GSAK training video/presentation

Mike & Jess

You might get more responses in the GSAK user forum. Here though, the best home for your thread is the GPS and technology forum.

Good call.

I didn't want to sign up for another forum while away from home. Hopefully I'll get a good enough response from this forum to save signing up for another.

Thanks for moving the thread

Does anyone know of or have any GSAK presentations or instructional videos?

I am looking to introduce GSAK to a number of local cachers and would love to take the easy route.

Worst comes to worst, I can/will create some instructional videos.

GSAK is such a powerful application that your request seems very broad to me.

I actually gave a presentation on GSAK for our local geocachers...the focus being Pocket Queries, GSAK and the Garmin Colorado (and Oregon)...and looking back on what I covered, even that wasn't focused enough.

A web-based version (may require Internet Explorer to display correctly) is here: http://www.forrestegan.com/geocaching/CacheAStar.htm

Or, if you have PowerPoint you can download the presentation here: http://www.forrestegan.com/geocaching/CacheAStar.ppt

Edited by fegan

GSAK is such a powerful application that your request seems very broad to me.

I actually gave a presentation on GSAK for our local geocachers...the focus being Pocket Queries, GSAK and the Garmin Colorado (and Oregon)...and looking back on what I covered, even that wasn't focused enough.

A web-based version (may require Internet Explorer to display correctly) is here: http://www.forrestegan.com/geocaching/CacheAStar.htm

Or, if you have PowerPoint you can download the presentation here: http://www.forrestegan.com/geocaching/CacheAStar.ppt

I was looking for anything and everything I could find.

The material I'll be focusing on for our local guys will be really an introduction to it and work from there. Maybe a couple more focused advanced courses/presentations as the need arises.

I am not much of a power user myself. I got the basics at the camp fire during the Spring Fling 6 event, and ran with it. Putting together a presentation will make me learn more of the ins and outs.

I was looking for anything and everything I could find.

The material I'll be focusing on for our local guys will be really an introduction to it and work from there. Maybe a couple more focused advanced courses/presentations as the need arises.

I am not much of a power user myself. I got the basics at the camp fire during the Spring Fling 6 event, and ran with it. Putting together a presentation will make me learn more of the ins and outs.

I have seen this on Twitter Recently:

It appears that xpunkx (of xpunkx & Julez) had a webinar on GSAK a while back, and you can get it in a screen-cast format now. I haven't seen the presentation myself, but I have met the guy. He did a GSAK session at CacherCon in the Detroit area about a year ago (Feb 2010 I think).

I sure do need that, but have never found a basic walk-through. Just learning what the buttons do would be a huge help. I poked around with GSAK for a few weeks, eventually gave up, and now do it all manually.

You may want to look at the site for my local caching group. There are some very good and easy tutorials.

GSAK - First Steps

GSAK - Cool Stuff

Hope they help.

Cheers! B)

I'm sure a lot of folks will thank you for the "Cool Stuff" section. The reason it's tough to "explain" GSAK is because there are so many useful macros out there that modify the way it can function.

Two of my most frequently used macros are: CacheAttributes.gsk (adds a dummy log with any cache attributes to the top of the log list on the newer "paperless" units) and CompareDBs.gsk (used to compare my PQ with a friend's to see which unfounds we have in common for a day of caching).

Howdy Y'all, I thought that I would resurrect this thread rather then start another one just like it. I am wondering if there is any new info since January or if anyone knows of any that didn't get mentioned here? In an ideal world I would love a detailed series of videos on how to learn all of the ins and outs of GSAK. I am very computer capable and don't mind if it is jargon heavy or not. I see so much potential in the program but what is the sense in me working out all my own solutions to challenges that a lot of you likely solved before I even heard about Geocaching. Just paid for my GPS and can't wait for it to get here. I want to have a good long list of caches ready to go when it gets here.

Thanks,

Mike