GSAK: using same databases/settings from multiple pc's

DonderVogel

A useful tip if you are yousing GSAK on several PC's:

Since a couple of weeks I'm using Dropbox to put my GSAK data on it.

This way all GSAK data (config, databases, backups) is synced automatically on all the computers I use, no additional manual actions needed.

Dropbox installs a local folder on your PC. Everything you place in this folder is uploaded automatically to Dropbox. (or if offline the next time you connect to the internet) The next time you start your other PC, all updated data is downloaded to the dropbox folder on that PC.

Here's what you need to do with GSAK (change paths depending on your setup)

Copy everything in your GSAK data folder to a subdir in your Dropbox folder.

Open GSAK and change datadirectory in GSAK to your dropbox folder:

Tools --> Options

Application data is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data

Database folder is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data\data

Automatic backup is in my case C:\Dropbox\GSAK data\Backup

I recommend to move your Dropbox folder to a non default location you secify yourselve (C:\dropbox for example) because the default location may be different depending on the OS you use (XP, Vista, Win7). This might cause problems with certain GSAK macro's if they use absolute paths. Putting your Dropbox folder in the same location on every PC solves the problem.

This can be easily done from within the Dropbox gui.

what you should know:

Verify that Dropbox has synced files before opening GSAK (takes just a few seconds)

When closing GSAK verify that Dropbox has synced files before shutting down the PC

Never use GSAK on two PC's on the same time

The free account of Dropbox gives you 2Gig of free space.

By using the Dropbox links in this post you and I get 256Mbytes extra.

Edited by DonderVogel

Does this (either with Dropbox or just using the backup) copy over all the macro settings? I once did a back up and put it from my main computer to my laptop (since I was traveling for 2 weeks), but when I ran my FindStatGen on the laptop, it didn't have the same settings, I had to do them over by hand.

When you backup/restore make sure you have check save/restore GSAK settings other wise the macro directory is not saved.

Another good idea: If you have multiple computers in the same location, like laptops/desktops at home, you really should look into getting a NAS drive (which stands for Network Attached Storage) It's basically a large capacity hard drive that connects to your router, and every computer in your home network can "see it". You can stick your GSAK database on there!

It all sounds kinda techie & I guess it sort of is lol, but it's actually very easy & simple to set up. And having a NAS in your home is handy for many more things not just Geocaching.

It you are a techie geek you can go the extra mile by setting up FTP connectivity to the NAS drive from literally anywhere in the world too.

I tried the dropbox apporach with mixed results and I am stuck on a couple of problems. I'm a pretty technical guy, a GSAK super user, and an existing dropbox user so this was really easy for me to set up, and MOST of it works. Here's my problem. I have a laptop where I've run GSAK for years and a desktop where the install will be new.

On my laptop I put my application stores (and thus the macros, etc) in my dropbox. I have my data folder also in my dropbox. Repointed GSAK to them and everything works perfectly on my laptop, including all macros. Cool, first step done.

I went to computer number two, the desktop, and installed GSAK. When you run the installer you actually get the last milestone build, 7.7.2 build 56. When I fire it up, I point it to the application store in dropbox and restart GSAK. it does indeed see me as licensed, sees all the databases, macros, and all looks good. I run the update patch to bring it up to the same rev as my laptop, and all seems to be right with the world. Some of the macros run. But here's where I get into trouble. A few of the macros don't run, and where they fail, they do not appear to be absolute path issues. (Besides, the path to my dropbox folders is idnentical on both machines.)

When I run the stats macro, for instance, I get a script error that function "macheader" is missing. Huh? That function call was added to GSAK quite some time ago and the install on my desktop is identical to my install on my working laptop. So I even tried being sneaky and copying my laptop's EXE over to my desktop and doing a "drop in", thinking maybe the update sequence of my laptop caught something that is missing in the desktop. No joy. When I run the addLogs macro I get "Error=> System variable does not exist: $_AppData". Not sure what to try next.

What I think I'll do for now is have two separate application data stores, one on the laptop and one on the desktop, so I have local copies macros, settings, etc... and then store ONLY the database folder in dropbox. This will mean having to keep macros updated separately but I can live with that. Any ideas on where I'm going wrong?

Here's a recommendation I have for other users, BTW: I have a very large data base (I travel and run lots of PQs for the area I cover) so to save dropbox space I have all the GSAK application data folders in my dropbox but I do NOT have my GSAK backup folder pointed there. In the options you point the backups separately from where the databases and application stores go, so I keep those locally.

I went to computer number two, the desktop, and installed GSAK. When you run the installer you actually get the last milestone build, 7.7.2 build 56. When I fire it up, I point it to the application store in dropbox and restart GSAK. it does indeed see me as licensed, sees all the databases, macros, and all looks good. I run the update patch to bring it up to the same rev as my laptop, and all seems to be right with the world. Some of the macros run. But here's where I get into trouble. A few of the macros don't run, and where they fail, they do not appear to be absolute path issues. (Besides, the path to my dropbox folders is idnentical on both machines.)

When I run the stats macro, for instance, I get a script error that function "macheader" is missing. Huh? That function call was added to GSAK quite some time ago and the install on my desktop is identical to my install on my working laptop. So I even tried being sneaky and copying my laptop's EXE over to my desktop and doing a "drop in", thinking maybe the update sequence of my laptop caught something that is missing in the desktop. No joy. When I run the addLogs macro I get "Error=> System variable does not exist: $_AppData". Not sure what to try next.

If you are running Windows 7 or Vista you can't just copy files in the [program files] folder (or sub folder within) as these operation systems have special "protection" and end up doing some trickery in the virtual file store. Form more information see this post

When using the whole Application in Dropbox, another good thing to do is to disable Syncing of the Temp folder. (use Selective Sync in the Dropbox options).

The same thing I do for databases (database folders) I do nog want to sync.

164201175840.png

* First make a backup of the folder you do not want to sync because Dropbox will delete it. Put the folder back after making the changes in Dropbox.

Also I recommend to not point the Backup-folder to the Dropbox folder. It is better to have a local backup-folder on every single PC then a Synced backup-folder so you have separate backup files in case something goes wrong.

Veendammer