Kindle for Caching?

Hiya

Toying with the idea of buying a Kindle as could do with a read while travelling. I understand that it has a browser built in and with the possibility of buying a 3G version (no additional costs ongoing for connection) Is anyone using one for caching. Obviously it doesnt have built in GPS but could be used for web access/logging etc. I did a search on the forums but nothing mentioned in UK and all other pots relate to the older version. I understand it is now version 3.

The 3G version is about 50 quid dearer than the basic one so want to try justifying the extra cost of this model as the standard one comes with wi-fi.

Toying with the idea of buying a Kindle as could do with a read while travelling. I understand that it has a browser built in and with the possibility of buying a 3G version (no additional costs ongoing for connection) Is anyone using one for caching.

The browser in a Kindle goes straight to the Amazon store. I haven't been able to find an option to connect to Google unless Amazon have come up with something new in their latest Kindles.

However, if you're toying with the idea of buying a Kindle for the reading while travelling thing, I'd heartily recommend it.

My Kindle kept me sane on a 26 hour trip to Australia (and the same time span back) last year. I loved being able to choose which of the 52 books I wanted to read without having the hassle of added weight. And it was a great ice breaker, too, as not many people have actually seen a Kindle in the flesh, as it were.

Hi, sounds good. This looks like a way round the browser. have you tried this??

http://kinstant.com/about.htm#

This also looks encouraging...http://ereader1.blogspot.com/2010/09/kindle-for-reading-and-geocaching.html

and ... http://turecek.me/?p=41

and...http://www.cacheopedia.com/wiki/Mobipocket

GSAK macro to MOBI format... http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtopic=6132&st=0&

Edited by ForsdykeFinders

Hiya

Toying with the idea of buying a Kindle as could do with a read while travelling. I understand that it has a browser built in and with the possibility of buying a 3G version (no additional costs ongoing for connection) Is anyone using one for caching. Obviously it doesnt have built in GPS but could be used for web access/logging etc. I did a search on the forums but nothing mentioned in UK and all other pots relate to the older version. I understand it is now version 3.

The 3G version is about 50 quid dearer than the basic one so want to try justifying the extra cost of this model as the standard one comes with wi-fi.

I have a Kindle 3G and can confirm that it has a browser that is accessed by pressing "Home" then "Menu" then selecting "Experimental" and then "Web Browser". It does appear to work with the GC web site. Whether I would take it caching is another matter and, if I did, would certainly use a jacket to protect it. As for it being a reading device - excellent!

Hope that helps.

We've got non-3G Kindles (his 'n hers) and I've often used the browser to access BBC and other news type sites via our and others LANs. It comes a poor option of last resort after laptop, netbook, I-Pod Touch or our smartphones (which can also act as a hub for the former items if a LAN is not available). The Kindle browser, nice as a freebie if nothing else is available, is not a very good interface for the internet - plenty of work required before I would pick it!

The native resolution of the Kindle does not match the webpage usually, you get a window on the poorly formatted webpage which, when selected, will bring the selected "window" up to the native resolution where it is correctly formatted and readable - but you can only view that portion of the screen.

So, with the 3G version, you should be able to do the remote logging thing albeit in a tedious and painfully slow manner (typing in just webpage URLs, passwords and the like is dire on the Kindle).

We prefer to use a dictaphone to swiftly record our sometimes lengthy comments as we cache (Olympus thingy - about £20 from Lidl every now and again). We then log everything at our leisure when back on a proper internet connection.

Took my Kindle to Italy this Xmas. 3G all the way from UK, through France, Germany, Switzerland by Coach. Acessed Geocaching on the move. Fiddley to use but perfectly capable for using to check out Geocaches in a local vicinity. I have a Garmin 450t so had already done my Pocket Queries and loaded them into the GPS as I knew where we were stopping. Downloaded about 50 caches but in the event only managed to do two in Venice and one at Lake Garda. Kindle was useful for translating Italian Geocache clues into English via Google translater. Did not try to log caches on Kindle. Unfortunatly do not rely on accessing 3G on Kindle on the Isle of Man as Manx telecoms seem to have fixed it not to! Plenty of free WiFi though. Oh. I also managed to read a book too on the trip via Kindle. The Kindle is basically an e-reader.I have 80 books to read on it and they all fit in my Handbag! Amazon do say the web access is Experimental, and free (at the moment) so do not expect too much. Good value at £149.

If you need colour or better access use a Phone with Internet/GPS or get an Ipad (both will cost you lots to access)

Edited by Cushag

I have a kindle and can confirm that you can do whatever you want on its web browser. I had never thought of using it for caching!

It does take a long while to load most pages, and the UI is not exactly great for browsing. There is no technical reason why this could not be done though.