being a CO of a paddle cache that you can rarely maintain?

FloridaFour

I am thinking of placing a few caches on a kayak/canoe trail. Problem is, I have to rent a kayak or canoe to get to it, ($25) and will probably only be able to get out there a few times a year. There are no caches there as of yet, and there is a $2 fee to get into the park. Would it be bad form for me to place a cache there, and ask the favor that willing cachers please do minor maintenance (new log or such) as needed? There is a public kayak launch, anyone with a kayak or canoe can use. I would replace the cache container as needed, (hopefully not that often!) but would not be able to go out there very often if the log got wet, etc. Hoping to use a very sturdy waterproof container and use write-in-rain log and pen to start with, but haven't even checked further into this since I don't want to be a bad CO.

"The cache owner will assume all responsibility of their cache listings."

"Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems."

Those were from the GC Guidelines for listing. In all honesty, I think putting your hopes for maintenance in the hands of strangers is a little lofty. Some people take really good care of each others stuff, and others don't. If placing a paddle cache is only likely to cause headache and grief for you, it would cease to be fun for you as a cache owner.

Do you like kayaking outside of caching? It might be worth it to shop around and find yourself a cheap recreational kayak for yourself. Then it would be a one-time expense for a lifetime of paddling.

Yeah, that was what I was thinking. I certainly don't want to start out as a CO with a bad reputation. I had seen some remote caches in my searches that said the CO would only visit once a year or something, but they were really remote. This is not so remote, I just don't want to spend $25 every month or week to maintain the cache, plus I don't have the time! Right now, we are not thinking of buying a kayak, but maybe in the future. It just looks like such a tempting place to put caches, as most of the other paddling caches near me often have too wavy of conditions for me to try them, and this area is usually very calm. I hope someone does put caches there soon, as I will definitely go and hunt them!

Don't place any caches that you're not willing or able to maintain. That being said, if you use a good container (ammo box, lock n lock, etc....) routine maintainence shouldn't be a monthly thing. Really, if you use a large enough log book, lots of caches don't need maintainence once a year. Just depends on how you put it together and how many visits it gets.

Is there no way to hike to these locations?

Hoping to use a very sturdy waterproof container and use write-in-rain log and pen to start with, but haven't even checked further into this since I don't want to be a bad CO.

How much time do you have to set this up? As a test, you could place a container (unlisted), come back whenever you can (weeks or months later), see how it's holding up, through weather and seasons. Think about finders -- is it easy enough to find, not subject to being lost, simple for them to put back correctly? If it's above the flood plain, sturdy and secure (probably an ammo can), more or less maintenance-free, then your "maintenance plan" is to check it once in a while.

A consideration is what you'll do when there are a few DNFs (or when someone says the container's broken). It would be a disappointment to have to archive it, and you can't expect others to fix it for you.

I also like your idea of waiting for someone else to set up a cache there. That would be much simpler! :P

Edited by kunarion

It's not just the container, it would depend on the placement too. It would have to be high enough where routine flooding doesn't pose a threat either... oh and the aligators (but I don't think there is an attribute for that).

No one expects same-hour response from a CO to come fix a cache if something goes wrong with it, that would be totally unrealistic (but awesome... "There's been reports of a Needs Maintenance log in the Sunshine State. LAUNCH THE CACHE QUICK REACTION FORCE NOW!"). You just have to be able to get to it in a timely manner to fix it. I can totally understand not wanting to drop $25 every other month to go swap out soggy logbooks.

I own a few dozen caches that are water accessible only. LOVE being on the water and like mentioned above, bought my first canoe just to go geocaching on the river. For Christmas I upgraded to kayaking. Can't wait for ice-out.

First off, like already mentioned, ONLY place caches that you can reasonably maintain. Reasonably is defined as different things for different people.

But to give you ONE piece of advice about placing caches on a river system. WithOUT a doubt, anchor your caches down. My mistakes early on have caused several of my caches to be washed away. I am sure I have several ammocans that have made it down to New Orleans from here in MN.

Echoing the mantra of others, you should not place a cache you are unable to maintain. Fortunately, this may prove a lot easier than you think. I own about a dozen kayak caches, and if they get half a dozen finds a year that's a lot. There is such a large percentage of players in this game who favor the park and grab variety, who can't be bothered with going more than 20' from their vehicles for fear of accidentally burning a calorie, that your cache should survive quite a long time without needing your help. Providing you use a suitable container. Normally I'd suggest using an ammo can, but as you mentioned waves, I'm thinking your location might involve salt water? Salt water and ammo cans often don't play well together. I've been playing with an idea, building a night cache that requires a kayak, in a salt water environment. The container I've opted on for this site will be a

5 gallon bucket with a Gamma Seal lid. Inside that, I'll place a couple pieces of brick, and on the brick will sit an ammo can. The plastic in the bucket is thick enough to withstand UV for a long time. The Gamma Seal has a gasket which will keep most moisture out. The bricks will keep the ammo can out of any standing water that creeps in.

There are far too many urban lamppost hides and far too few Kayak caches in islands in the stream, for potential hiders to be discouraged.

We say go for it. The outdoors type cachers are more likely to carry cache maintenance stuff with them and more reliable in helping each other out than the park and grabers in high heels. You will get the help you need if you ask for it. We need more hiders like you.

We placed a series of caches on a river and they don't get visited often, and other cachers help us maintain them. If you place more than just one, it will make the trip a more rewarding destination for cachers to go to the trouble of renting the Kayaks or canoes.

f28bae40-8ad5-4459-8bd5-e63554b65c93.jpg

If you are interested in caches in this park but are unsure about ability to maintain, you could try to find other local caching enthusiasts and form a group. There could be group members with canoes and kayaks and instead of one cache there is the possibility of many caches and it becoming a destination and goal for folks from all over. You could also borrow their boats maybe after you get to know them more.

This would require a bit more planning, but in the long run would result in a better experience for all.

Keep your eye on Craigslist for a used kayak/canoe cheap. If you can pay a hundred bucks for a canoe you will have repaid the expense in four visits, also when you own your own visits may be easier seeing as you won't need to fork over the $25 each time.

Edited by Cliff's Notes

If you are interested in caches in this park but are unsure about ability to maintain, you could try to find other local caching enthusiasts and form a group. There could be group members with canoes and kayaks and instead of one cache there is the possibility of many caches and it becoming a destination and goal for folks from all over. You could also borrow their boats maybe after you get to know them more.

This would require a bit more planning, but in the long run would result in a better experience for all.

Keep your eye on Craigslist for a used kayak/canoe cheap. If you can pay a hundred bucks for a canoe you will have repaid the expense in four visits, also when you own your own visits may be easier seeing as you won't need to fork over the $25 each time.

True, but you'd also be stuck with a $100 canoe. I'm not saying that you need to spend thousands of dollars for a canoe or kayak, but as is the case with most things you get what you pay for. When considering buying a canoe/kayak I'd recommend renting or borrowing as many different styles/models as you can so you have a good idea of the kind of boat you'll like. I bought an inexpensive recreational kayak about 13 years ago thinking it be perfect for the inlet and local lake nearby. A couple of weeks later I took a sea kayaking class and had the opportunity to try several "real" touring kayaks. I was on the market for a new kayak a week later and found a fiberglass touring kayak that I bought 12 years ago for $1100 that was 9 years old when I bought it. Other than a few (okay, a lot) of scratches it still paddles as nice as a new one. I'd definitely recommend the used market for a first kayak/canoe provided that you do a bit of research first to make sure you're getting the boat that's right for you instead of what the sales droid at the mall sports store outlet tries to sell you. Visit a shop that's devoted to kayak/canoes and you'll get recommendations from someone that not only sells kayaks/canoes but is likely an avid paddler as well. Oh, and save some money out of your budget for a decent paddle, PFD, and lessons.

Some day I'd like to head down to Florida again for some sea kayaking (I've done it three times before I started geocaching) and go after a bunch of paddle caches. All of the paddle caches I've done so far are on my favorites list.

I live near a summer resort lake. I know there are at least two if not more caches on this lake now that the cache owner does not live in this area. It appears a couple owners live out of state. I have also seen at least two caches over the past couple years be archived because they aren't maintained due to the cache owner planting the cache and not coming back to maintain it. I just sit back and wait for them to be archived because the cache owner will just archive it instead of taking care of it or removing it. One owner hasn't signed into geocaching.com since June and two of his caches are reported to be in poor condition so it will only be a matter of time before it is archived and left at the lake`.

The problem is that if I want to seek the cache and have to rent a canoe or boat to find it I don't want to have a dnf because you aren't maintaining the cache or the log is wet, etc. My personal opinion is that if you don't live in the area or you don't visit the area on a regular basis (more than 3 times a year for boating) year round, don't place the cache.

Edited by LadeBear68

Best way to find out is to contact your local reviewer, pitch your plan (including preventative steps you'll be taking to preclude leaking or vanishing caches and how often you estimate being able to get out to maintain 'em), and see what they say.

There is absolutely no reason, requirement or suggestion on the Geocaching web site that I know of that when placing a cache you should have to "pitch your plan" to the local reviewer as described in the quoted post.
There is absolutely no reason, requirement or suggestion on the Geocaching web site that I know of that when placing a cache you should have to "pitch your plan" to the local reviewer as described in the quoted post.

I'll gently disagree. When a cache is outside of your normal radius, there is guidance to communicate with your reviewer. This is from the cache placement guidelines:

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan.

Plus, it just makes good sense. The reviewers are on our side - the more information we give them, the quicker they can successfully publish. I generally give my local reviewer a lot more information than the guidelines *require* me to, especially if it's an unusual situation - it doesn't hurt and can only help smooth the process.

Is there a local cacher with whom you can "co-own" the cache? Maybe there is someone who doesn't want to - or can't - be responsible for all of the maintenance on the cache, but who does live locally and own a watercraft. Or someone who just never thought to put a cache out there, but would love to do it once the idea was brought up to him.

Best way to find out is to contact your local reviewer, pitch your plan (including preventative steps you'll be taking to preclude leaking or vanishing caches and how often you estimate being able to get out to maintain 'em), and see what they say.

Did I say there was such a reason, requirement or suggestion on the site? (Hint: No, I did not.) The original poster wants to put out a series of caches and is obviously concerned that their maintenance plan may not be adequate. I recommended they contact their local reviewer to find out what the reviewer says.

Back to the original question: As far as it being bad form, not necessarily. Look at all of the deployment caches in Iraq and Afghanistan, they almost all say the same thing: next finder, please help maintain. Granted, this is pretty much the deployment exception, as (hopefully) most deployed cache hiders will not be in the AOR for over a year, and even if they redeploy, they may not be able to return to the cache location. But it is precedent, however limited.

Edited by hzoi

It seems to me that if you are going to place a boat-required cache you should really own your own boat so that accessing the cache is not a problem for you. Most - if not all - of caches of that nature I've seen in Florida are by cachers who have their own.

If you don't have your own boat, how are you going to do maintenance if the outfitter closes permanently/temporarily/seasonally?

Not in the guidelines exactly - just my 2 cents.

It seems to me that if you are going to place a boat-required cache you should really own your own boat so that accessing the cache is not a problem for you. Most - if not all - of caches of that nature I've seen in Florida are by cachers who have their own.

If you don't have your own boat, how are you going to do maintenance if the outfitter closes permanently/temporarily/seasonally?

Not in the guidelines exactly - just my 2 cents.

That's probably not real likely. Looking at the OPs profile it looks like they're in the Tampa/St. Petersburg area. There's a kayak shop near there called Sweetwater Kayaks that's been in business for a long time. They run a sea kayaking symposium every year and I rented a boat from them when I attended it several years ago. One of the co-owners is a guy named Nigel Foster, one of the most accomplished sea kayakers in the world and the author of several books. I took a surf kayaking class from Nigel when I was there and have met him at another symposium as well. I'm sure that there are probably quite a few other outfitters in the area as well and there's plenty of water and small islands around where paddle caches could be placed.

Did I say there was such a reason, requirement or suggestion on the site? (Hint: No, I did not.) The original poster wants to put out a series of caches and is obviously concerned that their maintenance plan may not be adequate. I recommended they contact their local reviewer to find out what the reviewer says.

Back to the original question: As far as it being bad form, not necessarily. Look at all of the deployment caches in Iraq and Afghanistan, they almost all say the same thing: next finder, please help maintain. Granted, this is pretty much the deployment exception, as (hopefully) most deployed cache hiders will not be in the AOR for over a year, and even if they redeploy, they may not be able to return to the cache location. But it is precedent, however limited.

No you did not say there is any reason, requirement or suggestion on the site and I did not say you did. You described a "best way" and I said what you described was not a requirement. We are arguing semantics here.

To the OP: If there are questions on placing a cache, asking for advice is a good idea. The response you get is not guaranteed to be correct, to please anyone or to even apply to your question.

Edited by JohnX

But it is precedent, however limited.

Careful, there are no precedents in geocaching, limited or otherwise. The guidelines clearly state right at the start;

"First and foremost please be advised there is no precedent for placing caches. This means that the past listing of a similar cache in and of itself is not a valid justification for the listing of a new cache. If a cache has been published and violates any guidelines listed below, you are encouraged to report it. However, if the cache was placed prior to the date when a guideline was issued or updated the cache is likely to be "grandfathered" and allowed to stand as is."

As to the OP, the guidelines state;

"As the cache owner, you are also responsible for physically checking your cache periodically, and especially when someone reports a problem with the cache (missing, damaged, wet, etc.). You may temporarily disable your cache to let others know not to hunt for it until you have a chance to fix the problem. This feature is to allow you a reasonable time – normally a few weeks – in which to arrange a visit to your cache. In the event that a cache is not being properly maintained, or has been temporarily disabled for an extended period of time, we may archive the listing.

It may be difficult to fulfill your maintenance obligations if you place a cache while traveling on vacation or otherwise outside of your normal caching area. These caches may not be published unless you are able to demonstrate an acceptable maintenance plan. It is not uncommon for caches to go missing, areas to be cleared, trails to be blocked or closed, objects used for multi-cache or puzzles to be moved or removed, etc. Your maintenance plan must allow for a quick response to reported problems."

So, yes, you need to talk with the reviewer in your area. In our area, if a cache sits more than 30 days disabled, there is a good chance the reviewer will start to ask questions and may archive it, however things will be different in different areas. If you do a search of the forums, there have been a few discussions on how long is too long for a cache to be disabled.

I will say that regardless of what the reviewer says, you will get a fast reputation with the locals if you have a cache or caches that sit for prolonged times in disrepair, missing or disabled and it will be the type of reputation that is not wanted so factor that into your decision.

Edited by baloo&bd

Wow, I had no idea I had continued to get so many nice and helpful replies to my question. I had kind of given up on the idea of placing a cache there. I finally have found some more time to think about doing some caches, and have decided FIRST thing I need to do is go kayaking out in the area I am looking at and decide if there is even a good place to put a cache. (and see if they will allow me to put a few there) If I find an easy place to get to, and really enjoy it, I wouldn't mind going myself 3 or 4 times a year. (maybe more, it is only about 12 miles or so away from me). This is in Upper Tampa Bay Park, (Mobbly Bay) if anyone wants to know. It is a saltwater inlet that has a lot of small islets in it, I dont know if any of them even have "beaches", they are mostly mangrove islands. There are several caches in the park, but not in the islets. I also need to find out more about the tides. I have not kayaked there before and have little kayaking/canoing experience actually. Alligators may be an issue, but I am not sure how much, since it is a saltwater area, but they have been known to be seen in saltwater. I would be personally more worried about mosquitoes and SNAKES. LOL!

Clan Riffster, I like your idea of the plastic bucket with bricks and an ammo can in it! Many of the kayak/canoe caches I have seen listed have small containers hanging from trees so you don't even have to leave the kayak. But if I find a place with a small landing area, that idea might work!

Trader Rick, hopefully I will get a chance to talk with you personally this weekend about caches at your event! Let's hope for good weather!

I would love to own a non-tipping kayak that would fit 2 people, and lightweight plastic type material. I have to convince the husband to store it in the garage and put a rack on the car, though. :) We had an opportunity last summer to get a FREE 2 person kayak (although a very heavy one) and my husband turned it down at first, by the time he realised his mistake, his friend had already given it away!

Edited by FloridaFour

I would love to own a non-tipping kayak that would fit 2 people, and lightweight plastic type material. I have to convince the husband to store it in the garage and put a rack on the car, though. :) We had an opportunity last summer to get a FREE 2 person kayak (although a very heavy one) and my husband turned it down at first, by the time he realised his mistake, his friend had already given it away!

There's no such thing as a non-tipping kayak, nor is a kayak that can tip over something to be afraid of. In fact, a kayak with high initial stability actually impedes ones ability to learn more advanced kayaking skills. Learning how to paddle a kayak "on edge" (i.e. partially tipped to one side) will improve your ability to maneuver the boat, especially when you get into rough conditions. In the process of learning how to paddle a kayak "on edge" you're going to tip over (if you don't you're not trying hard enough). Instead of avoiding a capsize by trying to find a kayak that won't tip over, you're much better off learning what to do when (not if) you inadvertently capsize, and it's a good idea to practice capsize/re-entry skills under controlled conditions so that the first time you *do* capsize unintentionally, you'll know what to do.

When placing a geocache only accessible by boat it's important to understand that those seeking it will be adding a level of risk not typically found with most cache placements. Unfortunately, a lot of people that get into small paddlecraft are ignorant of the risks their taking. Although the area you're talking about appears to be fairly well protected weather conditions can change in a hurry and an inexperienced paddle can easily find themselves in conditions they're not able to handle. If you do place a paddle cache or two, keep them on islands which require short paddles.

Thanks, the reason I would like a kayak that is very stable is because I will often have one of my kids with me, aged 6 and 8. We tried a regular "sit inside" kayak this summer and they were both pretty scared of it. We won't be going on any swift-moving rivers, although conditions could get rough quickly out in the Gulf if we try that. What you're saying makes sense, though, something to think about. I guess we should take a class or something and learn how to capsize "properly". :)

And I would definitely make a paddle course close to shore and not too long. Also to make it easier on myself to do maintenance! I do know someone who went canoing once and unfortunately ended up in a horrible rain storm with lightening and swift currents out of nowhere, and they were traumatized for a long time. It definitely can happen. One nice thing in this park is anyone renting a canoe or kayak is required to bring a cell phone with them.

I would love to own a non-tipping kayak that would fit 2 people

Two issues:

The tippyness of kayaks is largely dependent upon the make/model/type. I only have two boats, but they have a very different tippyness rating. My Drifter, made by Ocean Kayak, is a short, clunky boat. It is aptly named, in that even the slightest breeze can spin it in directions you don't want to go. It is absolutely horrible on open water, but because it turns so easily, it makes a great river boat. It has another advantage in that it is dang near impossible to flip. I took it out on Mosquito Lagoon for my first paddle, and tried flipping it. I could lean it over so far that I fell off, but I could not flip it. The only time I successfully flipped it was paddling sideways in 6' surf. It's a rock stable boat. My other kayak is a Prowler Trident 15, also made by Ocean Kayak. This boat, being much narrower, has dunked me when I tried playing limbo under a fallen tree. I leaned too far off center, and "splash". But the boat didn't end up inverted. The one advantage to this boat is that it tracks like an arrow, making it great for open water, but terrible for winding rivers. Both of these boats are what are known as sit on tops, which are much more stable feeling than sit in sides.

In my paddling circles, two person boats are referred to as "Divorce Boats" :lol:

An age old axiom: Sleep tandem, paddle solo. ;)

We have a lot of water caches around here, and even though WA state is full of people who are into the outdoors, they just don't get hit that often. Caches that don't get hit that often are lower maintenance as long as they are done well.

Pay the extra money and get a really good container. Try a dive shop or REI or a marine shop. They have waterproof containers that can hold up.

waterproof paper is a given, even though you shouldn't need it with your great container, good for insurance.

PLACEMENT: it needs to be somewhere it's not going to get muggled or complained about. Not on private property, and well out of the range of people not caching.

Good hints. Providing a good hint will help people find it so you won't have to go out and check to make sure it is there when everyone tells you it's not. So, hidden well from muggles, but with a good hint so it's easily found by geocachers.

Plan on going out there once a year. If you can't do that, forget it. But also know there are years where it may need more.

You might try meeting cachers with boating gear who have extra you can borrow. Sometimes a couple will have boats, but both always dont' want to go out.

Do this at events (you can create one maybe even to announce your new caches and celebrate them), or after a few people find your caches start emailing them and see which ones want to converse with you. See who's got extra gear.

(I've made caching friends from one of my caches before).

It's important to maintain your caches, but there is nothing wrong about being creative about doing it.

I would love to own a non-tipping kayak that would fit 2 people

Two issues:

The tippyness of kayaks is largely dependent upon the make/model/type. I only have two boats, but they have a very different tippyness rating. My Drifter, made by Ocean Kayak, is a short, clunky boat. It is aptly named, in that even the slightest breeze can spin it in directions you don't want to go. It is absolutely horrible on open water, but because it turns so easily, it makes a great river boat. It has another advantage in that it is dang near impossible to flip. I took it out on Mosquito Lagoon for my first paddle, and tried flipping it. I could lean it over so far that I fell off, but I could not flip it. The only time I successfully flipped it was paddling sideways in 6' surf. It's a rock stable boat. My other kayak is a Prowler Trident 15, also made by Ocean Kayak. This boat, being much narrower, has dunked me when I tried playing limbo under a fallen tree. I leaned too far off center, and "splash". But the boat didn't end up inverted. The one advantage to this boat is that it tracks like an arrow, making it great for open water, but terrible for winding rivers. Both of these boats are what are known as sit on tops, which are much more stable feeling than sit in sides.

In my paddling circles, two person boats are referred to as "Divorce Boats" :lol:

An age old axiom: Sleep tandem, paddle solo. ;)

I own three kayaks (and a canoe) and have paddled well over 100 different models so I've experienced many levels of tippiness. The tippiest kayak I ever paddled was a Foster-Rowe Rumour a 16' long, 20" wide boat that has a sharp v-hull and rounded chines. It was designed by Nigel Foster, a world class paddler that is a co-owner of a kayak shop not far from the OP. The cedar strip kayak I built is 17'10" long and 22" wide and is actually quite stable compared to some boats I've been in.

It's really common for beginning paddlers to fear tipping over, and those big box mall sporting good stores prey upon those fears and tout the stability of kayak rather than other attributes such as maneuverability and suitability for rough conditions. Since they're just trying to sell you a boat, they don't tell you that experienced kayaker don't rely on boat design to stay upright, but develop skills to do so (called bracing). Bracing also allows you to paddle the boat "on edge" (which effectively shortens the water line) and turn much easier. BTW, several years ago I wrote an article on advanced bracing skills that was published in Sea Kayaker magazine. What many mall sporting goods stores that sell kayaks also don't tell you is that the learning curve for getting used to the initial stability in a kayak is very short. A very good friend of mine owns the local kayak shop and I've spent many a day there helping him out with boat rentals. He primarily rents touring kayaks that those big box stores would tell potential buyers of their shorter, wider kayaks are not stable. I've seen dozens of first time kayakers get into them and look a bit wobbly as they left but come back a couple of hours later looking quite comfortable.

Tandem kayaks do have a common reputation as divorce boats but there are also numerous benefits which I won't get into as this is getting far off topic. However, one of those benefits would be that they would work much better for picking a cache container off a branch hanging over the water. As one paddler maneuvers the boat the other can easily grab the container, sign the logs and replace it. A tandem kayak often requires that the two paddlers stay in sync in their paddle strokes and work together. Here's a video I posted several years ago of me and a friend in a tandem kayak (that's me in the back) showing what you can do with you're in sync with your paddling partner.

All you experienced paddlers, look away. You aren't going to like this.

But for people like the OP, who are NOT experienced paddlers, and want a boat that they can use to safely get to a paddle cache and get home again, look here:

http://www.oceankayak.com/kayaks/tandems/malibu_two.html

On a recent vacation the wife and I took one of these out into the ocean. We both have moderate experience paddling canoes on calm lakes and slow moving rivers. Neither of us had ever been in a kayak.

The boat is stable enough that rental companies can let people who have never been in a kayak take them out into the ocean. It can be paddled solo, or tandem. It is far less efficient than the kayaks mentioned earlier in the thread -- it takes more work to get it moving, and it's not fast. But you can also use it right now, without needing anyone to teach you how to do rolls, or brace, or anything.

The biggest drawback is that you WILL get wet. It's for summer use only, in my humble opinion. Or maybe you can extend that into spring and fall if you live in a warm area, or own a wetsuit.