REALLY LATE logs

Sitting here this evening logging our caches for the day I noticed a bunch of found it/didn't find it logs coming in posted by a local cacher and dated May 2010 ! This is December 31st !!

Am I alone in the opinion that this displays somewhat of a disrespect not only for the cache owners but for fellow cachers ?

PLEASE don't say some people are really busy and don't have time to log because I've seen this pattern MANY TIMES from the same cacher and she'll log 100 caches at a time updating her find count in every log.

I say, if you have the time to find em' you also should have the time to log em' AT LEAST within 7 days.

C'mon, if you log DNF's 8 months later, who cares ? Who does it help ? Why bother ?

Ugghh.

I had a really delayed log because I lost my binder of information I had the answer in. And putting my dog to sleep and dealing with my real life by far took precedence for months over doing a log. My friend logs when he has time. Sometimes that means months at a time go by. I also went back and logged notes on caches to dip a new bug months after the fact.

Not evveryone can or wants to log immediately. Such is life. Nothing to get upset about or insulted over.

My question is why does it matter when they log it? I live in Middle Tn where Geowoodstock 7 was held May 2009. I still have some logs coming in on my caches from then. No skin off my teeth. It doesn't keep me from finding caches. It doesn't keep me from enjoying hiking or going to events and hanging with the other cachers. So why should I care when others choose to put there found it or DNF on the cache page?

My parents are in their mid 60s and they don't always log their finds or lack of. They enjoy caching with my family and I at times. Sometimes they are able to go back and log one here and there when they ask me "what cache was that when ....." It shouldn't matter when a cache is logged online as long as their name is on the logsheet, find or otherwise.

Remember its just a game and everyone will play different. Its how you play it that matters to you. Don't fret the way others play or you'll always find problems.

Just have fun!

My parents are in their mid 60s and they don't always log their finds or lack of. They enjoy caching with my family and I at times. Sometimes they are able to go back and log one here and there when they ask me "what cache was that when ....." It shouldn't matter when a cache is logged online as long as their name is on the logsheet, find or otherwise.

Remember its just a game and everyone will play different. Its how you play it that matters to you. Don't fret the way others play or you'll always find problems.

Just have fun!

That's great advice !!

So it would be ok if we logged the FTF we got tonight in.....August ??

Just have fun!

That's great advice !!

Why not. The online counts for absolutely zip on FTF's. The only thing that counts on FTF's is the empty logbook in the cache. Most of the FTF's I logged I was not the first online log. Doesn't bother me, doesn't bother the CO didn't seem to bother the other cachers.

I've had logs showing up a year or more late. No biggy. And some folks really don't like or understand computers and have someone else do the logging when they have time.

If you had a death in your family or one of your kids got really sick and was in the hospital or you were in a bad car accident and in the hospital for a couple weeks and then perhaps in rehab would logging your last finds really be near the top of your really important things to do list? I doubt it.

Just have fun!

That's great advice !!

If you are you being serious, I will answer by saying this. Did you actually find the cache and sign the logsheet? Then it shouldn't matter when you log online. If you are mocking my reply, then I will say play the way you want and good luck.

My question is why does it matter when they log it? I live in Middle Tn where Geowoodstock 7 was held May 2009. I still have some logs coming in on my caches from then. No skin off my teeth. It doesn't keep me from finding caches. It doesn't keep me from enjoying hiking or going to events and hanging with the other cachers. So why should I care when others choose to put there found it or DNF on the cache page?

+1. I hosted the Going APE event at GW8 on July 2, and I still have logs coming in. In fact, my registration manager finally logged it...today.

I don't see how it shows any dis-respect? The only exception I see that could be considered dis-respect would be ftf's or some type of needs maint or other critical info about the status of the cache.

For someone to collect their logs and log them all at once really isn't as uncommon as you probably think.

People take vacations, and multi-week road trips all the time, after its over spending hours on the computer really isn't a priority.

I say, if you have the time to find em' you also should have the time to log em' AT LEAST within 7 days.
I log online as soon as it's convenient. Sometimes that's within a few hours. Often, it's the same day. Usually, it's within a week.

So far, it's always been within a month. But if I'm geocaching during a 2-week vacation when my internet access is limited, then I won't log the earlier finds within your 7-day limit. Actually, it may be closer to 3 weeks, since I probably won't log anything online immediately after I get back either.

And FWIW, I know people who never post logs online. They won't make your 7-day limit either.

Am I alone in the opinion that this displays somewhat of a disrespect...

I doubt if you're alone in any opinion, but it's a minority view for sure.

And one I don't share. Heck I have finds dating back to GW4 (May 06)that are in a GSAK database. I might log 'em someday, especially if I ever find the file folder with the pics :rolleyes: .

Sometime in the last year, someone logged a cache of mine, dating from their Florida trip in '05. It was a hoot to see the log come in.

Re logging FTF fast....if people play the FTF game, they need to be prepared for disappointment. The pioneers take the arrows. If someone finds and doesn't log right away, oh well.

I do think it's a courtesy to log ASAP on FTF, but it's not some great evil not to. In my part of the world there's a cacher who never logs online. He's been FTF a couple of times (I was right behind him/her). Them's breaks.

I found a few caches a couple years ago, but a tragic event in my family prevented me from logging them in a timely manner. For the next few months my life was in such turmoil, that logging those caches was the last thing on my mind. I ended up in the witness relocation program which ended all hope of ever logging them. But, three months ago there were events that led to me being able to return to my life. I was able to log most of the 13 caches I had found that day years ago.

Okay, this whole story is a load of crap, but it shows there are reasons for late logging.

I found a few caches a couple years ago, but a tragic event in my family prevented me from logging them in a timely manner. For the next few months my life was in such turmoil, that logging those caches was the last thing on my mind. I ended up in the witness relocation program which ended all hope of ever logging them. But, three months ago there were events that led to me being able to return to my life. I was able to log most of the 13 caches I had found that day years ago.

Okay, this whole story is a load of crap, but it shows there are reasons for late logging.

It was a really good story until the last line. That one line wrecked the whole story. But I enjoyed reading it. :laughing:

I am local to the original poster and know cachers that log VERY late in their finds, but they have over 11,000 logged finds - I'm sure they have closer to 12,000 finds. But their logs are great when written, because they take the time to make good logs for good caches. Other than a worry about FTF being somehow related to the online logs, how does this delay in logging affect a cache owner?

+1. I hosted the Going APE event at GW8 on July 2, and I still have logs coming in. In fact, my registration manager finally logged it...today.

I still get logged discoveries of my car from GW8. One just a few days ago.

Come to that, I still have to find my old notebook and finish logging all the discoveries I made at the event. I keep losing that silly book!

Sitting here this evening logging our caches for the day I noticed a bunch of found it/didn't find it logs coming in posted by a local cacher and dated May 2010 ! This is December 31st !!

Am I alone in the opinion that this displays somewhat of a disrespect not only for the cache owners but for fellow cachers ?

Please explain to me exactly how tardy logging is in any way disrespectful to anyone. Why do you care if others don't log their caches online in what you consider a timely manner? GreyRedEyesFlashing.gif

GreySquint.gif

I don't see why a cache owner would interpret this as a sign of disrespect. To be honest, I don't even look at the dates when I get log notifications. I just can't imagine what is so bothersome about a post-dated log.

I try to log in a timely manner, but my partner has trouble finding time to keep up with his logs. He likes to write thoughtful log entries, and that takes time. As of right now, I'm pretty sure he's a year behind in his logging.

If there's a time-sensitive issue with a cache, he'll post a note or a NM log to let the owner know, but he'll still write his found it log later.

As for DNF logs, there are different reasons for writing them. I write them as much for my own benefit as for others, because I like to keep an eye on caches I didn't find so I can try them again later.

Setting an arbitrary time limit for cache logging seems unnecessary and controlling. Time to chill out.

I don't have a big problem with it as long as they properly back date the logs. When you get old finds that aren't backdated it can cause serious confusion on caches that have been AWOL for months with a string of DNFs.

It is nice to log DNFs in a timely manner as they may alert the owner and fellow finders to a potential problem, but what are ya gonna do?

Yes, life does get in the way of logging online. I have a lot higher find count than what my stats show. I did log the paper log, I have not gotten around to logging others. If I find the find logs later I might go ahead and put them in. They would be for finds up to two years ago.

Get over it! It's a GAME, it's for FUN!! I forgot about three finds I did for two years because I changed GPS receivers, but I logged them with the correct date when I fired up the old GPS, so who cares? I do think the date found or DNF should be the actual date though, otherwise it means nothing to the CO.

Edited by kwhart

We usually log on the same day,sometimes it takes a few days. I have had to play catch up myself. I started caching before I got my first computer and didn't use the other one at home. When I did get with the cyber age, before I even got online....the darn hard drive crashed and had to be replaced. I know there are some caches I have missed logging, and if I can identify them, I will log them retroactively. Added to that, my Mum passed away in that year so I was running on automatic and in a bit of a fog. Logging caches in a timely manner was not high on my priority list.

Not everyone has a computer. When I started geocaching I didn't have a computer and had to go to the library and pay by the page to print out a cache. Did that for the first two years and then life got in the way. I found a bunch of caches during that time that never got logged, although I do remember going to places, some out of state. If I ever come across those old pages with the date found I'd log them in a heartbeat...and have a good laugh with the writeup (now on my own computer). Computers are so common that we forget that not everyone has one. Also, you never know what happened in another person's life. Sometimes it's pretty darned serious.

A few weeks ago I got 2 DNF emails within a few days of each other on one of my caches. I made plans to go out to check/replace the cache but then I got a further email reporting a find on it so I postponed my maintenance check thinking all was well. I then got a further email reporting a DNF and a NM one. On checking further I realized the found report was from some months ago and the cache was indeed missing. Yes, I should have looked closer at date of find on the email, but yes, a late log of a find can affect other cachers and cache owners.

C'mon, if you log DNF's 8 months later, who cares ? Who does it help ? Why bother ?

Everything else from the OP has been addressed, except this part.

I'm currently about a year and 3 months behind in my logging. I love to find caches but I hate to log them. Too tedious. But lately the weather has not been conducive to caching, so I've been logging. I log all my DNFs, unless the cache has already been archived. When I log the DNF, sometimes I'll look back at the logs from that era and see that the CO confirmed the cache was missing a week after I got there, and he replaced it. I'll mention that in my DNF log.

Then 3 years later when I happen to be back in the area and I happen to search for the same cache again, I'll walk up and think "this looks familiar." I can then look at the logs and see that I DNF'd it 3 years ago because the cache was missing. So for me, logging a really old DNF is more like a note to myself than it is a note to the cache owner.

What baffles me is about late loggers is how do you keep track of this stuff so long? To me, that seems like more work than logging it right away. For me, logging is super easy because my gps keeps track of my finds. If I waited to log, I'd have to record that information somehow before I loaded new caches into it, and if I'm doing that, I might as well just log them. Do you keep computer files? A paper list? I'd lose both in a month or two. Memory? Doubtful.

We enter our finds in the Palm Pilot (Okay. We call it a Paw Pilot, because it belongs to Andy Bear.) Generally, I log them when I get home. If I'm travelling, and if I don't have access to one of those wireless gizmos, those I'll enter when Iget home. Usually within a week. (The Paw Pilot is also a great place to keep track of trackables' numbers!)

Logs on my caches? Whenever you get around to it works for me! There's a local trio: One logs on the day found (found with A & B). A & B sometimes take a month or two to log their finds. Oh, well. They found it, they're entitled to log it! (I do prefer that they log with the date found...) I find that many European caches do not log their finds until they get home. That can run two weeks, or more. Oh, well. They found the cache; they are entitled to log it.

I find that really annoying! Sometimes I'll see on some of my hides "catching up on logs" and that's all they say! Well, geez, thank you for even finding my cache - hope you liked it <_<

If I didn't log my finds the same day as I found them, I'd tend to forget the story of how I found it and I probably wouldn't care. That's why I log them as soon as I get home from caching. To me, logging it in is part of the fun. Why bother if it's been many months!

Disrespect? That seems like a mighty strange word to describe behavior that has NO effect on you at all.

I have 2 caches in NW La. right off Interstae 20 and they get hit alot and i don't bother checking the logs but three months ago several cacher from another state log both of them from a year ago and this raises a red flag with me so i go there and look at the log and i did not see their name on the log anywhere,so I guess some cachers like the numbers game logging them from home instead of actually going there and putting on a signature..when ppl have 10 to 15k caches and only been caching for 2 or 3 yrs, i can pretty much bet how they got all those logs..

This is my opinion!!

I've got 2 caches that require hiking a few miles uphill to get and thus have few finds because the local thinking is if terrain is greater than a 1.5 you obviously cannot get a good numbers run for the day so you should forget going after the cache.

If those get logged with backdated logs, I'll question it in my head but won't consider saying or doing anything until next time I hike out and can verify the physical log.

Ugghh.

I say if you find a cache you can log it any time you feel like it. There are no rules, and I see no disrespect at all.

Regarding the old DNF logs. A DNF log is just as important to me as a found log. Its a record of what I did. I dont post DNF logs for other people. I post them for myself.

Ugghh.

I logged a cache really late once. It was my first cache and I just sorta' forgot about it because we found it before we had a membership.

There are a few caches I never logged online and I probably never will at this point

for various reasons.

No disrespect meant. I signed the logs and put the caches back as I found them.

If someone finds my caches, they shouldn't feel compelled to log it online unless they have something to say. I don't care either way. I love getting new logs, but if its blank or just says "logged from a mobile device" I'd just as soon not get the e-mail.

That said, none of the above really offends me or anything.

If there is one thing cachers do that I would call "disrespectful" I would say it's treating TBs poorly and failing to log them in a timely manner.

Edited by d+n.s

I log all my finds in a timely manner (usually the day found) and expect at least a semblance of this from others. Anyone who logs a cache a year after the fact is obviously not very 'into' the hobby and I do not see why they would even bother logging at all at this point. If an individual is so disinterested or preoccupied they can't post a log in a decent time frame they should consider finding another hobby. Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.

I log all my finds in a timely manner (usually the day found) and expect at least a semblance of this from others. Anyone who logs a cache a year after the fact is obviously not very 'into' the hobby and I do not see why they would even bother logging at all at this point. If an individual is so disinterested or preoccupied they can't post a log in a decent time frame they should consider finding another hobby. Logs that are posted on my hides six months or more late are usually deleted unless a good reason for the delay is given.

How are you at REALLY LATE forum posts? :lol:

Ummmm.... they were sick, perhaps? Just had a close family member pass away, maybe? They got laid off from a job and responsibly spent all their spare time looking for work? Use your imagination... I suspect you can add to that list if you try.

Back to when I was into this hobby there were many times I would be several months behind on logging. I would say very few would have said that I was not into the hobby (at that time I would alternate with another very active cacher as leading with the most finds in the world) thus your reasoning is not sound. If you delete finds as you describe you may soon get a warning from Groundspeak to stop deleting and then find your own account locked... you are not allowed to delete finds for being "late".

Edited by BruceS
clarity