Winter Cacheing

The Schuttes

Well its negative 9 degrees hear in wonderful Wyoming today and a brand new cache just came up in town.....I'm seriously thinking about going to get it in the morning....I work all night.

Whats your best " I braved ______for a cache story"

I hope you didn't let a little thing like cold weather keep you. I know snow can be dangerous, but cold? Ha!

Well its negative 9 degrees hear in wonderful Wyoming today and a brand new cache just came up in town.....I'm seriously thinking about going to get it in the morning....I work all night.

Whats your best " I braved ______for a cache story"

Well, nothinhg that great, really. I found a couple of early morning below zero degree caches in Southern Ontario during a planned outing where the high temp was forcasted for about 10 Deg. F. that day. And I once hid a cache early on a Sunday Morning when the little thermometor thing on my zipper said it was -2 Deg. F., but much warmer by the time it was published, and the FTF hounds were there in the afternoon. Assuming we're just talking about temperatures, here. :anibad:

Awesome!! Another WY Cacher out here in the forums...

I have been keeping up with my cache-a-day streak, and it is BAD when you can't find a 1/1 Regular... but then find the 3/1 small...

In my defense, the 1/1 was int he middle of a snow blown field with 2 FEET of snow on the ground. YEAH!!

The Steaks

p.s. It's all about layers. If you get cold, put another on. If your warm(or even sweating) take off a layer. ADJUST, and if your going on a caching run, turn DOWN the heat on your vehicle to where it keeps things from frosting.

Winter caching, Minnesota style.

A large group of cachers went after this cache after a big event last weekend. Unfortunately, I was unable to join them. Or perhaps fortunately, since it did end in a DNF. But wow! What a DNF to have been a part of!

The cache.

The video:

Part 2:

[Edited to provide link to the correct cache]

Edited by knowschad

I can't compete with some of the responses on the same level, but still, 15 degrees F and wind gusts to about 45 MPH, on top of an unobstructed hill, with snow on the ground (and covering the cache), was pretty brutal. Had it not been a C&D, I might not have thawed out until spring!

Nothing super extreme. Probably the coldest day I cached was in single digits (F). The most snow I've cached in was 2-3 feet (on several occasions) and the windiest day the breezes probably approached hurricane force. They were all different days, though the latter also involved nearly horizontal snow and an ice coated trail.

On second thought the most snow I've cached in was in Utah where I found myself literally neck deep in snow as soon as I left the parking lot. It took me quite some time to get out of that situation. The cache, which was only 50 feet away, was a DNF. It's still on my watchlist and the "easy find" logs I get during the summer gall me to this day.

Underwater geocaching in Minnesota. How cool.

Someone looking for a cache I used to have found it in three feet of snow. This is the kind of snow where to go forward you pick your foot up high enough to be out of the snow then sink it down in front of you and repeat doing the same with the other foot. You can't walk forward because the snow is too deep and you'll just fall down if you try so getting to the cache was an effort in itself. Then they found the micro matchholder under the snow, under the rock where it was hidden. It still impresses me.

Someone looking for a cache I used to have found it in three feet of snow. This is the kind of snow where to go forward you pick your foot up high enough to be out of the snow then sink it down in front of you and repeat doing the same with the other foot. You can't walk forward because the snow is too deep and you'll just fall down if you try so getting to the cache was an effort in itself. Then they found the micro matchholder under the snow, under the rock where it was hidden. It still impresses me.

The worst stuff (which we will probably have after this weekend) is the snow that has crusted over just enough to hold ten pounds less than what you weigh. Each step you take seems like this one is finally going to hold your weight, only to crush at the last second. That is when I really wish for snowshoes or bigger feet.

The worst stuff (which we will probably have after this weekend) is the snow that has crusted over just enough to hold ten pounds less than what you weigh. Each step you take seems like this one is finally going to hold your weight, only to crush at the last second. That is when I really wish for snowshoes or bigger feet.

Bought my snowshoes a couple years ago specifically for geocaching.

A large group of cachers went after this cache after a big event last weekend. Unfortunately, I was unable to join them. Or perhaps fortunately, since it did end in a DNF. But wow! What a DNF to have been a part of!

They lost me at "Drive across the lake". Some 'walk across the lake' caches I was considering, but the lack of parking, and the 2' of snow stopped me.

They lost me at "Drive across the lake". Some 'walk across the lake' caches I was considering, but the lack of parking, and the 2' of snow stopped me.

I don't know why that would bother you. Everybody does it here. In fact, in the wintertime, there is actually a seasonal "road" across the St. Croix river from Hudson, WI to Bayport, MN for people that live in Hudson but work at Andersen Windows on the Minnesota side.

Its perfectly safe.

car%20through%20ice.gif

We are heading out to do our first snowshoeing/frozen lake crossing cache tomorrow. We finally got a decent snowfall here and the temperatures have been low enough for us to feel confident on the ice. I don't like to cross the ice unless I at least see the snowmobilers and ice fisherman out. That car breaking through the ice picture makes me a little nervous, though!

We are heading out to do our first snowshoeing/frozen lake crossing cache tomorrow. We finally got a decent snowfall here and the temperatures have been low enough for us to feel confident on the ice. I don't like to cross the ice unless I at least see the snowmobilers and ice fisherman out. That car breaking through the ice picture makes me a little nervous, though!

Looks like you are somewhere around Mio? If so... no problem. You surely could drive on the ice. Snowshoes will make your walk easier, but not necessary for safety at this time of year.

Wow :lol: I realized this last week what a wimp we are down here in Southern Louisiana about cold weather. We have just had our first freezing temperatures of this winter, a serious winter freeze for us here- 3 days of 30* weather. Now, you have to understand, that my husband normally wears shorts year round, and does not even own a big coat. But when I suggested we go geocahing the other day, he called me crazy :rolleyes: I am wondering what we will do when we move to where we actually see snow more than once every three years or so. I need to show him the pictures you posted, and tease him about it. ;)

Edited by bigreys5

Wow :lol: I realized this last week what a wimp we are down here in Southern Louisiana about cold weather. We have just had our first freezing temperatures of this winter, a serious winter freeze for us here- 3 days of 30* weather. Now, you have to understand, that my husband normally wears shorts year round, and does not even own a big coat. But when I suggested we go geocahing the other day, he called me crazy :rolleyes: I am wondering what we will do when we move to where we actually see snow more than once every three years or so. I need to show him the pictures you posted, and tease him about it. ;)

If you haven't got the clothing for it, there is nothing whimpy about staying in at temperatures like that. We go through it for many months every year, so we have the long underwear, the coats, boots, snow pants, and even ski masks. You don't.

A long as you're properly dressed (and stay active), temperature shouldn't be a factor. Although it is tough when you have to remove your gloves to roll up that micro log sheet - you're fingers can get numb quickly.

But the worst part about winter caching are those pesky yeti. ;)

d5bdb7b3-ca4e-46ac-9632-be998063d68a.jpg

Needed my weekly geocaching fix! So, off we went into northern Essex County, NJ. This is what we save those cache and dashes for! Still one to two feet of snow covered by ice. (Downhill ice skating, anyone?) Deeper where the snow is plowed against the guard rails. Oh, pshaw. Most two-lane roads aroung here are one-lane now! Three finds, 6 DNFs. Oh, well. Nope! I ain't walking 187' aross two feet of snow, covered by ice to dig at the base of that tree! I may be crazy, but... What guard rail?!? I don't see a guard rail! That snow pile is taller than I am! Glad I didn't sink in!

Oh, well. We had fun! :rolleyes:

I braved an angry non-caching wife on our honeymoon for a smiley... :laughing:

No, seriously though, my wife and I decided to do an Alaskan cruise for our honeymoon, so I brought my GPS (When else would I have the chance to cache in Alaska??). When we got into Skagway, I meekly mentioned that I would like to find at least one cache in Alaska, so my wife was kind enough to let me go (after giving me "The Look" that only a wife can give) to an internet cafe and get a half hour of internet time. When I saw there was a cache nearby (Lil Miss Mollie - GCJT7N), Mandy told me that I had until the half hour of internet time was done to go, find it and return, so off I ran! I quickly found it, and met another cacher there from Oregon (Hi Seales5!), and ran back to the cafe. I made it with 5 minutes to spare! ;) We sailed out of Vancouver, BC, so I was able to log 2 finds there as well!

new to caching (started late july 2010), but not new to cold. this past year i moved back to IA (grew up there) from Thief River Falls, MN (spent 18 yrs there). early december i hit a semi local cache to grab some trackables to move north with me before i left. was expecting a fairly easy cache (and as we all know afterwards yes it was easy) but i made it much harder. had a blast and took 45 minutes i bet to find it. snow was just above my shoes (left boots at home as i was not expecting the snow there as we had a trace at home, but this was 30 minutes north and they had alot more snow) so i ended up with cold wet feet and a smiley with some trackables to take with me. on top of the snow on the ground it was actively snowing.

so now i head north after lunch that day. the entire 2wk trip was nothing but cold and snow. saw temps from 20 above to 20 below(windchills much colder at times). this was probably the most extreme. http://coord.info/GC6FE0 a friend of mine wanted a challenge. i had a coin that wanted to be in T4+ caches. so i found one and we made a day of it. what a day that was. windy cold and verry much Minnesnowta winter weather.

on this trip north i cached in various cold/windy conditions as well as the one cache i stepped off the snowmobile trail and into crotch deep snow. didnt see that one coming at all.

Monty

It's not about being dressed warmly, it's the 1 minute it takes to unscrew the cache to sign the log and put it back in and screw it back on....all without gloves. by far the worst part when it is cold out.

When I find a cache that requires "unscrewing" to sign the log, I generally take it back to my nice warm car to sign the log. If I'm too far from the car for that to be an option, the containers generally don't have screw-on lids.

OK, this isn't as extreme as someplace with REAL winter, but a few weeks back, when GA was clobbered by the ice/snow storms and we got "several inches" (like, maybe, almost FOUR!) of snow... the kids and I did our first-ever winter caching. :) Found a cache in the woods of a local park where there was still quite a bit of snow...everything looked absolutely the same, and GPS reception was spotty as heck. Pure luck, that one was. :) Having only been caching since January, that's all I've got so far. ;) But very memorable to me, as my first official "snow cache." :laughing:

Edited by MamaKatO