How to load maps on 60csx?

jamesdak

Ok, I've got a topo map of utah in Mapsource. Switch the GPS to USB mode and then send the map to it. Now how do I view the map on the unit itself. I get a message saying everything uploaded fine but the map is not there. I have a 4GB card installed. When I go into the map setup menu and select map into no maps appear in the pop up window on the GPS. I am frustrated, what am I doing wrong????

Also when I go into setup and look at the card info it shows 0% full and no maps?? What is going on? Why does mapsource say it's transfering the map yet obviously does not?? Of course the manual is of no help. Thanks

Edited by jamesdak
Ok, I've got a topo map of utah in Mapsource. Switch the GPS to USB mode and then send the map to it.
I prefer to use an external card reader rather than using the GPS as a USB card reader. Look in the folder Garmin, your maps are in the file gmapsupp.img.

In Mapsource, do this:

1. Select the segments you want transferred using the Map Tool
  2. Only segments under the Map tab, on the left, will be transferred
  3. Use the "Send to GPS" tool to send the maps
  4. The send dialog MUST see your GPS, or use the select window to select.
  5. Send
  6. Mapsource will build and send the file, could take hours, start small
  7. You can have only one map file (max 2025 segments), sending a new file will overwrite the last

Ok, I've got a topo map of utah in Mapsource. Switch the GPS to USB mode and then send the map to it.
I prefer to use an external card reader rather than using the GPS as a USB card reader. Look in the folder Garmin, your maps are in the file gmapsupp.img.

In Mapsource, do this:

1. Select the segments you want transferred using the Map Tool
  2. Only segments under the Map tab, on the left, will be transferred
  3. Use the "Send to GPS" tool to send the maps
  4. The send dialog MUST see your GPS, or use the select window to select.
  5. Send
  6. Mapsource will build and send the file, could take hours, start small
  7. You can have only one map file (max 2025 segments), sending a new file will overwrite the last

Yep these are the steps I took except I did use the GPS instead of a reader. My built in reader does not seem to work anymore. Mapsource takes awhile to build the mapsets and then transfers them. It say successful when done so I don't know why the map is not active in the GPS unit. If in USB mode I can use explorer to view the card, I see the Garmin foldere and the .img file is in it. What am I doing wrong??

Are you in Utah - Are you in the area you loaded the map for? If not, you may just not be seeing it. Mark a waypoint in an area you are sending the map for and send it to the GPS. Then find the waypoint on your GPS.

If that is not it, do you have any mpas besides the topo loading? For example, are you also loading City Navigator? CN wil cover up the topomaps. You have to disable CN to see topo maps.

Navigate your through your GPS to the map section and make sure you have the "show topo map" selected.

Sorry, I cannot find this option anywhere in my unit nor in the manual.

Turn your GPS on.

Press "page" button until you get to map page.

Press "menu" button and scroll down to "Setup Map" then press "enter" button.

Navigate over to "Map Setup - Information" and press "enter" button.

Then scroll to the map you want and use "enter" button to either hide or show the map.

On my 60CSX, I have City Navigator North America and Topo U.S. 2008 installed. I would "hide" CN and "show" topo which would show all the topo map sections I have on my GPS. To go back to the CN maps I would "hide" topo and "show" CN.

Putting the GPS in USB mode was an unnecessary step; but it seems like it should have worked, since it would be just like sending the map to a card reader, and that works. Nevertheless, if none of the other suggestions solves the problem, try transferring the map to the unit without putting it in USB mode. That is the usual way with 60 series units. It is also the only way you can transfer waypoints and track data between MapSource and a 60.

Just connect it and (after selecting maps to send), click send to device. You should get a dialog box that will automatically detect the unit and identify it by model. Check the box for the type of data you want to send and click SEND.

To save yourself a bunch of time until you get this figured out, just select one small map segment to send as a test so you don’t have to wait so long for it to transfer to see if it worked.

Putting the GPS in USB mode was an unnecessary step; but it seems like it should have worked, since it would be just like sending the map to a card reader, and that works. Nevertheless, if none of the other suggestions solves the problem, try transferring the map to the unit without putting it in USB mode. That is the usual way with 60 series units. It is also the only way you can transfer waypoints and track data between MapSource and a 60.

Just connect it and (after selecting maps to send), click send to device. You should get a dialog box that will automatically detect the unit and identify it by model. Check the box for the type of data you want to send and click SEND.

To save yourself a bunch of time until you get this figured out, just select one small map segment to send as a test so you don’t have to wait so long for it to transfer to see if it worked.

Problem solved! Something was messed up with the card. Once I reformated the card and then dumped the map again all was well. It was strange because I could remove the .img file, run the load function and a new file would appear in the Garmin folder. But the unit would not recognize the map. Once I did the format of the card and ran things all was well. Thanks to all on the suggestion