So, whattaya think?

Shop99er

Maybe it's just me....

Before you log a Needs Archived on a cache, shouldn't you go look for the thing first? And maybe log a DNF?

And, not ask the owner to ensure it's there for you before you go look?

And not ask for the NA just because the owner hasn't answered you?

Like I said, maybe it just me....

I see quite a few Needs Archived logs these days and yes many of them don't have any indication that the person posting the log has searched for that cache recently. Granted most of the logs I see are on caches that have not been found in quite some time and have a long list of DNF's. I do see some however that should have been either a DNF or a needs maintenance log.

When organizing cache machine events, I frequently stumble across caches that need to be archived or fixed. I'll toss on a "needs to be archived" log if I think it needs to be archived. Case in point: Bikini Bottom. The log history:

•  
  • 11/20/09: Owner posts a maintenance log: "This is way overdue for maintenance... I'll be refilling it after Christmas."
  • 01/06/10: Found log: "contents in bucket were wet... cache was about 80 ft from where it was supposed to be (my GPS acurate to 3ft)."
  • 02/20/10: Needs maintenance log: "it was pretty much out in the open, not hidden at all. Water and dirt has gotten inside the bucket and the toys are all soaked and dirty."
  • 03/08/10: This is the last day the cache owner logged in to Geocaching.com
  • 05/08/10: "Found it scratered all over, repacked in plastic bag and replaced it on cords, looks like ahigh muggle area"
  • 05/08/10: "a bunch of dolls, toys scattered in bushes, and a bag with a logbook. container is gone"
  • 07/04/10: "All contents were in a plastic zip lock bag. Not very weather proof. Nice place, but may need to find a better hiding spot."
  • 08/29/10: DNF log
  • 09/04/10: DNF log
  • 09/28/10: DNF log
  • 12/06/10: I post a "should be archived" log eithout having visited the cache location.
  • 12/16/10: Volunteer reviewer temporarily disables the cache and gives owner a month to repair.

Similarly, last month I tossed a "should be archived" log onto Tiger's Mission, which had a last find on 08/30/09 and was disabled by the owner on 04/20/10. Turns out that the owner thought she'd already archived it, and did so the day after my post.

So no, I don't think that in all circumstances someone would need to DNF a cache before noting that it should be archived.

(great examples snipped)

So no, I don't think that in all circumstances someone would need to DNF a cache before noting that it should be archived.

+1

+1

I find a some when doing CAR's for traveling. With these I drop a line to the publishing reviewer. In all cases the emails have resulted in archived caches. Some times I even get thank yous from the reviewers.

Maybe it's just me....

Before you log a Needs Archived on a cache, shouldn't you go look for the thing first? And maybe log a DNF?

And, not ask the owner to ensure it's there for you before you go look?

And not ask for the NA just because the owner hasn't answered you?

Like I said, maybe it just me....

I think I would agree with you for Needs Archived.. particularly if the cache has been successfully found recently..

I've never actually logged an NA, but Needs Maintenance, that's another story, but I think both are useful when a cache owner is not responding to a cache that is getting a ton of DNF's or notes and questions, and it can make for a frustrating experience for the cacher who makes an effort to find a cache, only to realize it's had a half dozen recent DNF's logged.. as I think we've all experienced

Edited by happy deac0n

I think it's annoying sweeping through and putting 'needs archive' on things --- much prefer contacting the owner first.

I post need's archiving on past due events, it's annoying having to figure out what's happening and what's happened... In one instance I almost went to an event that had happened a year prior but hadn't been archived!

:( The problem we are seeing is the new breed of Cachers, not the Discovers of Old.

Those that are too... shall we say too lazy to venture out and get a DNF. They must have a find before going out.

These sorts would rather question... is the Cache there?

So sad that many have to wander out, validate that their Cache is there, then these Questioners will venture out.

I know I've ventured out and GOT 5 DNF's on a Cache only to be awarded a find after those many looks. I feel good about those DNF's, a sort of Badge of Courage.

Maybe you have noticed the Newbs with their Many finds and some of us of old who have far less but we look at Quality not Quantity.

So as each of us must review our own personal standards of Smilies or DNF... Grin knowing that you went forth into the Elements and earned your Smilie or DNF.

Find your inner Peace as it is only a Game and you can only play by your own individual means........

:P I shall step down from this Soap box and turn it over to you.......