Garmin 62s or 62st?

Z06_Pilot

hi folks,

I have my search narrowed down to the Delorme PN-60w w/SPOT or the Garmin 62st

My question regards the 62s compared to the 62st. my understanding is that the only difference is that the 62st has US topo map pre-installed. I have read that this map is unnecessary and there is no reason to pay the extra dough for the st model.

I have looked everywhere, including Garmin's site, for a side-side comparison of the 62S and ST, but can't locate anywhere.

any info. would be greatly appreciated..

Jeff

hi folks,

I have my search narrowed down to the Delorme PN-60w w/SPOT or the Garmin 62st

My question regards the 62s compared to the 62st. my understanding is that the only difference is that the 62st has US topo map pre-installed. I have read that this map is unnecessary and there is no reason to pay the extra dough for the st model.

I have looked everywhere, including Garmin's site, for a side-side comparison of the 62S and ST, but can't locate anywhere.

any info. would be greatly appreciated..

Jeff

Get the 62s.

I have the 62st. The only thing you gain, compared to the 62s, is the terrain shading -- otherwise, you can get more detailed maps for free on gpsfiledepot.com .

The terrain shading is very nice in theory, but in practice, the shaded terrain is rendered far too dark, to the point that I find it unusable in daylight.

In practice, I have been using the planimetric maps for the West on gpsfiledepot.com, and the 40ft transparent contour lines, and I have disabled the 100K Topo Garmin map.

I wish Garmin implemented terrain shading using ligther, more readable colors.

Doesn't the 62st also have more built-in factory memory than the 62s or 62 ?

I know you can always add more storage memory with memcards, but having some additonal built-in memory is something some people like.

They all have the same amount of built in memory. The 62st actually has less of it available due to the included topo map.

The comment about the memory was based on another post in the forum by another member:

QUOTE:"As a little help:

GPSmap 62, 62s, 78 and 78s contains 2GB of flash memory with 1,7GB of free space available.

GPSmap 62st and 78sc contains 4GB of flash memory with various free space wich depends on what local maps are preloaded.

On a european model, the european recreational map uses 3,4GB plus 150MB for unit software, basemap and documentations (stored on memory now). So you have about 400-500MB free space now.

You can expand the memory by using MicroSD-Cards with up to 8GB within the GPSmap 62s, 62st, 78, 78s and 78sc.

The GPSmap 62 doesn't have a MicroSD card slot available.": UNQUOTE

Seems like I have read before that the hhigher end units that come with pre-loaded maps/charts do have a greater amount of memory.

You can't believe the memory stat Garmin show on their website as it usually refers to the "Available" memory only and does not reflect total memory with a deduction for pre-loaded maps/charts.

Hello,,

I am new to geocahing--today I saw a 60CSX at Bass Pro Shop. This included the unit and some accessories (I can't remember what they are. They are selling the unit for $249. This seems like a good deal. Is it?

Thanks.

Chris

Not a good price, some of the forum members have reported finding them for as low as $199.00

Hello,,

I am new to geocahing--today I saw a 60CSX at Bass Pro Shop. This included the unit and some accessories (I can't remember what they are. They are selling the unit for $249. This seems like a good deal. Is it?

Thanks.

Chris

Not a good price, some of the forum members have reported finding them for as low as $199.00

There are better prices to be had. Today(1/5/2011) at 9:45 AM PST Amazon.com is having a Lightning Deal on the 60CSx which means it will be even less than $199.00 and with free shipping if you are a Prime Member.

Hello,,

Thanks.

Chris

I bought both units at REI and found out the following after using them for a few days

The 62st has a total of ~4 gigs of internal memory & the topo software

the 62s has a total of ~2 gigs of internal memory.

I ended up keeping the 62s, because i have all the software from my 60csx and other garmin gps's.

I also like to only load a few states on the gps and utilize the extra space for poi's and geocaches.

hope this helps.,

Cachejunkies

There are better prices to be had. Today(1/5/2011) at 9:45 AM PST Amazon.com is having a Lightning Deal on the 60CSx which means it will be even less than $199.00 and with free shipping if you are a Prime Member.

thanks folks,

actually I bought both the DeLorme PN60w w/SPOT and the 62st. I returned the 62st and bought the 62s once I realized that the included 100k topo maps with the 62st are NOT routable.

I now use the 62s and my wife uses the PN-60. the 60 does have some issues. the compass does not stay calibrated for very long at all. I never have to re-calibrate my 62s unless the batteries are replaced. also, when slecting the NEXT geocache after logging a find, the DeLorme will quite often corrupt the name of the next cache with RRRRRRRRRRRRRR. going to have to talk to the good folks at DeLorme about that one.

the geocache dashboard for the 62s is sweet. what a great idea the Garmin folks had for geocachers.

we plan on keeping both units....

thanks!