Idea for a new cache in my area

Krux151

SO i was out caching the other day and my brother cam up with a very good idea......

Its called the caching tree

It would be a tree, preferably smaller tree, in the woods or on our property and what it would be is there would be anywhere from 30-70 bison cache tubes such as this, http://www.shop4swag.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=133&osCsid=7d9f84b49fac7a04876a9e8a1db7f76a , on the tree

each tube would be made different in some way such as colors or markings on the tubes with clues on the page as to which tube holds the only log book.

Do you think this is actually a feasible idea or no? Personally i am leaned more toward no but i hope there is a way to get this to work.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!

I love ideas like this - its when you start to break them down on what could (and probably will) happen is when you start feeling bummed out

My first thought would be theft of bison tubes

People have done similar hides but using film canisters, not as valuable as a bison tube

I see that you are in OH - winter friendly??

All I can think of at the moment

Im sure others will have plenty to add

Racettes

I did one recently where there were 20 film cannisters in an ammo can. Only one contained the log sheet. Got logs with "couldn't find it just signed a card and left it there" Got tired of fighting over it so as long as someone signs something I leave it.

So the question is how willing are you to continually check the proper bison tube and delete logs where there is no signature? Be prepared for lots of grief.

I like the idea of offering clues so that observant geocachers can spot the correct container quickly. I've found "fake rock among many rocks" caches that were done in such a way that the cache stood out to anyone who took the time to look carefully. I enjoyed them, but others took the approach of checking every rock instead.

I also think you'd be likely to lose a lot of the decoys. Now is probably a good time to buy some cheap plastic Christmas tree ornaments. You could hang a bunch of them, and only one of them would have the container.

I also think you'd be likely to lose a lot of the decoys. Now is probably a good time to buy some cheap plastic Christmas tree ornaments. You could hang a bunch of them, and only one of them would have the container.

It would be Christmas all year long :) like this one might consider it myself if I can find a good location where the regular passerby would leave things be

Racettes

SO i was out caching the other day and my brother cam up with a very good idea......

Its called the caching tree

It would be a tree, preferably smaller tree, in the woods or on our property and what it would be is there would be anywhere from 30-70 bison cache tubes such as this, http://www.shop4swag.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=29&products_id=133&osCsid=7d9f84b49fac7a04876a9e8a1db7f76a , on the tree

each tube would be made different in some way such as colors or markings on the tubes with clues on the page as to which tube holds the only log book.

Do you think this is actually a feasible idea or no? Personally i am leaned more toward no but i hope there is a way to get this to work.

Thank you for your help!!!!!!!

IMHO... the idea is interesting and "evil" however, with a slight twist you won't incur the wrath of a bunch of cachers. Make one hide totally different from all the rest, for example it is the only black one, or it is the only match tube while all the rest are bison tubes. Then in the description you mention that one of these things doesn't belong. Taht way for those who read the description and title for clues you have given one, and for those who dont' read.... well they have a search ahead of them.

There's nothing stopping a cacher from adding a log to the first bison they open. Most won't but some will. You'll have a good many bisons with logs shortly.

I own a cache with multiple ammo cans - each with a laminated "not the cache" note in it - the real cache is there too (a tougher find, though not terribly difficult - some see it first)

Here's a log I received on this hide yesterday, "...Found two red herrings plus the real cache, judging from the log book inside.

One of the red herrings had some trade items and a note from someone saying they came out here to restock this cache

A sheet of paper inside clearly indicated this was NOT the cache."

If you're going to do something like this we recommend placing it in a nice area - someplace where a cacher wouldn't mind being while they look. We found a decoy-type cache in a beautiful woods with the sound of gurgling water nearby. Did not mind searching for a while in that case! The next decoy-type cache location was a trash-filled area behind a supermarket. Took a DNF rather than search in that location. This is personal opinion - others might focus on the cache challenge, not the location as much as we do.

I think its a neat idea, but some folks wont like it. Perhaps you can glue all of the bison tubes shut with the exception of the one with the log. That way everyone can do a quick test on each one till they find the right one. You should do whatever you want to do - just be prepared to deal with the rest of us B)

There is a cache a few towns over form us that is a five gallon bucket filled with about 200 film canisters.

I found the log in the 199th one.

The tree thing sounds cool though.

theres one on the same theme that is a LARGE.

its a 55 gallon drum with 3,000 film cannisters that you have to find the one with the log. its hid in a barn.

I don't understand why everyone thinks this is such a great idea. If there's some kind of clue on the cache page that will help me pick out the right one, great. But if I have to just randomly open bison tubes until I find the one with the log... boring! If I don't find it in the first couple of tries, it's going on my ignore list.

It does sound "evil," but not in a good way.

This is the part I like best. A giant logic puzzle. What looks like an evil needle-in-a-haystack problem becomes a manageable thinking exercise for those with a different kind of patience.

Make sure that your clues are not dependent on cachers leaving the containers in particular spots. You don't want the puzzle to get ruined if a few folks move the tubes around (intentionally or not).

I think it would be fun. And I wouldn't worry too much about people claiming a find after finding a decoy. Don't let a few people who don't bother to understand the cache get in the way of a fun puzzle for your other finders.