Base Thirty What?

EveningKiss

:huh: Hey i have an UNUSUAL question. How in the heck do you do the base 19/32/34/69/ ect math for mystery caches?! Ive asked a few math people i know but not one can explain it to me in a way I can comprehend. I understand the base to (ie 1-9) and that A=1, B=12 ect ect but i have NO idea how that coorilates to figuring out Base 32.

Sorry for the stupid question but yeah... no clue what im doing here.... :(

Each digit in a base32 number can have 32 values, 0 thru 31. Similar to decimal 0-9. Since 32 is an even 5 binary digits(11111 binary = 31 decimal), I would convert each digit to a 5 bit number and then you have binary number that a lot of calculators can use. 325 base32 = 00011 00010 000101 base2

That's what I was going to say but I didn't want to sound to geeky. :)

Each digit in a base32 number can have 32 values, 0 thru 31. Similar to decimal 0-9. Since 32 is an even 5 binary digits(11111 binary = 31 decimal), I would convert each digit to a 5 bit number and then you have binary number that a lot of calculators can use. 325 base32 = 00011 00010 000101 base2

That's what I was going to say but I didn't want to sound to geeky. :)

I am way past worrying about that. I had to give it shot since I am a geek. I remembered the method I used when I worked on computers many years ago, before calculators.

Using decimal arithmetic any base x number ABCD.... =

A times x plus B

answer times x plus C

answer times x plus D

etc.

what hasn't been mentioned yet is that usually for all numeral systems with bases higher than 10, the regular numeric digits 0-9 are used for values 0-9 and for digits with values of 10 and up, letters are used. this works up to base-36, because you have 10 numeric digits plus 26 letters.

what hasn't been mentioned yet is that usually for all numeral systems with bases higher than 10, the regular numeric digits 0-9 are used for values 0-9 and for digits with values of 10 and up, letters are used. this works up to base-36, because you have 10 numeric digits plus 26 letters.

All geeky geocachers know "degrees minutes seconds" is a base60(called sexagesimal) number .You are right, license plates are base36 numbers.