Logging your finds with a travel bug

Guest kbraband

Guest kbraband

I've been having a friendly conversation with a geocacher, and pointed out that he is logging his own caches whenver he posts a note on them, thus inflating his "finds" total. Here's his reply: "The caches were logged as we planted travel bugs at those geocache sites. You have to log a find of some kind for each and every individual travel bug you drop off in a cache. (It is the only way the system is allowing you to plant the bug, however that is supposed to be being addressed as we speak). We have planted 11 of the 12 travel bugs we own, and have transported another 3 that we picked up from other states (to help get the Groundspeak travel bug project going.)"

My question: is this guy correct or is he mistaken. Do you have to log your own cache as a "find" in order to place a travel bug in it?

Guest Artful Dodger

Nope. I placed a couple of my own Travel Bugs in my own caches and I used the Note option (Other). I still had the option of dropping off the Travel Bug.

See my entry in Camp Ringwood

[This message has been edited by Artful Dodger (edited 21 December 2001).]

Nope, he's wrong. You can indicate you dropped off a Travel Bug in a cache by logging it, but it can be a "Found It", "Other", or "Didn't Find It" (which would be rather an odd log icon_wink.gif).

The only time you should use the "Found It!" log to drop a TB is if you dropped off the TB at the same time you found a cache for the first time, then you can kill two birds with one log.

If you are just dropping off a bug at your own cache, or a cache you've been to before, the "Other" is the correct option.

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

Nope, he's wrong. You can indicate you dropped off a Travel Bug in a cache by logging it, but it can be a "Found It", "Other", or "Didn't Find It" (which would be rather an odd log icon_wink.gif).

The only time you should use the "Found It!" log to drop a TB is if you dropped off the TB at the same time you found a cache for the first time, then you can kill two birds with one log.

If you are just dropping off a bug at your own cache, or a cache you've been to before, the "Other" is the correct option.

------------------

Team CacheCows of Wisconsin

a, Arial">quote:

Originally posted by madphatboy2:

kill 2 birds with one log? isn't that a bit hasty? i mean, won't that hurt the bird more than the stone?

For this season, if the log you use to kill the birds with is a Yule Log, it won't hurt the log at all. The birds on the other hand...

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

For this season, if the log you use to kill the birds with is a Yule Log, it won't hurt the log at all. The birds on the other hand...

...ah, but only if it's a free-range Yule log! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by arffer:

...ah, but only if it's a free-range Yule log! icon_biggrin.gif

Guest jbmccarthy69

And here is a twist...

After you log a cache to drop off a travel bug, you can delete the log and the travel bug stays listed in the cache.

I placed 4 travel bugs in one of my own caches that way. I left one log to indicate that all 4 travel bugs had been left.

miatablk.gif

Guest Hawk-eye

quote:
Originally posted by jbmccarthy69:

And here is a twist...

After you log a cache to drop off a travel bug, you can delete the log and the travel bug stays listed in the cache.

miatablk.gif

Just a question ... when you deleted the note ... did that delete the bug page log note?

Guest LarsThorwald

Okay, now I'm totally confused. I just placed a cache this morning, and I've got the cache page waiting in temporary limbo or whatever it is for review. How do I indicate that I placed a travel bug that we picked up last week in someone else's cache?

Sorry if I seem dense...

Guest Moun10Bike

quote:
Originally posted by LarsThorwald:

How do I indicate that I placed a travel bug that we picked up last week in someone else's cache?

Log your cache just as you would any other cache and specify in the log form dropdown that you placed the Travel Bug in it (the system must already know that the Travel Bug is in your possession for it to appear in the dropdown). Then, you can delete the log -- the Travel Bug will remain in the cache.

------------------

Jon (Moun10Bike)

N 47° 36.649', W 122° 3.616'

www.switchbacks.com/geocaching.html