REALLY LATE logs

I log all my finds in a timely manner (usually the day found) and expect at least a semblance of this from others. Anyone who logs a cache a year after the fact is obviously not very 'into' the hobby and I do not see why they would even bother logging at all at this point. If an individual is so disinterested or preoccupied they can't post a log in a decent time frame they should consider finding another hobby. Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.

Wow.

Just wow.

Judgmental. Control freak. Entitlement.

Hat trick! Congrats.

Am I alone in the opinion that this displays somewhat of a disrespect not only for the cache owners but for fellow cachers?

You are probably not alone. I imagine we could find 1 or 2 other people who share your opinion.

PLEASE don't say some people are really busy

Ok. I won't say it since you are already aware of it.

I log all my finds in a timely manner (usually the day found) and expect at least a semblance of this from others. Anyone who logs a cache a year after the fact is obviously not very 'into' the hobby and I do not see why they would even bother logging at all at this point. If an individual is so disinterested or preoccupied they can't post a log in a decent time frame they should consider finding another hobby. Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.

You can expect anything you want. Doesn't mean we have to give it to you. Some people do have lives and can barely squeeze in the time to go caching. Logging the caches is not a priority. In fact, a lot of people never log at all. But then you have people complaining about people finding their caches and not logging.

What I have found over time is that geocachers (just like the rest of society) like to complain. We all think everyone should do things the way we do it. But there are many ways to accomplish most tasks and we humans will usually find all of them.

BTW, if you are so disinterested or preoccupied to respond to this thread when it was originally started in January, maybe you should consider a different forum.

Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.

Really? Whatever makes you feel good dude. <_<

Back to when I was into this hobby there were many times I would be several months behind on logging. I would say very few would have said that I was not into the hobby (at that time I would alternate with another very active cacher as leading with the most finds in the world) thus your reasoning is not sound. If you delete finds as you describe you may soon get a warning from Groundspeak to stop deleting and then find your own account locked... you are not allowed to delete finds for being "late".

BruceS is a Moderator, not a Lackey.

He's "into" Waymarking right now.

Makes no difference to me. One only needs to know and understand the Guidelines in order to be a Moderator.

Edited by Pup Patrol
Idiotguy[/i]' timestamp='1316865031' post='4850446']

Wow.

Just wow.

Judgmental. Control freak. Entitlement.

Hat trick! Congrats.

+1 Are people not allowed to forget? Actually, people that are really into this hobby may find so many in one day, they forget to log one or two. What's the alternative? Asking them to find the cache a 2nd time so they can log it. That's ridiculous.

How are you at REALLY LATE forum posts? :lol:

Yep!! Better then no forum posts. :laughing:

Anyone who logs a cache a year after the fact is obviously not very 'into' the hobby
Or perhaps they're no longer very "into" the geocaching partner with whom they shared an account, and they're re-logging all the caches they found under a new individual account.

Or perhaps their record keeping is imperfect, and they just recently found the records from that geocaching trip last year.

Or perhaps they've been very earnestly geocaching with the preloaded data in their Geomate.jr and just now created an account and started logging their finds.

Or perhaps they're very "into" geocaching by their own standards, even if they aren't very "into" geocaching by yours.

Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.
Cite?

A log is a log is a log. It matters little whether you actually found it today, yesterday, a month ago or further.

People have lives outside of geocaching, things get in the way, notebooks of details get lost, group accounts get split into single accounts and need relogged, and probably a load of other excuses that are perfectly fair.

The only one I do see as odd is logging a DNF - I see DNF's as a log of problems and when I have posted them I try to explain the issue, whether lack of preparation (forgetting the GPS or details and working off memory), unsuitable conditions (in the case of higher terrain ones that may be risky) or just plain not being able to find it, a DNF can highlight problems the(presumably) average cacher has found. Log it six months late and the issues are different - if a cache was DNF'ed by a few through being missing then replaced, a late DNF could add confusion that was pointless.

The only one I do see as odd is logging a DNF - I see DNF's as a log of problems and when I have posted them I try to explain the issue, whether lack of preparation (forgetting the GPS or details and working off memory), unsuitable conditions (in the case of higher terrain ones that may be risky) or just plain not being able to find it, a DNF can highlight problems the(presumably) average cacher has found. Log it six months late and the issues are different - if a cache was DNF'ed by a few through being missing then replaced, a late DNF could add confusion that was pointless.

Logging a DNF months after the fact is probably more about keeping track of personal history than informing anyone about a problem at the cache.

If I happened to forget to log a DNF, and remembered it months later, I would log it because every now and then I look over my DNF list and go back to search for some of them.

That said, I agree that a timely DNF log is much more helpful to everyone in general.

My own logs range from same day to a week or more, depending on what's happening in my life. I cache when I can and I log when I can.

Wow. That's something you can't do, and it doesn't even matter the reason why someone logs late.

In our case most of our caching is done in spurts on trips away from home. We'll find the caches, upload the field notes and try to log a note dropping off any trackables moved, but the real found-it logs lag a bit behind. Why? We like to write descriptive nice logs. I can log a few of those a night sometimes, but I don't want to rush them. I hate TFTC and want to write something different and meaningful for each, which can take a bit of time.

I apologize that my logging habits aren't your cup of tea, but that's why we have many flavors of ice cream to choose from here!

:mmraspberry:

Wow. That's something you can't do, and it doesn't even matter the reason why someone logs late.

In our case most of our caching is done in spurts on trips away from home. We'll find the caches, upload the field notes and try to log a note dropping off any trackables moved, but the real found-it logs lag a bit behind. Why? We like to write descriptive nice logs. I can log a few of those a night sometimes, but I don't want to rush them. I hate TFTC and want to write something different and meaningful for each, which can take a bit of time.

I apologize that my logging habits aren't your cup of tea, but that's why we have many flavors of ice cream to choose from here!

:mmraspberry:

Just checked my field notes...oops I've got 15 to log. From September 10th, 15th and 21st. I'll get to it!

About two weeks ago I went out to search for a "Lonely Cache"--one that hasn't been found in over a year. It was a puzzle cache that I had taken a few shots at before, but not been able to solve. When I saw it was a lonely cache, I put a little more effort into it, and was able to get to a point where I could narrow it down to two locations--and the geochecker said yes to one of them.

I went out the next morning excited to get my prize, and found someone else's name on the logbook from three weeks earlier. This person had not logged the cache, even though others found on that same day were logged. I was extremely disappointed not to have my lonely cache find.

I was bugged about it for a while, but I eventually decided that if this cache had been logged in a timely manner, I probably wouldn't have had the burst of inspiration to solve this puzzle in the first place. But in a situation like this, I still think that caches should be logged in a relatively short time frame after being found.

About two weeks ago I went out to search for a "Lonely Cache"--one that hasn't been found in over a year. It was a puzzle cache that I had taken a few shots at before, but not been able to solve. When I saw it was a lonely cache, I put a little more effort into it, and was able to get to a point where I could narrow it down to two locations--and the geochecker said yes to one of them.

I went out the next morning excited to get my prize, and found someone else's name on the logbook from three weeks earlier. This person had not logged the cache, even though others found on that same day were logged. I was extremely disappointed not to have my lonely cache find.

I was bugged about it for a while, but I eventually decided that if this cache had been logged in a timely manner, I probably wouldn't have had the burst of inspiration to solve this puzzle in the first place. But in a situation like this, I still think that caches should be logged in a relatively short time frame after being found.

Well bless your lil' heart. I do understand the initial disappointment. I've been in the same situation. However, those dates in the actual log book really don't mean squat if you think about it. The person who logs it online FIRST is what the geo community sees. So in all actuality, you found it first. If the person logs it weeks or months later, it's rare that they'll actually put down the correct date.

Even if they DO somehow remember the exact date...and bump you down, so what? You got another smiley AND solved the puzzle. That's enough for a pat on the back for me! :D

Something very similar happened to me this summer! I was in Texas and had ID's a Lonely Cache that hadn't been found in over three months (the cutoff for our local challenge) that could only be reached by boat. Cajoled my brother-in-law to take me and the the kids out there, and when we finally found the container we saw that someone had logged it two months previous without logging online. Ah well... there will be others!