Garmin plug in not working

I am having trouble down loading caches to my Garmin Vista CX.

When I try to down load the message says 'Garmin plug in not loaded' but it is loaded as a] I have used it before and b] When I do a test it says that it is successfully loaded.

Any ideas ?

Have an android phone which will help me today when out caching , but yesterday it could not find any caches nearby at all [ using c:geo ]

Many thanks

and Happy New Year

:lol::lol:

Are you using Firefox or IE? In FF go to Tools/Addons and see if the Garmin Communicator is installed and not disabled. If all looks OK then suggest you uninstall it, shut FF down, repopen it and reinstall it. For IE go to Tools/Manage Addons and do the same thing.

Otherwise I've no idea!

Chris

Graculus

Volunteer UK Reviewer for geocaching.com

UK Geocaching Information & Resources website www.follow-the-arrow.co.uk

Geocaching.com Knowledge Books

Are you using Firefox or IE? In FF go to Tools/Addons and see if the Garmin Communicator is installed and not disabled. If all looks OK then suggest you uninstall it, shut FF down, repopen it and reinstall it. For IE go to Tools/Manage Addons and do the same thing.

Otherwise I've no idea!

Chris

Graculus

I get the same message using Chrome - but FF is fine.

Otherwise I've no idea!

Chris

Graculus

I get the same message using Chrome - but FF is fine.

O.K , thanks for getting back to me.

I have uninstalled / installed and still have the same problem.

Have tried different link cables too.

I am using internet Explorer for your information, cheers

Andy

Did find this on a Google search. Linkto Garmins page with some FAQ's.

Which version of IE are you using, 7 or 8? People have reported in an old thread on the main forums a similar problem using IE7 which was sorted when installing IE8. May also be worth clearing your IE cache completely in case something is stored that is causing the problem.

Chris

Graculus

I am on version 8 already. What do you mean about clearing the I.E Cache. Do you mean removing then re loading the browser ? wil I lose anything if I do this ?

Andy

You won't lose any important data but things like passwords (if you asked IE to remember them) and any settings you've saved for websites you've visited will be removed (these are cookies which is how websites store information on your PC-web browser so it recognises 'you' when you go back to the site). These and settings can easily be created again when you next visit the site.

If this fails it might be worth installing Firefox and installing the Garmin Communicator plugin. There are also lots of really useful scripts you can run with FF to enhance your geocaching browsing experience. Details on my resource website.

Chris

Graculus

i'm afraid that I despair as still not working despite all advice !

Firefox installed and Garmin plug in test page says that it is installed but will not allow me to download. It stiil says that I should down load plug ins !!!!

I give up - will have to rely on c:geo / android Groundspeak downloads for my Android phone [despite serious limitations]

Maybe I should give up on Vista ?

If I purchased a new Oregon do you think I will still have the same problem with dowl loading ?

Cannot get on with Swiss army knife as it is constantly asking for numbers that I have no record of.

A shame as it all used to work so well using no special software at all.

Thanks for your assistance anyway

Andy

There is a thread here on Garmin's forums:

http://tinyurl.com/6g4rxqh

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=3390

Someone from Garmin tech support suggests

"I would suggest to re-download the GCPI and choose to save the file on your desktop. After it has been saved, close ALL browsers and run the file. "

There may be some hints in the rest of it that may help.

Regards,

Neil

There is a thread here on Garmin's forums:

http://tinyurl.com/6g4rxqh

https://forums.garmin.com/showthread.php?t=3390

Someone from Garmin tech support suggests

"I would suggest to re-download the GCPI and choose to save the file on your desktop. After it has been saved, close ALL browsers and run the file. "

There may be some hints in the rest of it that may help.

Regards,

Neil

i'm getting a headache ! will have a look at this in the next few days. Great that you were able to help me with this and will give it a go .

Many thanks

Andy

Andy, have you tried using someone else's computer? Before you hang yourself, it may be work touching base with someone local to see if your gps works on their pc. If it does not work it may be a problem with the unit communication port.

Hope this helps

Dave

Edited by dave-harris

i'm getting a headache ! will have a look at this in the next few days. Great that you were able to help me with this and will give it a go .

Many thanks

Andy

Andy, have you tried using someone else's computer? Before you hang yourself, it may be work touching base with someone local to see if your gps works on their pc. If it does not work it may be a problem with the unit communication port.

Hope this helps

Dave

Good idea

Will give this a go

Cheers

BTW you are right this is not a hanging issue but City being on top of the Premier League is !

I had this exact problem with my laptop a couple of months ago. I had downloaded and installed the plug in BUT had selected NO at a crucial point when I was asked about allowing something. I have Win 7 and use IE and the problem was that the plug in was disabled.

To enable it you have to start IE as admin (Shift and right click on IE in the start up list and select start as admin) Then go to Tools and Trust Centre. Select the plug ins and hopefully you should see the garmin one under the disabled list. Click on it and enable it. Then restart IE as normal and it 'should' work.

All the best

I had this exact problem with my laptop a couple of months ago. I had downloaded and installed the plug in BUT had selected NO at a crucial point when I was asked about allowing something. I have Win 7 and use IE and the problem was that the plug in was disabled.

To enable it you have to start IE as admin (Shift and right click on IE in the start up list and select start as admin) Then go to Tools and Trust Centre. Select the plug ins and hopefully you should see the garmin one under the disabled list. Click on it and enable it. Then restart IE as normal and it 'should' work.

All the best

Looks like an intresting tip.BUT not sure what your second paragraph procedure is . Can you expand please [i am a bit slow on the P.C side of things !

Thanks

Andy

All the best

Looks like an intresting tip.BUT not sure what your second paragraph procedure is . Can you expand please [i am a bit slow on the P.C side of things !

Thanks

Andy

Sorry I may have been describing a problem I had with Outlook. But:

To re-enable an add-on in Internet Explorer 8

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.

Under Show, click All add-ons.

Click the add-on you want to enable i.e. the Garmin one, and then click Enable.

Hope it helps/works

All the best

Thanks

Andy

Sorry I may have been describing a problem I had with Outlook. But:

To re-enable an add-on in Internet Explorer 8

Open Internet Explorer by clicking the Start button , and then clicking Internet Explorer.

Click the Tools button, and then click Manage Add-ons.

Under Show, click All add-ons.

Click the add-on you want to enable i.e. the Garmin one, and then click Enable.

Hope it helps/works

Thanks for elaborating.

I tried it but the plug ins have been enabled even though on the test page they say they have not been installed.

I have also updated the Garmin drivers and nothing working.

Have tried an alternative cable and all thatb remains is for me to try and load it up from another P.C to see if my GPS is the problem [it is 4.5 years old now]

Cheers

Andy