What makes a good bug?

Jamie Z

I haven't released a TravelBug, but I'd like to. I've got a couple of ideas.

In the meantime, I've helped along a couple other bugs, and it occurred to me that I enjoyed some more than others.

My favorite bug was Old Bet because the owner kept in contact with me, the bug was a cute elephant that I enjoyed taking pictures of, and other people seemed to be interested in it. Old Bet had a specific goal, and I felt better moving her along in the right direction.

Another bug I picked up, Lucy Goosey was a stuffed goose, which I thought was cool. Again, I enjoyed taking pictures of Lucy in different places that I took her. Lucy does not have a specific goal.

The third bug I've picked up is Sparky. Sparky is simply a keychain with a picture of a cartoon dog on it. Like Lucy, Sparky does not have a specific goal.

After having moved these three bugs, I found that I really enjoyed when a bug has a goal that I can help with. I also liked bugs that are "cute" and photogenic.

This opinion comes from a person who hasn't owned any travelbugs. What about owners? What do ya'll like about different travel bugs?

One thing I considered is that a cute bug is more likely to be stolen; is this true?

What makes a good bug from an owners perspective? What makes a good bug for the folks moving them along?

Jamie

With six bugs and one set of pre-bug travellers, I'll slide in with my opinions...

I set up Illuvian with a specific mission: to bring to light those old caches that are still active. Those would be caches that I would want to visit. But of all of my bugs, I'm the most discouraged by him.

Geoffrey was my first, and people seem to be having fun with him, but even with a specific mission, he's just not as much fun as the others.

Scoob and Shag are really fun, just because of how long they've been out there. I think the other thing that makes them more popular is the shared sense of cultural history we have. With the thread in the main forum seeming to point us as majority GenX, post 30, we grew up with Shaggy and Scooby. They're pretty cool.

By far, though, my favorite bugs have been the Superfriends. Aquaman, Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are having a great time racing from the four corners. Add to that the same cultural history that Shaggy and Scooby have and other people seem to have really gotten in to the act.

Cute, photogenic characters are OK - but I think existing storylines (not like Geoffrey and Illuvian) help the bug to travel and have fun. And of course, the more pictures the bug has, the better.

Markwell

Chicago Geocachers

Maxwell,

Thanks for your reply. You are certainly one of the people around here whose opinion I respect. Add to that your experience with Travelbugs, and you're a wealth of useful information.

The point you mention about the pre-existing character being important to helping the bug is something I hadn't thought of, but coincidently, the TravelBug idea I had fits along those lines.

What is it about Illuvian that disappoints you? I expect folks simply don't drop him off in the older caches, as you'd asked... or maybe there are other things.

Have other folks had successes/failures with TravelBugs they'd like to mention?

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

What do ya'll like about different travel bugs?

One thing I considered is that a cute bug is more likely to be stolen; is this true?

Personally, I enjoy seeing travel bugs that have specific goals. It makes it fun to see how long it takes to meet the goals. If a bug just wants to "visit lots of caches"...there's never a point that you can say, "Cool, it met it's goal!"

I also like to see funny or creative things used as travel bugs. I've seen or heard of a few cases where someone just sends out the serialized tag, with nothing attached...and I fail to see what's fun about that. (But then, that's what makes the world go around...we all enjoy different things. icon_wink.gif)

I imagine you're right, though...if a travel bug is TOO cute, it's probably more likely to get stolen. (I haven't done any research to prove this, but it seems logical, anyway.)

Of my own travel bugs, my favorites are Eensy Weensy Spider and "Hey, Vern!" (for fun goals), and Big Al (for 'cuteness' factor). icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Z:

What do ya'll like about different travel bugs?

Personally, I enjoy seeing travel bugs that have specific goals. It makes it fun to see how long it takes to meet the goals. If a bug just wants to "visit lots of caches"...there's never a point that you can say, "Cool, it met it's goal!"

I also like to see funny or creative things used as travel bugs. I've seen or heard of a few cases where someone just sends out the serialized tag, with nothing attached...and I fail to see what's fun about that. (But then, that's what makes the world go around...we all enjoy different things. icon_wink.gif)

I imagine you're right, though...if a travel bug is TOO cute, it's probably more likely to get stolen. (I haven't done any research to prove this, but it seems logical, anyway.)

Of my own travel bugs, my favorites are Eensy Weensy Spider and "Hey, Vern!" (for fun goals), and Big Al (for 'cuteness' factor). icon_smile.gif

-------

"I may be slow, but at least I'm sweet!" 196939_800.jpg

Those are my two primary questions.

1. Will it fit? Most caches I find are nearly full; so I wanted something that would fit in almost any cache (even a micro.)

2. Will it endure? Many caches I find are not dry inside, and just packing a travel bug from one cache to another subjects it to a certain amount of wear & tear. A travel bug that starts out as a cute, cuddly stuffed animal can easily become a deformed, musty, mildewed, germ-laden, stinking ball of matted fur in a short time. I'm not saying don't use them; just realize the "cuteness" can be very fleeting.

All of my travel bugs thus far are identical and have the same mission, but I know their stories will be quite varied, once told. They are small enough to fit in a microcache (released two that way), and they pack flat for easy transport. If some go m.i.a., as is likely, I won't sulk. I'll just release some more and hope they fare better.

Worldtraveler