iPhone friendly BM site?

DukeOfURL01

Planet Eldorado is an excellent place to view datasheets--you can choose from the NGS site or Geocaching.

I haven't found a good map application that likes my BlackBerry, and I am actually holding off on a new phone until I can hopefully find something that works with either iPhone or Android phones. I tried Google Earth and Foxtrots excellent kml add-in, but I don't think GE mobile will access an offline file through Javascript, which is how Foxtrot's app works. I tried it on an iPad and it doesn't blow up or anything,it just doesn't show any benchmarks. So I generally use my GPSr with the Planet Eldorado site. To be honest, I still prefer paper datasheets though. They are easier to read and I can make notations on them.

Planet Eldorado is an excellent place to view datasheets--you can choose from the NGS site or Geocaching.

Thanks for the plug for my web page. I’m glad you like it.

Not to hijack this thread but if anybody has additional links to add to the page or suggestions on how to make it better email me via my profile.

Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion

Edited by 68-eldo

I'm glad people are enjoying the mobile viewer. I coded it up while trying to work towards an actual app for a phone. At the time, about a year ago, there weren't really any simulators or other ways to test how apps or web sites work on phones. I haven't really gone back to change it in a long time. I'm pretty sure I can't make it automatically know your current location, it has to ask permission. If anyone has any requests, or sees things that don't look quite right, shoot me an email, or post in the forums and I'll see if I have time, or if there is anything I can do.

I'm glad people are enjoying the mobile viewer. I coded it up while trying to work towards an actual app for a phone. At the time, about a year ago, there weren't really any simulators or other ways to test how apps or web sites work on phones. I haven't really gone back to change it in a long time. I'm pretty sure I can't make it automatically know your current location, it has to ask permission. If anyone has any requests, or sees things that don't look quite right, shoot me an email, or post in the forums and I'll see if I have time, or if there is anything I can do.

Using a 3G iPad in the field, even with good cellular service, it is difficult to click on a marker without the selection screen closing immediately. The mapping works fine, sometimes there is a delay depending on resolution, then the markers appear. Sometimes it takes a tap, sometimes a double tap to open the screen that identifies the monument and gives you the option of what associated content you wish to view. At home on Wi Fi there are no issues whatsoever. Excellent product!!!!!!!!

It is alright that it asks permission to know my current location, that way I know what is going on.

I tend to use it at home instead of the other one, because it is full-screen, and I was thinking, is there any way that you can make it detect a home browser such as firefox, and make the zoom in/out buttons bigger, at home only (that size is great on the iPhone)? Also, maybe make them respond to the mouse scoll wheel?

thanks

I have changed my mind about what I suggested. The +/- buttons are too small all the time, even on the iPhone. If you made them slightly bigger, you wouldn't need to browser sniff. But do for sure make the site respond to the mouse scroll wheel.

Also, there needs to be a manual refresh button, because about 50% of the time it doesn't refresh the marks when you move the map.

Thanks

I added a refresh button, updated a little bit of the code, and also enabled scroll wheel zoom. I am having a devil of a time trying to increase the size of the zoom buttons, not sure if I will bother to look much more into that, the scroll wheel zoom is so nice. Enjoy.

Awesome. Thank you so much.

I use the Geocaching Geoshpere app on my iPod Touch. My first step is to get the data sheets and run them through NGS-GPX. I drop the gpx file into GSAK and do any edits such as filtering out the ones I don't want or entering corrected coordinates. From that I use GSAK to make a new gpx file and send it to myself via gmail. In Geosphere, I pick up the file from my gmail and put it in my benchmarks group. I can then view the data sheets paperless. When I have web access, I can also view them on a map. If I had an iPhone instead of an iPod I could view the map a long as I was within cell coverage. It's a great app; I also use it for geocaching and Waymarking.

I was thinking, on the scaredycat mobile, it would be very useful for me, to be eble to get my bearings in a place I am new to, if a little arrow showing my position on the map were to drop as well. Sometimes when it opens, it's so zoomed out that it's difficult to know where I am, and it requires knowledge of the street layout of the place I am, but if I'm in an unknown area, or out in the middle of the woods and there are no streets, it would be very helpful if an arrow showed my position.

thanks

My input may not be worth a lot since I just got my first personal smartphone last week, but here goes. I've got Scardeycat's mobile site bookmarked and it's working well on my Motorola Bravo. I'm also using GeoBeagle with the .gpx files from AZcachemeister's dvds. The datasheets are a bit hard to read on GeoBeagle, but they're not too bad.