Survival Kit Essentials

Laabstract

Hey guys I am in the military and part of my job is go to into pretty wild places so I developed a worst case scenario kit, where if need be I can sustain my life in case of a emergency. Here are a couple key ingredients to building a successful survival kit. Remember your kit is going to be custom tailored for what area you are going to be moving around in, IE desert, forest, mountains, snow.

The survival kit must be able to support the basic human needs such as food water, shelter and warmth while still maintaining a size that can easily be carried on your person.

Here is a list of what I carry in my kits.

1 Columbia River Knife and Tool Survival Knife ($20.00 value)

1 Stream Light Nano flashlight

1 Wet Fire Tinder

1 Fire Steel Rod

1 Fire Steel Striker

4 Water Proof Matches

1 Button Compass

2 Water Filtration Tablets (good for 2 liters of water)

4 Waterproof matches

2 fishing hooks (for multiple lines)

2 Slip weights

1 Floater

1 Survival Tin

24 Inches of Snare Line

24 inches of Fishing Line

24 Inches of Military Issue 550 Cord (550 pound strength test)

The items in the kit are some of the most cutting edge in survival technology not to mention just plain fun to show off to your friends and family. I hope this will inspire you to make your own survival kit, or purchase a premade kit.

The Supreme Survival Kit

Edited by Laabstract

I carry around a survival kit with me everywhere. I'm in the Army and just use an old grenade pouch that fits nicely on my belt, which happens to be made out of about 60 foot of 550 cord. A suggestion would be to ditch the matches and put one of those small bic lighters (flint and steel ignited, not piezo) in instead. It's about the same size as a few matches, and nano-bics are reliable for over a hundred fires. Also, I keep a large square of aluminum foil as a container for boiling water, a small pea-less whistle, an e-blanket, (not really for warmth, but as a lightweight shelter) and a force-flex trashbag (can also be used as a shelter or a poncho). Other than that, what you're describing would be a great altoids tin size kit that covers most of the essentials.

I have a rather bulky survival knife with most of that stuff. It has the usual pocket knife, fish scaler, bottle and can opener. Attached to it is a whistle, unoculars, button compass flashlight that runes on a light bulb and 2 AAA and a small drawer. In the drawer is fishing hooks, line, weights and a small fork. I also added about 4 matches and a strike pad. All in a 4" x 1" x 1.5" package. Had it for almost 20 years. got it as a birthday present i think. Only thing missing is a simple first aid kit, e-blanket, and a good length of cord.

I'll try to remember to post a picture of it when i get home tomorrow.

1 Wet Fire Tinder

1 Fire Steel Rod

1 Fire Steel Striker

4 Water Proof Matches

1 Button Compass

4 Waterproof matches

2 Slip weights

1 Floater

1 Survival Tin

24 Inches of Snare Line

Your list is very similar to the kit that I bring with us on every hike.

We basically carry what you have plus a whistle, signal mirror, space blanket, 2 lighters, and a tube tent. Maybe we are over-prepared and the entire kit weighs about 2 pounds but I feel better having it with us.

Edited by GrnXnham

1 Wet Fire Tinder

1 Fire Steel Rod

1 Fire Steel Striker

4 Water Proof Matches

1 Button Compass

4 Waterproof matches

2 Slip weights

1 Floater

1 Survival Tin

24 Inches of Snare Line

We basically carry what you have plus a whistle, signal mirror, space blanket, 2 lighters, and a tube tent. Maybe we are over-prepared and the entire kit weighs about 2 pounds but I feel better having it with us.

Survival gear is good to have.

But if you have never broken it out of your pack and actually used it it is useless!!

Have you ever tried to fish??? What would you use for bait? would the fish actually bite the bait?

Have you ever tried to start a fire under less than ideal conditions with your fire starting stuff??

If you haven't proven to yourself that you are proficient with starting a fire with these items they may FAIL you.

But if you have never broken it out of your pack and actually used it it is useless!!

Have you ever tried to fish??? What would you use for bait? would the fish actually bite the bait?

Have you ever tried to start a fire under less than ideal conditions with your fire starting stuff??

If you haven't proven to yourself that you are proficient with starting a fire with these items they may FAIL you.

Good points. All gear should be tested when you aren't in a survival situation.

Being a Boy Scout in AK taught me how to build a fire in a rainstorm. This is NOT easy and takes a lot of practice. I would guess that most people are not capable of building a fire out of anything but bone-dry wood and lighter fluid. Fire building is something you can practice in your own back yard.

As for the fishing, I remember many years ago I was out in the middle of nowhere in AK. We were backpacking and had camped at a very remote lake. I thought I would "test" my survival gear fishing equipment. I found a long stick and tied my hook and line on and threw it in the water. Using no bait at all I was pulling a trout in every few minutes. That was the only time I ever tested my survival kit fishing gear. So I can eat like a king with this stuff! :)

Actually I know that there is probably about a 95% chance the fishing gear would be useless in most survival situations, however, the tiny amount of fishing gear that I have weighs next to nothing and takes up almost no room in the pack. Also, the fishing line could be used for other things besides fishing.

Good points. All gear should be tested when you aren't in a survival situation.

Being a Boy Scout in AK taught me how to build a fire in a rainstorm. This is NOT easy and takes a lot of practice. I would guess that most people are not capable of building a fire out of anything but bone-dry wood and lighter fluid. Fire building is something you can practice in your own back yard.

As for the fishing, I remember many years ago I was out in the middle of nowhere in AK. We were backpacking and had camped at a very remote lake. I thought I would "test" my survival gear fishing equipment. I found a long stick and tied my hook and line on and threw it in the water. Using no bait at all I was pulling a trout in every few minutes. That was the only time I ever tested my survival kit fishing gear. So I can eat like a king with this stuff! :)

Actually I know that there is probably about a 95% chance the fishing gear would be useless in most survival situations, however, the tiny amount of fishing gear that I have weighs next to nothing and takes up almost no room in the pack. Also, the fishing line could be used for other things besides fishing.

I learned how to light fires many different ways through boy scouts, cadets and my grandfather. The one thing I noticed recently is, if you don't use it, you'll lose some of it.

It is funny, if you don't need to fish, they will bit like crazy. If you are in a jam, good luck getting a bit.

There is no such thing as being over prepaired, I carry more than whats in my kits on a hike. I designed my kit to be used as a last ditch worst of the worst scenario IE I lost my pack with all my fancy lighter and large knives and such. Or I was just planning to go on a sunday afternoon hike that turned for the worst. It is designed to be a backup for your traditional hiking gear.

I have two packs. One for urban caches, as there aren't many mountains in St Louis. The second is an actual backpack for a survival situation.

Urban pack/Get home pack- 5.11 Shoulder Bag (like a Maxpedition) contains -

2 emergency blankets

1 Leatherman multi tool

1 pocket knife

2 flashlights, one is a button light

1 small compass

50 feet of 550 cord (plus the eight feet in my boots as laces)

2 caribeaners

1 small compass

50 dollars cash in assorted bills

1 small roll of duct tape

Assorted pens, marker, pencil, and paper

1 large bottle of water and 2 purification pills

Small first aid kit

1 Glock 23 with 27 rounds of Winchester Ranger in .40 S&W

In my backpack/bug out bag-

Camelback is usually dry unless I know where I'm going

2 bottles of water with 10 water purification tablets

1 small bottle of potassium iodine (enough for my family)

4 emergency blankets and 4 emergency sleeping bags (foil type)

8 AA batteries

100 feet of 550 cord

Small first aid kit

200.00 in assorted bills

4 locking beaners

2 large flashlights, 1 is a shake light

4 button flashlights

2 pairs of nitrile dipped gloves

Assorted plastic zip lock bags

2 packs of freeze dried food rations

1 P-38 and 1 P-51 can opener

1 large full tang survival knife

1 small pocket knife

1 multi tool

Pens pencil and paper

2 bic lighters

1 fire steel

100 rounds of .40 S&W ammunition

1 Glock 22 (the 23 stays in the other pack)

Oh and if I'm caching my Oregon 450 and my idiotPhone

Because you never know

-----------

When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Thats alot of gear. For my hikes I am only out for a day and I always let someone know when I should be back and roughly where I am going, so I take

survival bag, 1st aid kit, lighter, penknife, torch, whistle, duct tape, batteries, gps, extra top layer, waterproofs, spare food, water tablets

In addition to usual waterproofs food/drink nav stuff etc

No need to take stuff for longer time survival as the landscape doesnt require it imo

Thats alot of gear. For my hikes I am only out for a day and I always let someone know when I should be back and roughly where I am going, so I take

survival bag, 1st aid kit, lighter, penknife, torch, whistle, duct tape, batteries, gps, extra top layer, waterproofs, spare food, water tablets

No need to take stuff for longer time survival as the landscape doesnt require it imo

That all depends upon the landscape. Typical SAR will last 5-7 days looking for a lost hiker in our area. You want to last at least that long to come out alive. The contents of my daypack will allow me to survive three days in the winter with a debilitating injury and produce a fire quickly under those conditions. I can last longer than that knowing the lay of the land and what it produces for food to augment my supplies. I also have some electronics which if undamaged will allow my rescue to pinpoint my location as well as communicate with me by VHF/UHF with the distance depending upon location of repeaters.

That all depends upon the landscape. Typical SAR will last 5-7 days looking for a lost hiker in our area. You want to last at least that long to come out alive. The contents of my daypack will allow me to survive three days in the winter with a debilitating injury and produce a fire quickly under those conditions. I can last longer than that knowing the lay of the land and what it produces for food to augment my supplies. I also have some electronics which if undamaged will allow my rescue to pinpoint my location as well as communicate with me by VHF/UHF with the distance depending upon location of repeaters.

Absolutely! My gear is based around at worst a night out. SAR would be 24 hours max here, provided you havent strayed miles from where you said you would be. So the main stuff is for staying dry and keeping hydrated. The risk/weight of pack balance doesnt add up to taking any more for me, if you see what I mean.

Everyone forgot the one lightest thing you can carry, "dryer lint" this stuff works wonders to start a fire, a little steel wool mixed in with it helps too.

Another thing you may consider is a plastic magnifier the kind you see on the back window of a RV, there cheep, light and will fit were you keep your camel back water bag or topo maps. During a sunny day they will start a fire in seconds or boil water. Cheers

Edited by mcdhuibh

This list of the "Ten Essentials" is what the Boy Scouts teach. The list is pretty practical for most outdoor situations. Maybe not a battle field, but if most people would carry this stuff when they enter the wilderness and know how it use it, we'd see a decrease in outdoor injuries and deaths.

From the Boy Scout Handbook

Pocketknife

First aid kit

Extra clothing

Rain gear

Water bottle

Flashlight

Trail food

Matches and fire starters

Sun protection

Map and compass

The Ten Essential list can and should be varied depending on the season and location of your adventure. :D