Pop-up Tents

Paperstraw

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are planning on starting backpacking and were interested in the idea of a tent that requires little preperation.

I found this at our local Canadian Tire:

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents1and3person/PRD~0765050P/Broadstone%252BPopup%252BTent.jsp?EnableScene7Video=true&Scene7VideoNumber=1&adlocation=CLP_Sports+%26+Rec%3ACamping_spmb_pdp_tent_en

(2 person tent)

Are pop-up tents worth it, or is it just better to deal with the hassle of setting a tent and packing it down everytime you move camps?

My main worry is that the diameter of the tent when compressed could be a little annoying.

Opinions?

Hello,

My girlfriend and I are planning on starting backpacking and were interested in the idea of a tent that requires little preperation.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/5/SportsRec/Camping/Tents1and3person/PRD~0765050P/Broadstone%252BPopup%252BTent.jsp?EnableScene7Video=true&Scene7VideoNumber=1&adlocation=CLP_Sports+%26+Rec%3ACamping_spmb_pdp_tent_en

(2 person tent)

Are pop-up tents worth it, or is it just better to deal with the hassle of setting a tent and packing it down everytime you move camps?

My main worry is that the diameter of the tent when compressed could be a little annoying.

Opinions?

I would not go for that tent for many reasons.

My first issue with it is that it would not pack well at all.

For me, the time saved opening it, would be lost and then some trying to fold it up.

If you are looking for hike in type camping, a pup tent would probably be the best for two people. They take up the smallest foot print, are fairly cheap to buy, and will hold in the heat during cooler weather. My only compaint with these tents is they need to be pegged.

I love the hammock type tents for back country camping, but would not recommend them if you are sharing it with someone.

If you're going backpacking I think I would pass on this one.

Putting aside the idea of buying a tent from a tire store, realize that your shelter is an essential piece of equipment. I'm sure you've read up on hypothermia and how it can easily kill you, so you're aware of the importance of staying dry. Where's the rainfly? Other questions that pop immediately to mind are, who is Broadstone? How much does it weigh? What is it made out of? Why don't they list the specs?

This might be a great tent for car camping or for the kids to use in the back yard. It looks like a toy.

For backpacking I would stick to names like Marmot, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, MSR, Eureka, REI, North Face, or NEMO. It really doesn't take long, and isn't at all complicated, to set up a tent.

If you're going backpacking I think I would pass on this one.

Putting aside the idea of buying a tent from a tire store, realize that your shelter is an essential piece of equipment. I'm sure you've read up on hypothermia and how it can easily kill you, so you're aware of the importance of staying dry. Where's the rainfly? Other questions that pop immediately to mind are, who is Broadstone? How much does it weigh? What is it made out of? Why don't they list the specs?

This might be a great tent for car camping or for the kids to use in the back yard. It looks like a toy.

For backpacking I would stick to names like Marmot, Big Agnes, Mountain Hardware, MSR, Eureka, REI, North Face, or NEMO. It really doesn't take long, and isn't at all complicated, to set up a tent.

Broadstone makes alright fair weather tents. Specs are almost impossible to find on their stuff though. We bought this tent made by them this past spring while camping (not real camping, but in camp grounds) with the family.Broadstone 13-Person 4-Room Dome Tent, 21 x 17'

As for the "tire store".... It's a hardware auto,outdoors, etc, department store chain in Canada.

For high quality camping gear within Canada, check out mec.ca.

yep, someone beat me with the MEC reccomendation..been picking stuff up there on and off for a few decades and traditionally it's pretty well made. You have to buy a membership, I believe something like $5 lifetime. I use and love my pop-up tent, but I don't pack it around. Mostly I camp when travelling, I prefer it to hotels/motels. Of all the car camping tents I've tried/owned, the pop-up is my favourite and the heaviest and bulkiest. I think you might be in FT. Mac? Figure out how much you're paying for one nights rent, and upgrading to a quality tent that will let you enjoy backpacking won't seem so expensive at all.

Edited by Qbar

yep, someone beat me with the MEC reccomendation..been picking stuff up there on and off for a few decades and traditionally it's pretty well made. You have to buy a membership, I believe something like $5 lifetime. I use and love my pop-up tent, but I don't pack it around. Mostly I camp when travelling, I prefer it to hotels/motels. Of all the car camping tents I've tried/owned, the pop-up is my favourite and the heaviest and bulkiest. I think you might be in FT. Mac? Figure out how much you're paying for one nights rent, and upgrading to a quality tent that will let you enjoy backpacking won't seem so expensive at all.

I think you are correct on the $5 for the life time membership. Mec carries high end stuff, so it can look a bit more pricy, but it is generally well worth the price.

One tip for you. Unless your friend is a hardcore outdoors person already, I would suggest looking at a 3 person tent instead of a 2 person. The little bit of extra space will help make them enjoy it more, which means they will like backpacking more as well.

My friend is actually my girlfriend, we're almost commonlaw now, so I don't think the extra space will be a problem :anibad:

@Qbar,

Yep you're right, I am in Fort McMurray, how'd you guess? Where are you located? I think to begin there is a nice lake off of a place called Tower Road here, about a 13 km drive from inside of town down it, and maybe an 8 km or so hike to the lake through a bit of bush and some cutting trails.

Another question, how do you guys protect your cars if you leave them, I'd hate to have my vehicle broken into, I know Tower Road can be host to a lot of drinking teens and paintballers.

The caches you had found were in Fort McMurray, so I assumed you lived there :) . Not always a valid indicator as sometimes people first try geocaching when visiting someone, but it worked out this time. I'm in Yukon - I was down in your town a few years back visiting a friend, but I wasn't caching that trip so I never looked for any in that area. Looks like you have a goodly number around you- should keep you busy for a while

Edited by Qbar

Another question, how do you guys protect your cars if you leave them, I'd hate to have my vehicle broken into, I know Tower Road can be host to a lot of drinking teens and paintballers.

Don't leave anything visible on the seats or cargo area that someone might want to steal no matter how trivial and maintain your comprehensive insurance.

I am really satisfied with my MSR Hubba 2-place. Its price It's light, sets up quickly and I can use the parts independantly. There is not extra space when 2 sleep in, but each has a good size covered exit.

High quality and trustworthy equipment is important out there.

Don't leave anything visible on the seats or cargo area that someone might want to steal no matter how trivial and maintain your comprehensive insurance.

Not leaving anything visible is important, but it still won't stop some people from smashing a window and checking under the seats. I make sure there are no valuables in the car. My wallet, camera, iPod etc. come with me. I also leave the glove compartment open and the doors unlocked. If they want to get in I'd rather they not have to smash a window.

Then again I know someone who left his doors unlocked and someone smashed the window anyway. The miscreant didn't bother to try the door. So nothing is foolproof.

I know one person who makes sure his car is an absolute mess. Garbage all over, fast food wrappers, newspapers, cans, etc. He actually brings a bag of garbage to strew about the car. He says it makes the car so unappealing that no thief would bother and claims he's never had a break in, even when other cars in the same lot were broken into. Worth a try.

Then again I know someone who left his doors unlocked and someone smashed the window anyway. The miscreant didn't bother to try the door. So nothing is foolproof.

This actually happened to us when we parked at Snow Creek Trailhead in WA back in the 70's. We were back in the Enchantments for a few days, and heard of it from some through hikers. When we got back to the car, it was apparent that every car in the parking area had been broken into, regardless of whether folks left windows and/or car doors unlocked or open.

Since then, I just assume that everything in my car is public property. Anything of value or is difficult to replace, I take with me.

Years ago, at the end of the Real Middle Fork 'Dutch Miller Gap area', you could park without worries. Or should I say I had no worries, others did.

I would park, put a 6-pack on the hood of my vehicle and leave. I could come back a week later, find a empty 6-pack w/bottle next to my driver door.

No harm to my vehicle and sometimes find a small note of Thanks. I knew this location was where a few Vets got away from Civilization and needed a break.

They protected my vehicle or should I say.. Payment not to break in.

You can park in downtown Seattle and someone can break in if they want. We must accept if someone want, they are going to do what they want. :unsure:

Hello,

(2 person tent)

Opinions?

If you are looking for hike in type camping, a pup tent would probably be the best for two people. They take up the smallest foot print, are fairly cheap to buy, and will hold in the heat during cooler weather. My only compaint with these tents is they need to be pegged.

I love the hammock type tents for back country camping, but would not recommend them if you are sharing it with someone.

I agree - the pup tent is a much better way to go (I have used both). I found the pup tent very easy to set up, easy to transport and a perfect size for my husband and I.

Edited by ageddes