Mystery Cache question

Jagski

Just a quick question - suppose I'm going to place a cache and I have the area picked out. I hide it and it gets published. What if there's a mystery cache (that I haven't done, so I don't know the coordinates) that is almost next to my hide? Does the reviewer know this? What happens in these cases when we are not aware of this? Do we just move it if someone should let us know?

Ok, that was more than a quick question, sorry :huh:

Just a quick question - suppose I'm going to place a cache and I have the area picked out. I hide it and it gets published. What if there's a mystery cache (that I haven't done, so I don't know the coordinates) that is almost next to my hide? Does the reviewer know this? What happens in these cases when we are not aware of this? Do we just move it if someone should let us know?

yes the reviewer knows this. The cache won't be published. He/She will let us know so we can move it.

The reviewer should know, and won't publish it if it's too close to a mystery final, or to any intermediate steps on a multi-cache. He she will tell you that it's too close to something else. I submitted a cache for review without having the puzzle completely worked out to save myself the trouble of changing it if the location wasn't right. You can add a note to the reviewer to that effect ... that you're checking the location out, and he/she will let you know (at least mine did ... it was too close, and I had to move it). I think the only exception to this would be some really, really old puzzles or multis that didn't have to give their other coordinates to be published, and in that case I'd think the reviewer would publish it for you and it would be OK. I'm sure if someone else knows differently, you'll hear. Enjoy your mystery cache!

If there is a hidden final to a mystery cache (or stage of a multi-cache, etc.) within 528 feet of your new cache, the reviewer almost always* knows this and your new cache wouldn't get published in the first place.

The best course of action would be to start a cache page before you've done all of the work on the cache and enter the coordinates you'd like to use. Check the box that indicates the cache is active (even though it's not) and in the "Note to Reviewer" section tell your reviewer that you have that spot scouted out and that you're ready to place a cache there, pending the green light that you won't be running up against any proximity guideline issues. If you get the OK from the reviewer, you're free to work on the container and the cache page as you normally would and you can submit the cache page "for real" when you're ready.

You don't *have* to follow those steps, but they'll reduce the chances that you'll put a lot of work into something for naught.

* Some of the older unknown and multi listings don't have their waypoints in the system, and so proximity issues sometimes slip through the cracks