Logging travel whilst in your posession ?

The Stirleys

Simple question - how do I record a bugs mileage whilst I still have it ? picked one up last week and won't be releasing it for a few weeks until the kids are with me .. but it's still travelling with me, to and from local caches as well as generally in my car. I guess the latter may not count, but is it normal to log a bug in and out of a cache instantaneously to keep their mileage correct ?

Ask the bug's owner if s/he thinks it's okay to log the bug in and out of caches you visit while it's in your possession. Some people like that, others don't. If you're taking the bug significant distances, or to interesting places, I can see doing it. Otherwise, I'd (personally, for my bug) prefer to see it dropped off in one of those caches. OTOH, it's more fun and interesting to have the bug's travels with you recorded, than it would be to have you simply hold it for weeks before releasing it. I saw someone take a bug halfway across the world, log it into a cache there, and then return it to somewhere not too far from its starting point. I'd be fine with that, because if someone dropped my bug OFF in an exotic locale, I'd be concerned about how frequently the cache it's in would be visited; a lot of old vacation caches are never visited, or get plundered in the many months between visitors.

There's really nothing you can do to record its ordinary travels in the car, or at your house, though. You could, of course, take pictures of it in those situations and post them to the bug's page, which would also be fun.

quote:
Originally posted by The Stirleys:

Simple question - how do I record a bugs mileage whilst I still have it ? picked one up last week and won't be releasing it for a few weeks until the kids are with me .. but it's still travelling with me, to and from local caches as well as generally in my car. I guess the latter may not count, but is it normal to log a bug in and out of a cache instantaneously to keep their mileage correct ?

One of my bugs has been in the possesion of my friend since last March. He's been trying to find the right cache for it ever since.

I'm not minding the mileage because he's been keeping me appraised of it all along and it lets me see where he's been caching since last March too.

It's not surprising that the owner was agreeable to your suggestion. Getting those mileage helps give it some history as well.

5307_1000.gif

Webfoot

Veni...Vidi...Vicachi.

I came...I saw...I geocached.