some two years working in Russia, have family roots there, placed a geocache on the Red Square in Moscow - which seems to be the most visited geocache in the country. This all lead us to making a coin, which we believe is - to a certain extent - the first Russian geocoin.

Text on the coin is Moscow Russia - Red Square in Russian. Buildings depicted are Spasskaya Bashnya (Tower) of Kremlin and Saint Basil's Cathedral. Both dominant features of the Red Square, and also very close to our geocache. Tracking code prefix "HO" reads in cyrillic as "number", which we think is a nice little detail.

Today we have received first samples, which we would like to share. It is stamped brass coin, 45 mm in diameter, hard enamel + glittering red in the star. As a special feature there are 12 stars stamped around the rim of the coin. Each coin will be packed in the velvet pouch with "Red Square" printed in Russian. (Tried to do my best with photographs, but it is more tricky than I have expected.)

Hope you like it, feedback is welcome before we go for final production.

RS%20coin%20copy.jpg

DSC_1655%20copy%20copy.jpg

DSC_1661%20copy%20copy.jpg

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Now there is a coin I am definitely signing up for.

A great place to visit, Moscow has a vast amount of history to see.

It has been a while since my last visit - 21 years, but it sure was a trip I will always remember. We stopped in Moscow on our way to Listvyanka at the southern end of Lake Baikal in Siberia.

I love it! Of course price has a lot to do with deciding to purchase or not but if reasonable I'd be interested in a couple. :D:rolleyes:

BTW... the pics are great and I really like the shallow depth of field in the second photo (side view).

Edited by Droo
If I uderstand the system correctly, you had to buy 1000 of these tracking numbers in order to get the custom prefix.
that requirement has been lowered to 250

Can you show me where this is stated?

Quote from pinned tread:

Custom Code Series:

1. Following the first order of 1,000 codes for a custom prefix series, future orders for the same custom prefix with a new icon only require a 100 code minimum.

A very nice coin!

I'm in too, as long as the price is decent

I'm curious. Do you plan on making 1000 of these coins, or do you plan on making other coins with the same prefix? If I uderstand the system correctly, you had to buy 1000 of these tracking numbers in order to get the custom prefix.

We have other projects on the drawing board, and the same prefix will be used.

Here are few notes on the distribution and price.

You will receive the first Russian geocoin, specially packed:

- Stamped brass coin, 45 mm in diameter, hard enamel + glittering red in the star

- As a unique feature there are 12 stars stamped around the rim of the coin

- and the red velvet pouch with "Red Square" printed in Russian.

Will be available in two variants – gold and antique silver.

Price will be lower than the original quote, available in a few days.

Edited by Eartha
Post edited at OP's request.

Ordered mine today--as a young girl, I was fascinated with Russian history & dreamed of going there. That was during the cold war, so very few Americans did this! One tourist brought a slide show to my town's Civic Center & that was my first chance to hear/see an eyewitness account of the country's war memorials, glittering museum objects & grand public buildings. This coin will be special to me because I developed love & admiration for the Russian people, despite the horrible warnings of nuclear holocaust & such that I grew up with.

Received mine today and it has catapulted to the top of my favorites list. Absolutely beautiful coin with some personal meaning to boot! Thanks for the foresight to create such a gem.

Thank you, great to hear this.

On top of this, geocache on the Red Square is back in operation thanks to hügelwühler - friends from Austria! Hope it will survive security controls performed for May holidays celebrations ;-)