Geocan

Avernar

This is a true story. The names have not been changed because they are already aliases.

On November 24th, 2010 an innocent looking Traditional cache called Canny Ster was published in Mississauga, Ontario. The owner of the cache is julian106 who joined the site just 3 days earlier and has 0 finds. The posted coordinates were in the middle of Bell Harbour Drive. It soon became apparent that there was no cache there. Many geocachers searched the nearby Castlebridge Common Park but the no sign of the cache was found. On December 17th, 2010 the cache listing was retracted to let the CO fix the coordinates.

On December 28th, 2010 another Traditional cache called Geocan was published in the same vicinity. The owner this time is sean106 who joined the site 6 days earlier and also had 0 finds. The posted coordinates are at the west end of Castlebridge Common Park. The usual, some may say aberrant, First To Find activity was not noticed this time. A few geocachers did go out the next day to investigate. Again, no trace of a cache was found.

On January 1st, 2011 the CO posted a note saying the cache was stolen by a muggle and that it will be replaced the next day. On the 2nd a new geocacher called curlywonder supposedly found the cache. This cacher joined that very day and has no other finds. No other geocacher has yet attempted a find for fear of the mysterious forces at work in the area.

Also strange is that the CO of Geocan now has one and only one find on GC1H824. It is back dated to November 7, 2010. The log book of that cache had recent water damage so a forensic investigation may not be possible.

Newbie mistakes or Conspiracy? You decide! :unsure:

why does the story sound so familiar?

enjoy the read on this one :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e76380df-b25d-4b56-9ca1-1c2182218f2a

this is just some random example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59c691a3-2780-4ee3-9671-e1b836999030

perhaps because i've seen it a zillion times this year...i think its time GC seriously gives some consideration to a solution to this "epidemic"

Edited by t4e

why does the story sound so familiar?

enjoy the read on this one :laughing:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=e76380df-b25d-4b56-9ca1-1c2182218f2a

this is just some random example

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=59c691a3-2780-4ee3-9671-e1b836999030

perhaps because i've seen it a zillion times this year...i think its time GC seriously gives some consideration to a solution to this "epidemic"

Personally I'd like to see a minimal amount of cache finds (perhaps 25) but there's quite a lot of protest against that idea in the forums.

Instead I think a moratorium of 3 months (perhaps 2 months) after registration could be introduced. If someone can't wait 3 months to hide their first cache I don't think it bodes well that that person is going to be a committed CO.

It would hopefully weed out those cachers who plant a cache just for a lark, or to mess with people, or the highschool students who get a geography assignment that includes planting and posting a cache using Google Earth (recent Acton caches), or a university student who's only in town for a few months and leaves at the end of the semester, etc.

The other idea people have put forth is a test that new COs take when they submit their first cache. I'd like to see GZ implement the test AND a moratorium AND a few finds. But I'd settle for only the test/quiz.

i agree with you, something needs to be done

those placements can end up being detrimental to the hobby, you get a lot of people visiting GZ, expanding the search and possibly attracting quite a lot of attention, more than if the cache was there, when cache is nowhere to be found

unfortunately GC doesn't seem to see it, they made all kinds of rules, in an attempt to encourage quality over quantity but this aspect of the cache ownership is being continuously ignored

Kids. Possibly as young as middle school, but maybe high schoolers. They need to keep off my lawn. <_<

The one mentioned must be retracted. Geocan is actively being found. I'm not from the area, but it looks like I've found the nearest cache (Sugar Maple Woods). Lots of room in the neighborhood for more (unfortunately). Also unfortunately, new cache placers with similar problems seem to not take advice too well, and tend to get defensive, or even combative.

Edited by Mr.Yuck

So I met the CO when I went to find the cache. He is a teenager and is willing to make adjustments. We talked a little bit about the value of experience in finding caches before placing and he seemed to be in agreement (now, lol). The other cache nearby is from his brother, so we can put the conspiracy theories to rest. No dishonesty, just ignorance. Hopefully the kid learns from this experience and moves on.

Years of experience have taught me that anyone trying for first to find should expect disappointment. You may not be the first, that cache may not be there yet, the cache may be muggled already, or the coordinates may be off. Many mistakes have been made even by experienced cachers when placing caches. Wrong doing doesn't even come to mind when I miss out on a FTF.

Years of experience have taught me that anyone trying for first to find should expect disappointment. You may not be the first, that cache may not be there yet, the cache may be muggled already, or the coordinates may be off. Many mistakes have been made even by experienced cachers when placing caches. Wrong doing doesn't even come to mind when I miss out on a FTF.

I don't think this was necessarily a case of the FTF hounds running wild. Most of the first few DNFs are from the day after publishing and even from two days later. In this case it was cachers who were glad to see a cache published within a decent proximity. The curiousity really flared up when the other cache in close proximity also had publishing difficulties with a similar user id. At times new users have tried different shenanighans(spelling?) to get caches published without repsecting the guidelines. There was even a reference to the recent "Find1000000" incident. Glad to see it all got worked out and was just a misunderstanding.