Considering a Magellan Explorist 710, have a few questions

Wyomingguy

I am looking real close at getting a Magellan Explorist 710, but I have a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me. It will be used primarily for geocaching.

1. Can you download multiple pocket queries or does one pocket query push the previous one out?

2. When you locate a cache, can you move it to a "Found" file seperate from the unfound caches?

3. Can you delete individual geocaches in the field, or do you need to hook up to a computer to delete.

4. Does the electronic compass work as well as advertised?

I could go on here as to why I am unhappy with my Garmin Colorado 400t, but I won't.

Thanks.

After my 5th day of ownership and 2nd day Caching with my 710 I'll try my best to answer, while I am VERY happy with this unit I do not claim to be an expert so I may miss something.

1. Can you download multiple pocket queries or does one pocket query push the previous one out?

- If you use VantagePoint you can download as many pocket queries as you want and then push it to the 710 as one large file, OR you can use another software to compine and then copy the .gpx file directly to the unit (it shows up as a drive). The advantage of VantagePoint is it will include any images in the descriptions right into the unit. I have heard you can place multiple separate PQ files into the unit and it will read all of them, but I have not actually tried it because I found no reason to.

2. When you locate a cache, can you move it to a "Found" file seperate from the unfound caches?

- When you mark a cache as found it changes the icon to a smiley on the map, and puts a little smile face on the icon in the cache list, so you know you already found it. When searching for caches you can tell the unit to filter out ones you have already found so I'm not sure why you would need to move it to a new file. I do not know of any GPSr on the market that allows you to move cahes between files on the unit.

3. Can you delete individual geocaches in the field, or do you need to hook up to a computer to delete.

- Yes, you can delete individual caches, or all at once.

- I have found it works great, though if you make fast turns it will take a second or 2 to catch up.

The 710 is by far the best GPSr I've owned (of 4) for geocaching, its only weak-spot is the VantagePoint software needs some polishing and can act up at times, but Magellan seems to be making regular updates and each one gets a little better then the last.

I've been using an eX610 & eX710 for a few months now, so I'll jump in here:

Yes, you can load multiple GPX files. You can allow the Vantage Point software load the GPX files or you can drag and drop them directly to the unit as a USB drive. Also, you can use GSAK to load GPX files to the unit or you can also load individual caches directly from GC.com. So, the answer is yes...

No, you can't place your "Found" caches in a different file, however, when you mark the cache as found, the unit will ask you if you want to log the find. When doing so, you're creating a Field Note file which you can upload directly to GC.com to automatically create the Field Notes on the web for you to be able to easily log the finds.

Yes

Yes, yes, yes - especially with the latest software update, which added to the stability of the unit. My caching buddy has a Garmin 62st and the he's actually thinking about buying the 710. One of the BIG pluses on the 710 is the display resolution over the 62. I like to create custom maps with MOBAC and the resolution on the Garmin does even come close!!!

Also, as a Magellan Insider/Beta Tester, I will tell you that Magellan is only begin with these units. There are several things in the works to add to the functionality of these units and to give us several more map options.

David

I also have some questions about the Magellan Explorist 710.

1. When you look at the cache detail page on the GPS, does it show the attributes?

2. Does the GPS link to your Geocaching account over the internet?

3. When you find a cache, does the GPS upload the log wirelessly, or do you have to connect it to your computer?

Thank you very much. Happy Geocaching!