Cache Idea!

Hi, I'm TheCacheSeeker. Previously, I have posted and read on the forums as zdeng15014.

I have an awesome cache idea. Attach a bison on the back of a piece of wood. Tie a string to the wood. Hoist the wood on to a high tree branch. Tie the string somewhere. When a cacher searches for it, he/she will lower the string to retrive the cache. Any feedback on my idea?

Thanks!

The tough part, based on my experiences with similar caches, is running the string so that it doesn't snag. I have done caches like that that took longer to get the cache down or back up than it took to spot the danged thing in the first place.

By the way, by "piece of wood", I assume you mean a stick, not a section of 2x4, right? (my answer is the same, either way... just curious)

That would be a bit better. Instead of green paint, however, you can buy cammo spray paint. I still would reccomend putting it far in the woods. Out there, caches can be in plain sight and not get muggled.

Edit: Sorry. I wrote my reply while knowschad wrote his.

Edited by BlueNacho

The tough part, based on my experiences with similar caches, is running the string so that it doesn't snag. I have done caches like that that took longer to get the cache down or back up than it took to spot the danged thing in the first place.

By the way, by "piece of wood", I assume you mean a stick, not a section of 2x4, right? (my answer is the same, either way... just curious)

not really either. probaly a natural-looking piece of wood big enough to almost cover the bison.

There was one near my house (now archived) that used fishing line. It was at a boat launch for a small lake, so if anyone saw the line they would probably think it was from some a bad cast that got snagged.

However, the fishing line is very hard to see, and would work most anywhere.

There was one near my house (now archived) that used fishing line. It was at a boat launch for a small lake, so if anyone saw the line they would probably think it was from some a bad cast that got snagged.

However, the fishing line is very hard to see, and would work most anywhere.

One of my favorite finds was a cache that used fishing line. Unfortunately, the CO used too light of weight and he had regular maintenance problems as it kept breaking. Last time, he went with heavier fishing line.

Hi, I'm TheCacheSeeker. Previously, I have posted and read on the forums as zdeng15014.

I have an awesome cache idea. Attach a bison on the back of a piece of wood. Tie a string to the wood. Hoist the wood on to a high tree branch. Tie the string somewhere. When a cacher searches for it, he/she will lower the string to retrive the cache. Any feedback on my idea?

Thanks!

Snagging would cause the string to break, use strong fishing line[as strong as you can find]

neat idea, i've heard of before but never have seen one.

If you want to have cachers find your cache, forget the super hide.

If you want to mess with cachers and have them waste their time, then do what you are thinking.

Heck, why not hide a nano INSIDE a stick and then hide it way up un the tree with no string? I mean, the cache is there even though it will never be found, right?

If you run the rope over to a second tree some distance away, and down to the attachment point on that second tree, it can be quite hard to notice - unless you actually tilt your head back. Basically a big inverted U shape.

I found a cache like that once. It had a big container and a not-so-subtle rope, but the setup meant that it took us a while to find it. I was impressed.

Also, as people tend not to look up I used large-ish type containers - no need to go micro.

It works for me. I've sometimes wandered around for an hour before noticing the ammo can hanging from a branch (and sometimes wondered how I could possibly have missed that). Half the time, I only find it because I found the string.

If you want to mess with cachers and have them waste their time, then do what you are thinking.

Heck, why not hide a nano INSIDE a stick and then hide it way up un the tree with no string? I mean, the cache is there even though it will never be found, right?

Why don't you go find a LPC instead of mocking on here. Yeah, it's not new anymore, but your being ridiculous. A hanging cache is not that hard to find.

If you run the rope over to a second tree some distance away, and down to the attachment point on that second tree, it can be quite hard to notice - unless you actually tilt your head back. Basically a big inverted U shape.

I found a cache like that once. It had a big container and a not-so-subtle rope, but the setup meant that it took us a while to find it. I was impressed.

This is what I did with Lester Moore. This why I put the little cross near the area. If you find that it's easy. But standing at the cache GZ it's pretty hard to see.

I used something like this (but at half the price). The OD green is practically invisible.

Thanks everybody for replying. I just have one more question. What should I say in the cache description? How much should I say about how I hid it? Thanks!

Depends on how easily you want it to be found. Trust me, hide it and they will find it. But I hide caches to be found so I make them big enough to be easily seen from the ground. There is no need to say it's hanging in the description, IMO. Maybe something in the cache name to tip them off.

Why don't you go find a LPC instead of mocking on here. Yeah, it's not new anymore, but your being ridiculous. A hanging cache is not that hard to find.

I see. I should only reply if I agree with the idea?

Thanks for clarifying that.

Another good implementation of more-or-less the same idea: GC1ZTAJ.

The non-cache end of the line is concealed in a pile of rocks of the type that would naturally (perhaps unnaturally) draw the attention of any reasonably experienced cacher. Nothing for bittsen to fret about.

I was FTF & First to Break on a small plastic container hanging in a hemlock tree. The fishing line was too thin, and the hemlock has a lot of snags. I'm not sure how the CO remedied the problem. (Yes. I fessed up.)

The ammo can hanging in a tree took us a while to find!

The one Saturday was a medicine bottle sized container, hung with twine. It was too light to drop on its own. We had to use a branch to bring it down.

That would be a bit better. Instead of green paint, however, you can buy cammo spray paint. I still would reccomend putting it far in the woods. Out there, caches can be in plain sight and not get muggled.

Edit: Sorry. I wrote my reply while knowschad wrote his.

I'm thinking about putting it near some local trails,

Near trails? I like the idea of an ammo can better! :)

I've seen the cache you're thinking about. It was a coffee can hoisted up into a palm tree with a pulley system to get it down. At the base of the tree there was another coffee can used as misdirection that said, "not the cache" inside. It was pretty cute. It was at the cachers home.

We have a cache like that: GC1GFR4. We used a camoed water bottle and put some really large washers inside to give it weight. In the hint we said to look up. Then in the description made sure people were aware that decoding the hint would make the cache a lot easier. People seem to like it.

I was planning a cache similar with fishing line. I thought it would be cool to throw the cache over the branch of one tree and then throw it again over the branch of a nearby tree. The the vertical part is hidden against the tree and only the horizontal part would be visible but with backlighting it would be hard to see. My guess is that you would have to make sure there was some excess so that when the wind blew it would just slightly raise and lower the cache rather than snap the line. I may just try it right across a trail 10-15 feet up.