Job 28 - God of Science

GregsonVaux

I received four samples from the mint today. They put on soft enamel instead of hard and there were a few other issues, but on the whole, it is nice to see an idea become reality. I would like to show the other samples, but due to the errors, they are not yet ready for display. I think the coins will look twice as good with the hard enamel.

IMG_9595small.jpg

IMG_9583small.jpg

IMG_9581small.jpg

Woah! That is so beautiful. Missed this tread until now. I love this coin for the concept but now for its beauty as well. That colour is gorgeous!

I usually prefer hard enamel as I don't like the way that soft enamel 'shrinks' down from the metal, but with this one it seems to help the clarity. Does the lettering on the edge curve over onto the rim, or does the coin have a flat rim and the words gently ebb off?

Woah! That is so beautiful. Missed this tread until now. I love this coin for the concept but now for its beauty as well. That colour is gorgeous!

I usually prefer hard enamel as I don't like the way that soft enamel 'shrinks' down from the metal, but with this one it seems to help the clarity. Does the lettering on the edge curve over onto the rim, or does the coin have a flat rim and the words gently ebb off?

I'm glad you like them. The mint I am working with is unable to wrap the words onto the edge, but I probably would not have done that anyway. The words are cut off by the edge with the intention of making it look like the quote is much longer (which it is) and that the window you are looking through is too small. Maybe the best part of the quote is just beyond the edge. If only you could somehow see it.

At this time, I am planning on having eight different editions that include different base metals, platings, and enamels, but some details are still up in the air.

Wow, I was totally flashed when I saw the pictures of the samples. That is really an awesome coin, congratulations for this one GregsonVaux! I'm not quite sure if I'm able to afford all 8 versions since we are working on a personel coin right now but I will definitely buy some of these beauties. Looking forward to see hard enemal but I also really like the soft enemal on the side with the galaxy!

Wow, I was totally flashed when I saw the pictures of the samples. That is really an awesome coin, congratulations for this one GregsonVaux! I'm not quite sure if I'm able to afford all 8 versions since we are working on a personel coin right now but I will definitely buy some of these beauties. Looking forward to see hard enemal but I also really like the soft enemal on the side with the galaxy!

This was the only coin with soft enamel that looked good. The others had color smears all over the letters and images making the coins look sloppy. I think that the design is too complex to easily wipe the color off properly. Hard enamel has a buffing (stoning) process that does a much better job of getting the top level clean. For those who like the tactile feeling of a coin, there will also be some bare versions without enamel. My concern was that the design would be too complex and the details would be lost without color, but the enamel free editions are still easy to make out.

I am still waiting for more samples, so there may be additional pictures in a few days.

The coins arrived today! There are six editions including a limited edition that will be limited to thirty-one coins and will be a bit unusual. There will also be two solid copper editions. They all look fantastic. I will be posting pictures and giving more information in the near future.

These coins will be up for sale in the very near future so here is my formal introduction to the coin and its six editions:

Job 28 – God of Science is the second coin in the Orthography series that features different writing systems. The first showcased tengwar runes, while this one showcases biblical Hebrew.

The Hebrew passage is from the book of Job in the bible, the 28th chapter and well describes the pursuit of science. This is moving poetry, “. . . They search the sources of the rivers and bring hidden things to light . . . “ The front side of the coin shows science’s current best depiction of our Milky Way galaxy. The spiral arms continue into the English translation of the Hebrew. The font used very closely matches the look of classical Hebrew.

The back side of the coin contains the exact same text as the other side, but in biblical Hebrew from thousands of years in the past. The images are concepts unknown to humanity until revealed by science. They are:

The standard model of particle physics

The quark model of the proton

A telescope

Magnetic field lines around the Earth

A macrophage

A benzene molecule

A golden spiral

Cell division (mitosis)

A stellated dodecahedron (center image)

An interference pattern (background image)

The six editions follow:

IMG_0129small.jpg

Here are the fronts of all six editions

IMG_0136small.jpg

Here are the backs

IMG_0210small.jpg

This is the "Smelted Copper" edition. It is solid copper with an antique finish. The name comes from the text on the coin.

IMG_0202small.jpg

Smelted Copper

IMG_0145small.jpg

This is the "Iron from the Earth" edition. Again, the name comes from the text on the coin. This coin is made from solid iron with a protective coat. I normally would never make a coin from a metal that oxidizes so easily, but the biblical passage demanded it. Only thirty-one of these coins were minted and they will never again be made. There is also a single additional iron coin that contains a mistake in the die.

IMG_0140small.jpg

Iron from the Earth

IMG_0147small.jpg

Iron from the Earth

IMG_0150small.jpg

Iron from the Earth

More editions will continue in the next post.

Here are the other four editions:

IMG_0161small.jpg

This is the "Fires of Creation" edition. It is red transparent enamel and an 18 karat gold finish over a brass core. The name evokes the big bang as well as the hearts of stars where new elements are created.

IMG_0155small.jpg

Fires of Creation

IMG_0180small.jpg

This is the "Life Emergent" edition. It is green transparent enamel over solid copper. It celebrates one of the more interesting things to be found in the universe. The word 'emergent' not only invokes life coming into being, but also the concept of emergent properties from chaos theory.

IMG_0177small.jpg

Life Emergent

IMG_0168small.jpg

This is the "Gleaming Truth" edition. It is blue transparent enamel and a nickel finish over a brass core.

IMG_0167small.jpg

Gleaming Truth

IMG_0193small.jpg

This is the "golden Knowledge" edition. It is blue transparent enamel and 18 karat gold over a brass core.

IMG_0187small.jpg

Golden Knowledge

SimpleGalaxybigiconmorecontrast.jpg

For those who are into icons, here is what it looks like.

Edited by GregsonVaux

I was asked by a number of people to provide minting numbers so here they are:

Iron from the Earth - 31 minted no remints ever

Smelted Copper - 52 minted

Golden Knowledge - 50 minted

Gleaming Truth - 50 minted

Fires of Creation - 30 minted

Life Emergent - 50 minted

Dark Energy - 1 minted no remints ever (This will be auctioned at some point in the future).

I have decided to make the fires of creation the AE, so it will only be available by special arrangement, trades, and auctions.

Individual coins will cost $9.97 each. These cost less than the Dawning Hope coins because they use some less expensive techniques and I will pass the savings along.

Sets of five (AE excluded) will be $49.85. The price per coin will be the same as singles, but will include the limited edition Iron from the Earth, which is only available with the set.

Other than the limited editions, any of these could be reminted, but that depends on demand. It is also quite possible that none of them will be reminted. Also, the year is on the coin, so any remints after this year will have a different designation engraved on them.

Thanks for the feedback. I make every effort to get them out quickly, but it looks like you were lucky that customs ignored them. On the other hand, it may be that I am sending out enough coins that customs is getting to know my packages. I especially send a lot to Britain and Germany.

Received my order of 3 of these coins this morning - 1 week from placing order to arriving in south Wales, UK - good service.

Very nice coins. Thanks. :)

MrsB