Since others gripe about their bugs' movements

Markwell

...I'll do a little griping too.

A bug that is obviously on a race to get back home, is placed in a cache that is - as the first sentence on the cache page states - "about 9 miles round trip." icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif

See my lament in the South and Southwest Forums here.

Bottom line: don't place racing Travel Bugs in extremely difficult caches. icon_rolleyes.gif While it's not on the top of my list of things that can go wrong with a Travel Bug, it's probably about #4.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching

Markwell,

I have to disagree with you on this one. Although certainly a difficult cache, there are two reasons why I feel its ok to leave your bug there.

First, the cache has historically been visited fairly often (for a cache of that difficulty), roughly once a month.

Second, I understand your bug is in a race, but does that exclude certain caches? During my PaterQuest, I could have gone and found only the easy ones (which there are surprisingly few of in Mississippi) but I wanted my finds to be "legitimate," so I blindly searched for every cache I was near--easy or difficult. If your bug only moved from easy cache to easy cache, I think that would diminish the experience, if you will. I find it rather exciting that this bug has moved to such an out-of-the way place, and will serve to make his journey even more remarkable.

The move was in generally the right direction... so aside from a momentary delay, I think the cacher who placed Batman in the cache didn't do anything to cause concern.

Jamie

Yeah, other than someone taking and never returning it to a cache - that is probably the next thing that I'd worry about... someone putting one of my bugs out in the middle of nowhere, in a rarely visited cache.

I'd never tell anyone they couldn't do that, of course - I feel once it is released, it is up to the community to move it around as they see fit.

It's just a shame when a bug is obviously in a hurry to get somewhere, that people don't use a little more common sense to put it somewhere that it will be picked up quickly. Looks like that cache averages about 1 visitor a month. icon_frown.gif

Good luck with that bug.

- Toe.

--==< http://home.columbus.rr.com/rubbertoe >==--

Well, my Nanook bug is stuck in a cache that hasn't been visited sine it was placed there. It's got sort of a high difficulty, but as my bug has made it from San Jose, California, to Australia... I'm not complaining. But then, Nanook is not in a race, either.

-------------------------------------

Becky Davis

San Jose, CA

Cache 'n' carry... My 4 year old!

I don't know . . . I feel your frustration, but I too think that this just adds to the adventure of it all. This would rank low on my anger meter. Having someone sit on a bug for FIVE months though . . . . icon_mad.gif

Besides, as I look at the goals - Superman has got it easy, and Wonder Woman and Batman got jacked. Maybe you secretly want Superman to win!

Of course I'm in Travel Bug heaven right now, so I'm just playing. My two bugs, after sitting in the hands of two different cachers for half a year, have picked up some considerable mileage, and are happily traveling again. icon_biggrin.gif

Like I said, it's not very high on my anger-o-dometer. It's just annoying. I realized that Superman had a shorter goal, but someone sat on him for just over four months. I never expected Batman to be the one to be held up for this long.

I guess I'm not too mad now that I think about it. Just frustrated that now the cache is even TOUGHER to get to than originally intended.

For those that want to follow the Superfriends, here's their hub.

Markwell

Chicago Geocaching