Naming your caches in the cache

grendel541

SO I was just wondering, I noticed a lot of caches have the name and GC code written on or in the cache. After the cache is excepted by the geocache.com team do you go back and write that info in your caches. Or do you find a spot, set up the page, wait for it to be excepted then write all the info in the cache and go hide it at the spot you picked out? I know for myself I don't even know what I'm going to call it till later when I'm posting the new hide. I write down as much stuff about the area as possible then use that info for the description and the name and even the hint. Some of the cachers in my area will write the name on my log sheet for me. I hope I'm not breaking any unwritten code by not putting the name of the cache in the actual cache. Any advice would be appreciated.

SO I was just wondering, I noticed a lot of caches have the name and GC code written on or in the cache. After the cache is excepted by the geocache.com team do you go back and write that info in your caches. Or do you find a spot, set up the page, wait for it to be excepted then write all the info in the cache and go hide it at the spot you picked out? I know for myself I don't even know what I'm going to call it till later when I'm posting the new hide. I write down as much stuff about the area as possible then use that info for the description and the name and even the hint. Some of the cachers in my area will write the name on my log sheet for me. I hope I'm not breaking any unwritten code by not putting the name of the cache in the actual cache. Any advice would be appreciated.

You're not breaking any unwritten codes, although it can be helpful to include the cache name and waypoint number in case any confusion arises over your cache - for example, if it's found by a muggle or by security (government or otherwise).

I usually start my cache page before I actually hide the container, so at the very least I know the GC code by the time I'm prepping the logbook. The GC code is assigned once the cache page has been saved to the Groundspeak servers - you don't have to actually submit for publication to get this. Just submit the page but *without* the box checked that says the cache is in place and ready to go. Even if you don't know the cache name until later, the waypoint number can be helpful to include.

... The GC code is assigned once the cache page has been saved to the Groundspeak servers - you don't have to actually submit for publication to get this. Just submit the page but *without* the box checked that says the cache is in place and ready to go. Even if you don't know the cache name until later, the waypoint number can be helpful to include.

^^^ That's so useful to understand... and so many newer geocachers who are hiding their first cache don't realise it. ;)

By un-checking the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..." you can click the "Report New Listing" button at the bottom of the page as often as you want to review your cache page and edit it but it won't go through to the reviewer for review.

Once you're happy with it and your cache is in place, ready to be found then you can check the little box and then when you submit the cache listing it will go through to the review queue.

MrsB

... The GC code is assigned once the cache page has been saved to the Groundspeak servers - you don't have to actually submit for publication to get this. Just submit the page but *without* the box checked that says the cache is in place and ready to go. Even if you don't know the cache name until later, the waypoint number can be helpful to include.

^^^ That's so useful to understand... and so many newer geocachers who are hiding their first cache don't realise it. ;)

By un-checking the little box which says "Yes, this listing is active..." you can click the "Report New Listing" button at the bottom of the page as often as you want to review your cache page and edit it but it won't go through to the reviewer for review.

Once you're happy with it and your cache is in place, ready to be found then you can check the little box and then when you submit the cache listing it will go through to the review queue.

MrsB

I agree. It actually might be useful if the cache submission page would default to that box being unchecked. I don't think I have ever submitted a cache for publication on the first draft. I always uncheck that box until I'm satisfied with the page look.

MrsB

I agree. It actually might be useful if the cache submission page would default to that box being unchecked. I don't think I have ever submitted a cache for publication on the first draft. I always uncheck that box until I'm satisfied with the page look.

Ditto. Sometimes I might have a general area picked out where I want to place the cache and can enter ballpark coordinates in order to obtain the GC code. Then I work on the listing until I'm happy with it then go hide the container and get as accurate as coordinates as possible. When I get back home I update the coordinates, check the and set them when I check the "this cache is active" box, and submit it for review.

The full text for that box is "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)". That's pretty self explanatory and I would probably prefer that it was unchecked by default, I'm guessing that if the default behavior was to leave it unchecked that there would be a lot more "how long will it be before my cache is published" posts on the forums.

MrsB

Ditto. Sometimes I might have a general area picked out where I want to place the cache and can enter ballpark coordinates in order to obtain the GC code. Then I work on the listing until I'm happy with it then go hide the container and get as accurate as coordinates as possible. When I get back home I update the coordinates, check the and set them when I check the "this cache is active" box, and submit it for review.

Ditto and double dittos!

The full text for that box is "Yes, this listing is active (For new listings, if you want to work on this listing before it is reviewed, uncheck this box. Reviewers will only see the listing in the queue when it is checked.)". That's pretty self explanatory and I would probably prefer that it was unchecked by default, I'm guessing that if the default behavior was to leave it unchecked that there would be a lot more "how long will it be before my cache is published" posts on the forums.

Well... yes... sort of. But I think "this listing is active" is not quite clear to new cachers.

They look at it and think, "What's that? No, it's not active. How can it be active? It's not even listed yet... What do they mean?"

If it said "My cache container is in place ready to be found. I am happy that my cache page details and co-ordinates are correct. I wish to submit my cache to review for publication" I think that would make it a lot clearer, especially if it was somewhere right at the end of the form.

Anyone interested in this idea may like to put their comments here:

"Don't default "this cache is active" to yes on new submissions."

MrsB

Is there a timeframe on how long you can have a listing before it is deleted? I've begun working on my first hide, and created the listing, but don't intend to actually place it for at least a little while.

No. They don't get deleted -or archived.

Reviewers can see them for proximity issues when reviewing other caches to be published.

IF yours is close to a cache to be published and causes problems the reviewer may contact you and ask 'When do you plan to submit this cache?'

*The older cache number seems to get priority, but not necessarily every time!