power trail

Discombob

This goes against my personal reasons for caching - but I would not hold it against others.

I have done one or two days where a group of us have done a few (20-30) caches together as part of an event or fun day out in a new area.

This included stopping for photos, lunch coffee etc.

But then again - I will not hold this against other from doing power trails - and I may even be inclined to find a few of the caches along a trail if they fit with my caching plans.

A little further up and to the west there is an Alien Head cache trail.

I wouldn't mind doing that power trail.

From reading a few logs, it seems its a 10 km hike, to do all of them in the "Alien Head" series.

But the one along the road... Naah ... wouldn't do that. I would get tired of stopping every 160 meters, and then it is just about the numbers, if one does it.

The question arises:

Is this what we want in SA?

My personal answer is a definite NO. I would like to strongly discourage such a thing in SA as it is just a numbers thing. I would like to SA to stay away from competitiveness an focus placing our caches in places that have value or that give some sort of experience, more than driving down a road and stopping every 170m. I would like to see SA cachers battling for the most favorite points they can get, striving for the most interesting and highest "quality" caches they can. I hope to see new caches banishing the chance of anyone daring to log just "TFTC".

Having said all that, power trails cant be stopped. (Would there be any way to lobby our Reviewer to prevent them?)

One is sure to pop up soon. I will have a long ignore list if one crops up near me. Anyone else that would boycott a power trail in SA?

What Monkey see, monkey do...

If the old hands keep on placing creative caches...

Do effort with their listings...

Take cachers to interesting places...

Create a bit of a challenge...

... Then the Newbies "should" follow suit...

In theory they will take their cue from what they've seen thus far, before placing their first cache...

But, sooner or later a Power Trail Maverick will show up...

In stead of a blanket boycott the old hands could maybe do one or two and write a "negative" log...

Newbies pick up the names of the established cachers very early on, and can't help but to read their logs...

A guy with 5 finds thinks that someone with a 1000 finds is Uber-cool, and takes note of his logs..

Maybe the power trail would die a sudden death, if one injects just a little bit of malice via the logs...

I really hope South Africa doesn't go the Power Trail way...

It must be boring to the n-th degree doing it...

true true, I am not a big fan of that type of 1000 cache tedious power trail, and don't want to see that sort of thing cluttering up sa!

However, that said, I have done some smaller series in the UK which I loved.

One was about 90 caches long, all along a river and canal circular loop, which I did walking over 3 days over a few months.

Most of the hides were ingenious, with some customed designed containers, and I was well impressed with the hiders ingenuity.

Another one was a cycle along a canal, 55 finds in one day, caches about 500m apart. This series I loved too, a really super day out!

And another one was also about 50 caches along a walking route in the country, which I split up over 2-3 different days. This provided such a different range of scenery, and has been one of my favourite country walks in the UK.

Now, if these series did not exist, and just had a couple of random caches around, most likely I would not have taken the trouble to go all that way for a few random caches, as its very hard to navigate to random caches in the uk, and find parking.

Now, not one of these caches has made it to my favourites list, but together as a series, they are right up there with my favourites, and all made for wonderful fun caching days.

However, in CT, with handy mountains, beaches and other great scenery, and more direct and obvious walks/hikes, one cache at the end of a hike is great, and its not needed for such series. In the UK, where country walks are so confusing, with so many different routes, series are a brilliant way to take you on a particular hike, which could not really be accomplished with just a few caches, or even a multi for that matter.

So I guess it all boils down to where you live as to whhat types of caches work best!

true true, I am not a big fan of that type of 1000 cache tedious power trail, and don't want to see that sort of thing cluttering up sa!

One was about 90 caches long, all along a river and canal circular loop, which I did walking over 3 days over a few months.

Most of the hides were ingenious, with some customed designed containers, and I was well impressed with the hiders ingenuity.

Another one was a cycle along a canal, 55 finds in one day, caches about 500m apart. This series I loved too, a really super day out!

And another one was also about 50 caches along a walking route in the country, which I split up over 2-3 different days. This provided such a different range of scenery, and has been one of my favourite country walks in the UK.

Now, if these series did not exist, and just had a couple of random caches around, most likely I would not have taken the trouble to go all that way for a few random caches, as its very hard to navigate to random caches in the uk, and find parking.

Now, not one of these caches has made it to my favourites list, but together as a series, they are right up there with my favourites, and all made for wonderful fun caching days.

However, in CT, with handy mountains, beaches and other great scenery, and more direct and obvious walks/hikes, one cache at the end of a hike is great, and its not needed for such series. In the UK, where country walks are so confusing, with so many different routes, series are a brilliant way to take you on a particular hike, which could not really be accomplished with just a few caches, or even a multi for that matter.

So I guess it all boils down to where you live as to whhat types of caches work best!

Wouldn't a multicache have worked instead of a series? It all just seems like clocking up smilies to me.

I guess the bottom line is what works for you and where you live?

I am sure that i would not do a power trail with caches every 170m along the N3 from Joburg to Durban - but the trail that DCB mentions - may well be of interest if I lived there.

I'm sure there are MANY cachers in that area that have NOT done the series. Similarly with Earthcaches - there is a lot of debate about these on the forums and many cachers despise them and would like to see them excluded from Geocaching. Me on the other hand! :D

A trail (or powertrail) for smilies - definitely not my cup of tea - a trail with a number of caches along the way with cool containers and hides while doing a hike - sounds a lot more fun.

That said - I have just returned from the equivalent of an Arabian power trail - 2000km for 10 odd caches ;)

A question? What is the difference between this powertrail and driving from Pretoria to Bloem doing 120 caches in a weekend? Aren't it also just chasing down a powertrail of a different kind? Most South African's that I know is very competitive in nature and therefor having one more smiley face on a map pleases the mind, so powertrail's are most probably comming and I think that some cachers would only do these[:D].

A question? What is the difference between this powertrail and driving from Pretoria to Bloem doing 120 caches in a weekend? Aren't it also just chasing down a powertrail of a different kind? Most South African's that I know is very competitive in nature and therefor having one more smiley face on a map pleases the mind, so powertrail's are most probably comming and I think that some cachers would only do these[:D].

I believe driving to Bloem - or Cullinan for a weekend - the caches are not along the same road evenly spaced every 170 odd metres.

My understanding of some of the US power trails is that for a few 100 km's across a desert (take that as a Karoo district road) - there is the equivalenet of a 35mm film canister with a logbook only under evey secong telephone pole.

Not individual themes, no hide ingenuity, no pretty parks, awesome views are an accident rather than a design. That is how I understand a powertrail to be. Driving from your home area where you may have done most of the caches - to another part of SA to do as many caches in a weekend - seems to have far more point than merely driving along the dirt road from Kimberley to Koffiefontein and collecting 250 finds along the way.

Wouldn't a multicache have worked instead of a series? It all just seems like clocking up smilies to me.

To be honest, I don't think a multi-cache would have worked well at all, in the cases I have mentioned.

Come over to the UK and I'll take you on one, and lets see what you think afterwards :lol:

further to my previous post, a lot of times when I head out in the uk, just searching for random caches in a certain area I have headed to, I often don't have such a great time, and many of the caches tend to be duds, thus diminishing my interest in geocaching here.

However, every single series I have done (ranging from about 10 - 50 caches, I have always enjoyed thoroughly, and not because of the numbers, but because of a very pleasant day out - I know I am going to get a very pleasant walk in with nice scenery, instead of driving around getting frustrated trying to find parking to find one silly micro.

But just to clarify my thoughts, This sort of caching suits the UK very well, but I don't see much of a need for it in SA, with a few exceptions I am sure.

further to my previous post, a lot of times when I head out in the uk, just searching for random caches in a certain area I have headed to, I often don't have such a great time, and many of the caches tend to be duds, thus diminishing my interest in geocaching here.

However, every single series I have done (ranging from about 10 - 50 caches, I have always enjoyed thoroughly, and not because of the numbers, but because of a very pleasant day out - I know I am going to get a very pleasant walk in with nice scenery, instead of driving around getting frustrated trying to find parking to find one silly micro.

But just to clarify my thoughts, This sort of caching suits the UK very well, but I don't see much of a need for it in SA, with a few exceptions I am sure.

Having also done a couple of series and a few random caches in the UK I agree completely with Discombob that the series are actually more enjoyable and tend to have more effort put into them. It makes it easier to park up and walk for a morning, finishing with a pub lunch or a secondary loop back to car afterwards.

It is also an elegant way of steering one through the myriad of bridle paths and green lanes. Generally these are on great walks through the countryside rather than an arbitrary film container stuck under a rock. Having said that, geocaching in the UK and US is definitely different to SA and I am not sure I would be able to sustain my interest given the drivel that is now out there.

I am now guilty of a couple of higher density areas myself (but to illustrate a point.) I would hate to see anything remotely resembling a power trail in the Western Cape and indeed SA given the fantastic playground that we are blessed with.

Hopefully sanity shall prevail.

I understand that geocaching means different things to different people, as athletics means different things to different people. If you are a marathon runner, does that mean the sprinters don't understand athletics, etc etc?

My take is that each player / participant / geocacher does what he love, and let the other guys do what they like, may it be walking in a park, solving puzzles, collecting badges, or chasing numbers.

I am proud :D to say that I have managed to log 390 odd caches in RSA in December 2010, but a number of guys would think :mad: "what a a**". Again, different folks for different strokes.

I have done a bit of research. The ET trail was published in Jun 2010, and has by now received more than 380 logs. Lengthy logs that is. Other caches much older, in the area, in Las Vegas and in LA, received less than 150 and normally less than 100. It seems that there is an interest in such an item on the program.

We are currently in a planning process to create a route in Gauteng (the place with probably the highest number of muggles :blink: (and mugglers :ph34r: ) per square meter)where those who want to, should be able to achieve the busy cacher diamond badge. We would need some help with this. Should you be interested, or willing to help and assist, kindly indicate so on this forum, or e mail me. ;)

Just a quick one on this... creating a Power trail in SA especially in GP is risky... first off with a load of muggles and mugglers comes another threat, muggers. Right all for the idea of looking for caches and so forth, but when there is a high risk of people been held up for their valuables... especially if there is a power trail involved it will garner some suspicion, somewhere someone may pick up on something going on and may possibly think here is an opportunity.... easy hold up as people search for caches... I still wonder what is the point in Power trails... it is to get numbers... but what is the fun in that... like you say different strokes for different folks... but really where is the point. I geocache for the pleasure of discovering something otherwise unknown... very few caches in GP offer anything other than another spot that someone thought great to put one down... Where the greatness was in some I have no idea... I think that in GP however there is really no real place to put something that leaves you with a Wow moment... it is the problem with urban area's I know I have a few in Newcastle with no real Wow factor... but then I have some in the surrounds that make a little effort worth while... A power trail basically takes away the wow factor... takes away the memory of where you had been... sort of kills the point of what this is all about. I think if ever there should be a power trail I will make it a 20 cache power trail across the Drakensberg. Just there are no amazing absolutely stunning lightposts to put a container on.... but I bet in a million years the logs will far from get a TFTC TNLNSL.... If you want a power trail... maybe do a few in the mountains... keep away from the 1.5/1.5 caches and get out there... I did a 25km round hike for a FTF, would beat a power trail anyday, even if it wasn't a FTF.... Different strokes for different folks...

Bottom line is there will always be different tastes/reasons/preferences/dislikes and these might change over time or even your circumstances or mood. No single attribute can be claimed as the "ultimate caching characteristic or experience". Some days chasing my own (modest) numbers gives me pleasure and other days a single log after a 7h hike. It's my choice and that's all I want. Irony is that I will probably think "these are boring caches" but still be tempted to do them...

The one thing that in my opinion is not negotiable is that if you want to publish 1000 caches you should effectively maintain 1000 caches! They will therefore probably only work in desolated areas.

Aforementioned 25km hike is now gonna be surpassed by an even longer one... why, because it is there.... why do a power trail.... cause it is there.... I will always remember that hike to get the cache, but number 326 on a power trail will not ring a bell.... I can almost remember virtually every one of the caches I have done, and I like it that way. Unless the power trail can offer something worthwhile.... I doubt that I will rush out to get it.... I will still do it... but find little point in it.... a lamp post is a lamp post is a lamp post... Oh wait this one is still make out of wood... whooop

... very few caches in GP offer anything other than another spot that someone thought great to put one down... Where the greatness was in some I have no idea... I think that in GP however there is really no real place to put something that leaves you with a Wow moment...

I disagree.

You don't have to cache in GP if you don't like it, we do !

Interesting debate, must be honest when I first saw the topic I thought it would be great to be able to do a power trail, yes you might not remember all the caches 5 years later (depending on the photos and logs you put together) but the experience (similar to the Bloemfontein trips) will build memories that will last a lifetime, and you will have the badge to show for it. MadSons I'm in for putting together a power trail in Gauteng.

Haa haa... I cache in GP as it is one of my destinations... but really I look at some of them and really wonder what they are about. Granted there are a few good ones but still... I have done some there that just make me wonder what they were all about. I just don't know if a power trail is appealing. Sure there is the Bloem trip... I did a spree of 40 in a day there. IT was fun and I really enjoyed it. But nearly every one of them caches were creative.... Bloem is not a powertrail Bloem is a caching experience. They may not have wonderful places to be seen, but the innovation of Oom Loutjie's caches make it a cache worth visiting. I know a lot of cachers who stay away from JHB just because of the micro's Because it is in a smelly hole in a tree... or in a parking lot... because there is a what is the point factor... each to his own.

Grrr Discombob! There you putting ideas in peoples heads! :blink:

I have to agree with Wazat. If you are all about the numbers (who ARE you guys competing with????) is not going out and finding a whole lot of individually created, researched and placed caches not more "rewarding" than doing a monotonous, forgettable, uncreative power trail? Aren't power trails for those who are all about numbers, but not up to the bother of finding caches?

Power trails are the fast food of caching for those who who can't be bothered to cook.(IMO). There is no nutrition, but they fill you up!

One of the joys of our game is that it appeals to so many different people, for so many different reasons.

Historical places, hidden little parks, earthcaches and their geology, nanos in Pick n Pay parking lots, small lunchbox at the end of a 26km hike - they are all there.

So a power trail - well go for it - am I likely to do it - probably not.

A scuba cache at the bottom of Wondergat - am I likely to do it - probably not.

An earthcache next to Witbank's industrial area - am I likely to do it - yep - been there already!

A nano at an ultra city with no view - except stretching a leg - yep - done it

So different storkes.....

So my verdict - if you will maintain them - they are safe snf meet the guideliens and are approved by a reviewer - why not.

No different to a cacher placing a nano in every shopping mall car park in Joburg - and that would be allowed.

Every area has some good caches and not so good ones. Looking even at my own caches, we find that our good caches get a few visits a year even if it is with a low terrain rating, but the “road side” ones (like our Tonteldoos cache) get lots more visits (good or bad cache). So in short it looks like if you have a roadside cache (good or bad) it will attract lots more visits. RedGlobe prefers the hikes in nature, but doing a cache (or two) between meetings (road side) keeps me sane and ready for the next ugly meeting. We will do a power trail, but only in a group for the spirit that comes with it.

Sorry Madsons but we will not help in hiding some caches in the “power trail” (for personal reasons) and we struggle just to keep up on our own cache maintenance.

Grrr Discombob! There you putting ideas in peoples heads! :blink:

I have to agree with Wazat. If you are all about the numbers (who ARE you guys competing with????) is not going out and finding a whole lot of individually created, researched and placed caches not more "rewarding" than doing a monotonous, forgettable, uncreative power trail? Aren't power trails for those who are all about numbers, but not up to the bother of finding caches?

Power trails are the fast food of caching for those who who can't be bothered to cook.(IMO). There is no nutrition, but they fill you up!

Hey I am innocent, I am sure Madsons had that plan anyway!.

Love your fastfood quote though :o)

At least you can breathe a sign of relief that its in JHB!

It took a while for nanos to get to SA - now they are everywhere - I guess a few power trails will also pop up across the country.

And I hazard a guess that some of us may even be swayed to "like them somewhat" if the situation is right - like Redglobe mentions - with a bunch of friends as part of a day out. ??? Or am i being heretical now :anitongue:

In my case, the GPS Power trail that was published over the weekend, run around my house, and between my house and that of my fiancee. That means that I have easy access to geocaches in my area to do the Daily caching thing. As I am in accounting/auditing, it isn't always possible to do an interesting cache. I tried, on Saturday, to do 3 interesting caches, and the 3rd was part of this GPS series. Found it easily, and it was motivating after my 2 DNF's on the interesting caches. I use the GPS trail as a "worst case scenario backup", and still go looking for the interesting caches first.

But, like RedGlobe said, I too will probably enjoy doing a power trail (or part thereof) with some other cachers, purely as a social opportunity. I doubt I would ever do a power trail on my own. But one here and one there being part of a power trail, I find it convenient.

If you still need some help, let me know, MadSons, I might have an interesting container or 2. But hiding places not so much...

My limited understand of Groundspeak Rules state that there must be a minimum distance between caches and waypoints ect.

Should the CO adhere to these rules and can maintain the caches, then what can we do - the only choice left is to ignore or do them.

As I'm a newbie and staying in Port Elizabeth I have found 3 challenge caches. The most interesting one I'm planning to do is Hogsback Challenge. You do 10 Caches in the area to find the co-ords for the final one. I enjoy doing these type caches, I could therefore understand if these ones become a power trail or a power trail starts in this area. Also in PE we have a historic walk having a power trail along the route could help. Will I do a power Trail possibly, it has to be in a interesting area though.

As I'm a newbie and staying in Port Elizabeth I have found 3 challenge caches. The most interesting one I'm planning to do is Hogsback Challenge. You do 10 Caches in the area to find the co-ords for the final one. I enjoy doing these type caches, I could therefore understand if these ones become a power trail or a power trail starts in this area. Also in PE we have a historic walk having a power trail along the route could help. Will I do a power Trail possibly, it has to be in a interesting area though.

The Hogsback Challenge is a very special series. You will really have to do a lot of walking and climbing to find the co-ords to the final. By the time you have got them, you really would have worked hard! Would hate to see a power trail in this area - one would not enjoy the beautiful waterfalls, views etc if you were just out to collect numbers.

We have to add that iNokia put in a lot of effort and hard work to create this challenge. There are wonderful hides and beautiful tranquil spots to sit and reflect.

It is not a rush in and grab challenge. It would take at least a day and a half to do (that is if you have quite a high level of fitness!)

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT place a power trail in this beautiful little village.

Edited by cownchicken

This should have never been allowed.

It is not geocaching, it is just getting numbers. You just have to look at the suspicious first to finds to know this is bull.....

I would like to see how these caches will be maintained. I will go on record and say that within a year 50% OF THESE CACHES WILL BE ARCHIVED

A cache should take you interesting places,show you something new, make you work to find it. It should not be a nano just plac anywhere to get some numbers.

I think Cape Doc caption at the bottom of his page sums up how a cache should be placed---

Good listing + Interesting hide + Awesome location = Great Cache

If you wouldn't make it a Favourite....why place it?

This power trail caches can have a caption something like this----- horrible listing + horrible hides + horrible location = Horrible Caches

Edited by geocacher_coza

I too am "not a fan" (to understate it in the extreme) of powertrails. I too feel they detract from the ethos of taking people to unique places of interest. I also feel the undermine the whole purpose of a multicache. If the area is a fantastic area, placing a multicache would be able to take visitors to that area.

Powertrails raise an issue for me. Let it be said, that from the beginning, I know that what I am about to ask is somewhat rhetorical:

Is there a place for some kind of referendum system, where local cachers can vote on certain issues, to allow certain local rules, that may break from the overall GC rules?

If for example, most cachers in the county did NOT want power trails,could we decide locally to disallow them?

As I said, a rhetorical question. There can never be local rules. It would be nice though to have some forum where cachers could air their feelings regarding issues like these. It would be nice if we could have a system where the reviewer had a sense of what the majority of cachers felt on issues, and then could "advise" cachers that, although legal, their cache was against the general local communities desires for geocaching. "I will publish your cache in the KFC parking lot, but perhaps consider....."

If you think the stock market crashed over the past few years, you ain't seen nothing yet....

The value of an SA geo-smiley has just hit rock bottom. :blink:

Luckily that doesn't affect my retirement planning, or the enjoyment I get from the game, so I'm not fussed about it at all.

If it floats your boat, go for it.

If it doesn't, ignore it. Whatever.... :rolleyes:

I must admit that I've been scheming how to fit these powertrails into my framework of having geo-fun (which isn't stop-start motoring), so I've already semi-planned on trying to walk the western trail in 2 days sometime in November, and maybe staying/camping over at Brookwood Trout Farm which sounds quite nice. If you're interested, send me an email and let's talk.

The Hogsback Challenge is a very special series. You will really have to do a lot of walking and climbing to find the co-ords to the final. By the time you have got them, you really would have worked hard! Would hate to see a power trail in this area - one would not enjoy the beautiful waterfalls, views etc if you were just out to collect numbers.

We have to add that iNokia put in a lot of effort and hard work to create this challenge. There are wonderful hides and beautiful tranquil spots to sit and reflect.

It is not a rush in and grab challenge. It would take at least a day and a half to do (that is if you have quite a high level of fitness!)

PLEASE, PLEASE DO NOT place a power trail in this beautiful little village.

All I was trying to say was if there was going to be a power trail rather do it on a hiking trail than do it in my neighbourhood. On a hiking trail there will be far more interesting things to see than in my neighbourhood.

I too am "not a fan" (to understate it in the extreme) of powertrails. I too feel they detract from the ethos of taking people to unique places of interest. I also feel the undermine the whole purpose of a multicache. If the area is a fantastic area, placing a multicache would be able to take visitors to that area.

Powertrails raise an issue for me. Let it be said, that from the beginning, I know that what I am about to ask is somewhat rhetorical:

Is there a place for some kind of referendum system, where local cachers can vote on certain issues, to allow certain local rules, that may break from the overall GC rules?

If for example, most cachers in the county did NOT want power trails,could we decide locally to disallow them?

As I said, a rhetorical question. There can never be local rules. It would be nice though to have some forum where cachers could air their feelings regarding issues like these. It would be nice if we could have a system where the reviewer had a sense of what the majority of cachers felt on issues, and then could "advise" cachers that, although legal, their cache was against the general local communities desires for geocaching. "I will publish your cache in the KFC parking lot, but perhaps consider....."

I'm not a big fan of multi caches and that is where I enjoy a challenge cache like the one I mentioned in Hogsback. There I must find 10 caches to get clues for the bonus cache. All 10 caches lead me to very interesting and fantastic sites within Hogsback.

As for local rules I don't think that will really work. As then whenever you move into a different area you first need to find local out what the local rules are before you can hide a cache. In PE there are some caches that has been placed by people in other provinces.

So we have to revert back to the rules as laid down by Groundspeak. A power trail whether you like it or not complies by the rules so they cannot be stopped.

Sigh...

It takes so much work to add a power trail to your ignore list....

A selection tool would be nice....ignore all caches in this area...

I think the overall "quality" of caches in the Cape Peninsula area is pretty good. Not "rock bottom" here yet. It remains to be seen how quickly they deteriorate.

I don't mind a challenge cache made up of one bonus cache for completing a serious of unique caches, think that is a cool idea. I cant imagine every 168m of a power trail being unique though. (600 micros!....my head spins!)

It is not geocaching, it is just getting numbers. You just have to look at the suspicious first to finds to know this is bull.....

There are apparently reports from people now that some caches listed as FTF are not even found. Reports of some logsheets been soaking wet and the stamp ink running a day later ??? Single tyre tracks to the cache and single set of footprints... with 12 cachers searching.... No tracklogs... It is all very suspicious... Apparently they are all stamped with a name and the date, conveniently made for the right date... Sort of makes it all seem like a big story, but who are we to believe anymore. I would love to do it from a challenge point of view maybe even by bicycle, just to see how many I could get. It seems like an impossible feat however to get 600+ unless in a team... I recon max maybe 250 - 300 on your own... I still remain quite unconvinced that it was done by everyone... A tracklog would prove otherwise. Sorry guys I know a lot of you personally, but a lot of stories are floating around and they are not good.

This really is a sad day for geocaching in South Africa - caching is meant to be about the fun, the experience, seeing something new, beautiful views and wonderful places.

Placing 650 caches is one thing - here's hoping that each and every one is a really decent, clever and challenging hide and that the maintenance of these caches is done promptly and that they do not just become geo-litter! :(

It is indeed a sad day for geocaching in SA if the purpose of an Event (GC3108Z) is to plan a second power trail just to give a chance for cachers to get a "record"(I quote): "which were not part of the Pretoria Power Trial just to even the scales a bit" and "In order to promote the badges and numbers"

I think I will also plan a power trail event in CT, all you have to do is switch your GPS on and off and every time you do this you will get a "smiley" for it! This will break records! Or is there another purpose why I do geocaching, I forgot, please can someone help me. What, I have to get out of my house, even get out of my car?

I know, I know, everyone does Geocaching for a different reason, if you want to go for numbers, fine, you have the full right to do it, even to place as many power trails as you like and to plan as many events as you like, but don't ask me to take your "milestone's" seriously or any statistics.

Edited by Kasimani

It is indeed a sad day for geocaching in SA if the purpose of an Event (GC3108Z) is to plan a second power trail just to give a chance for cachers to get a "record"(I quote): "which were not part of the Pretoria Power Trial just to even the scales a bit" and "In order to promote the badges and numbers"

+1 - a sad day indeed - let's not get caught up in this madness!

This really is a sad day for geocaching in South Africa - caching is meant to be about the fun, the experience, seeing something new, beautiful views and wonderful places.

Placing 650 caches is one thing - here's hoping that each and every one is a really decent, clever and challenging hide and that the maintenance of these caches is done promptly and that they do not just become geo-litter! :(

I fully agree with this. Yes I want to "get numbers" but I want my numbers to reflect something of beauty and challenge. How the heck will 600+ caches be maintained already there are some caches archived due to CO not able to maintain them. How is a CO going to maintain 600+. Also unfortunately I cannot see how we can stop this due to the fact that unfortunately Groundspeack allows this according to their guidelines. We can debate our likes and dislikes until the cows come home but they will continue to appear. Unless someone can come up with a concrete way to change policy and guidelines to minimise these.

There are apparently reports from people now that some caches listed as FTF are not even found. Reports of some logsheets been soaking wet and the stamp ink running a day later ??? Single tyre tracks to the cache and single set of footprints... with 12 cachers searching.... No tracklogs... It is all very suspicious... Apparently they are all stamped with a name and the date, conveniently made for the right date... Sort of makes it all seem like a big story, but who are we to believe anymore. I would love to do it from a challenge point of view maybe even by bicycle, just to see how many I could get. It seems like an impossible feat however to get 600+ unless in a team... I recon max maybe 250 - 300 on your own... I still remain quite unconvinced that it was done by everyone... A tracklog would prove otherwise. Sorry guys I know a lot of you personally, but a lot of stories are floating around and they are not good.

Wayne

To respond to your insinuation that caches were not done:

I would just like to caution you on making accusations,(copied above). Each cache was visited and found on the day.

And all the opinions of powertrails or not, it's a game! You take out what you want.

Sigh...

I think the overall "quality" of caches in the Cape Peninsula area is pretty good. Not "rock bottom" here yet. It remains to be seen how quickly they deteriorate.

I don't mind a challenge cache made up of one bonus cache for completing a serious of unique caches, think that is a cool idea. I cant imagine every 168m of a power trail being unique though. (600 micros!....my head spins!)

Your head is spinning?! It makes me feel quite sick! Nauseous actually!

tomtwogates

Posted Today, 01:00 AM

Kasimani, on 28 July 2011 - 11:35 PM, said:

+1 - a sad day indeed - let's not get caught up in this madness!

+2 - It truly is. Please Cape Tonians think twice before you think of placing a Power Trail. I don't think you'd be too popular!

Tricky Vicky & Mickey

Posted Yesterday, 10:31 PM

Placing 650 caches is one thing - here's hoping that each and every one is a really decent, clever and challenging hide and that the maintenance of these caches is done promptly and that they do not just become geo-litter!

Hopefully they won't be disabled for months and months.

Reading the posts in this forum reminded me why I do not partake in the forums, it would seem that it is a place where people complain, moan and make accusations without having any facts.

Bremar Josrut - Why do you not contact one of the cache owners and ask them about the facts and how they will maintain their caches? Do you know how many cachers took part in putting the GPS together?

Wazat - You are implying that I lie when I log caches, on a public forum. I'm dissapointed.

Perhaps, just perhaps the geocachers that speculate about the Gauteng Power Series, and those who are so opinionated about a power series, and those spreading rumours, should ask the geocachers what the background is, how is was done, why they did it, and what is the future plans.

Interesting to me is the fact that so many "true" geocachers percieve that there is only one way of caching, almost like field atheletes who believe that track atheletes are not real atheletes, let alone marathon runners. Interesting that so many "true" geocachers exclude other geocachers in terms of their method of caching.

Interesting that the community (or a very small portion) created or requested various badges, as the biggest portion are against numbers. Interesting that one of the badges is for the number of finds per day, 400 being the diamond achievement.

Oh, just before you wonder who I am:

a. I started geocaching in August 2010, thus a newbie

b. Since 24 Sep 2010 I found a cache every single day, just over 300 days in a row now.

c. I found my first 1 000 caches within six months.

d. I just returned from a trip through Namibia, finding 70 caches of various difficulty/terrain ratings, planning every day's activities around geocaching.

e. I have added more than 50 caches of various levels and types.

f. I am one of the masterminds and drivers of the GPS, involving more than 30 teams.

g. I am one of the main drivers to attemp hosting a mega event in South Africa, even visiting Cape Town to involve the whole caching community.

h. I have logged more than 140 FTF (excluding the GPS), some of them found in the middle of the night.

In all, I think I am addicted to geocaching.

Could anyone tell me how a true geocaher looks like?