What's up with the poor cache containers in the East Coast?

Mike & Jess

I noticed over the last few days (when it wasn't raining) that the cache container quality in the Sydney NS area is pretty poor. The caches are in some pretty cool areas, and if it wasn't for finding wet caches over and over, they would be amount my favorite caches. Of the ~26 caches done in the last week, I can probably count on one hand how many where not wet or damp. Most of the containers have been 35mm film canisters, kinder surprise containers (surprisingly a lot of these), a baby wipe container, and a number of other containers.

Is this low quality of cache container common in this area or others?

I have not seen a single L&L, ammo container, or anything similar. Of the caches I have done over the last week, only 2 where decent enough to put the trackables I brought with me (forgot them at the house when I found those two good caches).

I noticed over the last few days (when it wasn't raining) that the cache container quality in the Sydney NS area is pretty poor. The caches are in some pretty cool areas, and if it wasn't for finding wet caches over and over, they would be amount my favorite caches. Of the ~26 caches done in the last week, I can probably count on one hand how many where not wet or damp. Most of the containers have been 35mm film canisters, kinder surprise containers (surprisingly a lot of these), a baby wipe container, and a number of other containers.

Is this low quality of cache container common in this area or others?

I have not seen a single L&L, ammo container, or anything similar. Of the caches I have done over the last week, only 2 where decent enough to put the trackables I brought with me (forgot them at the house when I found those two good caches).

We have a supprizing amount of reg L&L, small L&L, a fair amount of 35mil film canisters and quite afew ammo boxes, many bison tubes as well those pesky Nanos. Lots of recycled containers such as peanut butter jars and other containers such as kinder supprize . Overall, most of them are in good shape and I've only came across a few that where in bad shape, either wet or broken/cracked.

Edited by GEO This

Kinda of a stupid question maybe. But if I come across a cache that is busted and has water leaking into it. Would it be ok to take its contents and place them in a zip lock bag and back into the container if possible?

Not a stupid question at all. That would be a good thing to do. In a case like that, you should also post a "Needs Maintenance" log (separately from your Found It log).

Kinda of a stupid question maybe. But if I come across a cache that is busted and has water leaking into it. Would it be ok to take its contents and place them in a zip lock bag and back into the container if possible?

Not a stupid question at all. That would be a good thing to do. In a case like that, you should also post a "Needs Maintenance" log (separately from your Found It log).

Alright great! I always keep zip locks in my hiking pack. May as well put them to good use if possible.

We have had ALLOT of rain these past few weeks.. I haven't found any caches yet here in NB however I did just join today and been doing nothing but research. But I will let you know what the quality of the caches are here. Hopefully they are decent.

Most areas I have cached in have been pretty good.

If it hadn't been for the number of caches I have done that where poor, I would have simply blown it off as being the amount of rain that has fallen.

I unfortunately didn't come very well prepared, so I didn't have much to repair the caches. When I come back out in the summer, I'll have all our stuff for geocaching, so I'll be able to do my part to bring things up a bit.

I carry a handfull of ziplock bags and carry my swag/trackables in a lock&lock.

If I am caching all day, I tend to have a couple ready made caches handy to swap out parts if I find one damaged, or low on swag.

Are the caches pretty hard to find around these parts during the winter months? I guess it would all depend on where and how they where placed. But being that your more experienced have you been able to find some during winter?

I noticed out this way, a lot of the caches are off the ground, mostly in trees, etc.

Given that the two Christmas I have been out here (this year and 2008) where both snowless, it has been pretty easy.

Back home (Sudbury Ontario) I am trying to put out a few more winter friendly caches and make sure to set the winter friendly attributes.

When placing caches, don't forget to set it as winter friendly or not.

Are the caches pretty hard to find around these parts during the winter months? I guess it would all depend on where and how they where placed. But being that your more experienced have you been able to find some during winter?

I noticed out this way, a lot of the caches are off the ground, mostly in trees, etc.

Given that the two Christmas I have been out here (this year and 2008) where both snowless, it has been pretty easy.

Back home (Sudbury Ontario) I am trying to put out a few more winter friendly caches and make sure to set the winter friendly attributes.

When placing caches, don't forget to set it as winter friendly or not.

Great thanks for the info very much appreciated

I don't know if this is a problem on the east or not, but over here on the west coast we have a problem with CO's hiding their cache wrapped inside a garbage bag. All the bags do it keep water in, and get your hand filthy dirty trying to get to the cache.

Never seen that anywhere I have been. I can see how that would not be nice.

The one thing I really like in the East Coast is that ~75% of the caches I have done are suspended off the ground (in a tree or something else). Makes winter caching much better.

Caching in our area has seen its ups and downs, several cachers are not participating and are not maintaining caches.

These should be archived but it is hard to determine who is or is not playing.

We get few cachers at events, so it is hard to pass on information like this

If you return try to visit caches of the most active cachers,, MineRP, Bean Fascache, stagunner, to name a few

If it were up to me I would archive the "BAD" cache and would not feel offended if someone did the same to one of mine.

A new year starts we should get out more often

Caches hidden in plastic bags are a bad idea,, I do not do it any more.

I prefer to make the cahce as winter freindly as possible, by hanging it in a tree is possible.

Other then that I try to get a good water proof container.

Thanks for starting this thread and I will link it to our local association's web forum.

Caching in our area has seen its ups and downs, several cachers are not participating and are not maintaining caches.

These should be archived but it is hard to determine who is or is not playing.

We get few cachers at events, so it is hard to pass on information like this

If you return try to visit caches of the most active cachers,, MineRP, Bean Fascache, stagunner, to name a few

If it were up to me I would archive the "BAD" cache and would not feel offended if someone did the same to one of mine.

A new year starts we should get out more often

Caches hidden in plastic bags are a bad idea,, I do not do it any more.

I prefer to make the cahce as winter freindly as possible, by hanging it in a tree is possible.

Other then that I try to get a good water proof container.

Thanks for starting this thread and I will link it to our local association's web forum.

We have a fair number of these caches where the CO has stopped being involved back home.

There are a few of us that unofficially adopt abandon caches around our area.

When I am out this way again in the summer, I'll have all our geocaching gear with us. My wife runs an online geocaching store, so I will have everything I need to bring repair some of the local caches.

We have a supprizing amount of reg L&L, small L&L, a fair amount of 35mil film canisters and quite afew ammo boxes, many bison tubes as well those pesky Nanos. Lots of recycled containers such as peanut butter jars and other containers such as kinder supprize . Overall, most of them are in good shape and I've only came across a few that where in bad shape, either wet or broken/cracked.

I found this cool container once, it was a recycled portable illumination device. The logbook was a bit damp but not so bad it warranted a 'Needs Maintenance' log. I did mention it in my found log though. I had fun with that one but the cache name and owner will remain mysteriously anonymous. :laughing:

Here in Calgary, I agree most containers are good quality/condition. Thinking about my own caches, there's a couple of nanos, mostly LnLs and a couple of ammo cans.

In our area (Sudbury, Ontario) we have mostly L&L containers and a fair number of ammo cans as well.

The nanos are starting to make an appearance in our area (thanks to my wife :mad:).

Hopefully I can find a good cache before I leave to place the two remaining trackables I brought with me. I have one large ready made L&L cache to place on my father in-laws property just in case.

Seems a bit quick to go poking with a stick.

Having said that ......

The runs you did were basically by two cachers who use mainly micros.

The cache info would have shown you that.

As far as wet is concerned, well what can one say.

And all on the north side ( of harbour ) as we say. And in the same general area. Seems a streach to judge all the East Coast by these.

Just put out 8, 5 S or R, 2 M, and a nano, and after having said that, would bet a dime to a dollar, one or two would require maintenance already.

All winter friendly and easy with lots of TB and Geocoins. Mind you a lot of peanut butter was sacrificed in this holy cause.

People seem quick to grab, rip or tear open, shread the baggie, jam in the pencil if included, and if lucky replace somewhat as found.

The proplem is it only takes one person to spoil a cache. I have had caches go missing in the middle of nowheres, or damaged a few days later. Still can not figure out why or how. And I do have several down for maintenance, no saint be I.

There are lots of great hikes and hides along the coast here from Louisbourg, Main A Deux, Baleine, Fourchu, and other great locations.

Spread your wings and go a bit further on the Cape.

Chances are you will still find some substandard caches, but it's the hike, the vistas and the people you come across.

If your still on the Island for a bit, drop me a email, we can get a coffee.

Having said that ......

And all on the north side ( of harbour ) as we say. And in the same general area. Seems a streach to judge all the East Coast by these.

Just put out 8, 5 S or R, 2 M, and a nano, and after having said that, would bet a dime to a dollar, one or two would require maintenance already.

All winter friendly and easy with lots of TB and Geocoins. Mind you a lot of peanut butter was sacrificed in this holy cause.

People seem quick to grab, rip or tear open, shread the baggie, jam in the pencil if included, and if lucky replace somewhat as found.

The proplem is it only takes one person to spoil a cache. I have had caches go missing in the middle of nowheres, or damaged a few days later. Still can not figure out why or how. And I do have several down for maintenance, no saint be I.

There are lots of great hikes and hides along the coast here from Louisbourg, Main A Deux, Baleine, Fourchu, and other great locations.

Chances are you will still find some substandard caches, but it's the hike, the vistas and the people you come across.

I admit I haven't been about to get out much further then in and around the in-law's house with all the rain since I have been here and with Christmas and all. I'm going to be back in the summer and plan on doing lots of caching then for sure.

Coffee would be cool. I am head to Halifax on the 3rd, then home the next day.

I am heading out for the night now. Will be back on the forum tomorrow morning.

Having said that ......

I admit I haven't been about to get out much further then in and around the in-law's house with all the rain since I have been here and with Christmas and all. I'm going to be back in the summer and plan on doing lots of caching then for sure.

Might be a good thing,, I will ask Minerp if tomorrow afternoon will be good Probably at Tims on Welton St near the DQ/old Canadian Tire

With all those hides you have, how do you find time to pull off that impressive find count?

as our very good friend miner commented upon ... "much peanut butter was sacrificed" ...

here on the mainland, peanut butter jars are a real favorite for use as a cache container. washed several hundred times in the dishwasher and suitably cammoed ... and you end up with an amazingly waterproof cache container. (that said ... i HAVE seen one that was bitten by a large toothed wild animal ... and it STILL survived)

as mentioned earlier, however ... please do not tar and feather all cache hiders with the same brush. besides, the east coast rainy season IS not just wet ... is bloody well soaking wet!!

Edited by canuck thistles

as our very good friend miner commented upon ... "much peanut butter was sacrificed" ...

here on the mainland, peanut butter jars are a real favorite for use as a cache container. washed several hundred times in the dishwasher and suitably cammoed ... and you end up with an amazingly waterproof cache container. (that said ... i HAVE seen one that was bitten by a large toothed wild animal ... and it STILL survived)

as mentioned earlier, however ... please do not tar and feather all cache hiders with the same brush. besides, the east coast rainy season IS not just wet ... is bloody well soaking wet!!

PB jars are pretty common in our area. Another really good container that has been used heavily in our area are 1 gallon olive containers (don't remember the brand). They are plastic with a good gasket. You need to wash it out many times to get that olive smell out.

As for the original post, I didn't mean to paint the entire East Coast caches as being bad. The title was meant to attract attention, which it did.

Having said that ......

Might be a good thing,, I will ask Minerp if tomorrow afternoon will be good Probably at Tims on Welton St near the DQ/old Canadian Tire

Just like a Maritimer! Giving directions by referencing something that isn't there any more. :)

Just like a Maritimer! Giving directions by referencing something that isn't there any more. :)

I was going to say something about that, but I do the same thing.

Edited by Mike & Jess

I was going to say something about that, but I do the same thing.

Oh I should have said,, we will meet at the same place we always have coffee at!!!

N46° 08.675 W60° 09.623

Perhaps some NWT's could be coerced into adding some nice dry ammo cans to the east coast cache arsenal ;) ?

We have wet caches here too and there IS a random practice of putting them in garbage bags or ziplock bags. These bags hold so much water and condensation and help to really steam or soak the poor cache. They also tear pretty quick, as soon as the first rock or sticks are placed on top. I think that this started with one caching group a long time ago and now new cachers are finding these plastic bagged caches and thinking it's the thing to do. Today we were shaking the iced condensation out of the zipper bags.

WRT wet caches - people cache in any weather (and are proud of it!). If it's pouring or snowing it can be tough to keep the cache dry. We resort to many schemes and some of them work, but it has happened that we've bailed on day of caching because of the torrential rain... to save the caches from further exposure! The problem arises if the CO is extinct or not close by. That's where you need to carry some strips of RintheR log paper to leave a new log, but for goodness sake take out the old wet mouldy one or it will contaminate the new one! We've removed the entire contents of a cache if it was thoroughly rusty, mouldy, etc. After wiping the cache out, we leave some miscellaneous bits of swag along with some new logs in the cache. Today we replaced 3 yucky logs in non-waterproof micros. I used to bring them back home and email the CO to see if they wanted the old mouldy log kept, but then common sense kicked in - would I want someone to send or give me an old mouldy log? Not likely! We throw them out and make it clear in our log that we've taken action so they can post an Owner Maintenance.

Perhaps some NWT's could be coerced into adding some nice dry ammo cans to the east coast cache arsenal ;) ?

We have wet caches here too and there IS a random practice of putting them in garbage bags or ziplock bags. These bags hold so much water and condensation and help to really steam or soak the poor cache. They also tear pretty quick, as soon as the first rock or sticks are placed on top. I think that this started with one caching group a long time ago and now new cachers are finding these plastic bagged caches and thinking it's the thing to do. Today we were shaking the iced condensation out of the zipper bags.

Looks like you're the 3rd person to mention the plastic bag thing. If we're talking about wrapping regular sized containers in plastic garbage or shopping bags, I'd have to vote it worst idea ever. Plastic bags outdoors attracts rather than repels moisture. In the warmer months, they are a perfect breeding ground for creepy, crawly insects.

There have been threads on these boards specifically about this practice. Definitely regional, and definitely done on a "monkey see, monkey do" basis. :P I'm no world traveler (and I realize this is the Canada forum), but the only place I ever saw this was in the Scranton, Pennsylvania area (about 15 times) and not anywhere else, ever.

Ziplock bags for smaller caches? That's not as bad an idea, but once they tear (and they will), it's over.