Contacting another member

tinkerbellkel

I had a member contact me with this message:

" I hope you enjoyed the (username) caches in San Francisco’s Golden Gate Park.

Hopefully you will consider (username) caches while selecting your favorite caches."

Is this allowed?

It's allowed, but it's in really poor taste. Just ignore it. If they were worthy of a favorite point, give them one. If not, do anything from ignoring the message to putting the user on your ignore list. I'd probably go with the second option.

This is an unintended consequence of the new favorites feature, Owners see that favorite points make their cache look better. Some are begging for them. My new rule of thumb is to not award any favorite points to these people.

I got one today and it went from only a couple to 10 (the second highest traditional that I have found) so it is working for that owner at least.

Hopefully you will consider (username) caches while selecting your favorite caches."

Is this allowed?

Sure, why not. But I certainly would enjoy returning the email and saying I was considering awarding some points but have reconsidered and will not award any points to any cache by (username). Thank you for understanding. Maybe a few emails like that and they will get the idea. But probably not.

Is this allowed?

Sure, why not. But I certainly would enjoy returning the email and saying I was considering awarding some points but have reconsidered and will not award any points to any cache by (username). Thank you for understanding. Maybe a few emails like that and they will get the idea. But probably not.

+1 favorites allowance. Contact me if you would like me to allot one of my unused favorites to a cache of your choice.

Is this allowed?

I'd take it a step further. Tell them that you had already put their caches on your favorite list, but then removed them after the blatant pandering.

That is very tacky IMO to spam like that trying to get some votes. If you have to beg, plead and plant seeds in the minds of cachers to get votes it must not have been that great of a cache to start with. It should have a special reason to the cacher that would make them remember it and vote for it.

I voted for a cache on private property that had a phony container and you think you found it, until you opened it and there was no logsheet. Further inspection revealed a "this isn't it, try again" inside the lid. Then you look for and find the real cache close by. It made me laugh at how foolish we must all look to the CO sitting at the window drinking coffee and chuckling at us.

I also voted for one that was probably very easy for anyone with a dedicated hand-held GPS but I was using a car GPS. This was before I learned how to make it show my position as I moved. I started and stopped, made U turns and generally worked my a** off trying to find my way through the head high weeds and thorn bushes, getting scratched up and bleeding. and getting my jeans torn in the process too. After I found it I unknowingly came out on the trail that others had used to get there. It took me back to my truck as easy as a walk in the park. That made it special to me. Or the 1st virtual, 1st multi cache, 1st magnetic nano painted perfectly, or the 1st FTF made them all special to me. These are the things that I will remember and made it "my favorite".

A cache in a metropolitan area that many find and vote for doesn't take away the "special to me" value my vote means.

No, its not allowed since he/she is abusing the system.

On the bottom of your email it will say. "Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com"

Thats your answer.

Anyone that does that to me will be reported to GC.

:unsure: Huh? How was that email abusive? A misguided, perhaps, but certainly polite request to vote for their caches is abusive in your eyes? Feeling a mite touchy tonight, are we?

No, its not allowed since he/she is abusing the system.

On the bottom of your email it will say. "Forward abuse complaints to: contact@geocaching.com"

Thats your answer.

Anyone that does that to me will be reported to GC.

:unsure: Huh? How was that email abusive? A misguided, perhaps, but certainly polite request to vote for their caches is abusive in your eyes? Feeling a mite touchy tonight, are we?

I agree, it's ignorable, but not reportable.

But, like I said earlier, I could have a lot of fun with it.

Got the same email, it was no big deal. I exchanged some communications with the CO when I originally found his caches, he was a nice enough fellow. The email neither makes me more inclined to vote for an undeserving cache, nor does it make me inclined to withhold a vote from a deserving one as penalty.

[

Then there is the famous scene in Blazing Saddles where the Sheriff takes himself hostage which cannot be repeated here but all fans of Mel Brooks will get a chuckle out of.

<OT>

"The Sheriff is a near(ding)

I saw that as a teen, in a movie theater, located in the most lilly white area of the region. The laughter was so loud, we couldn't hear the dialog. As funny as it was, I think that it helped me accept the fact that people have many different colors, but they are still people.

</OT>

Edited by Don_J

Got the same email, it was no big deal. I exchanged some communications with the CO when I originally found his caches, he was a nice enough fellow. The email neither makes me more inclined to vote for an undeserving cache, nor does it make me inclined to withhold a vote from a deserving one as penalty.

I'm afraid that I can't agree with this.

Begging for Favorite votes is just wrong, IMO.

I will pull my vote if you are begging, even it is the best cache I have ever found.

I just think it is wrong.

Selling favorite votes on eBay. Lock the account.

I want this tool to work as it was intended, but as always, someone has to find a way to cheat the system.

For caches that you just found this is tacky, but if some one found one of your caches a few years back and left a comment that made it sound like they really enjoyed it then why not. Many of these cachers have thousands of finds, they are going to forget a few no matter how good it was.

I disagree. You'll always remember the best ones. Or I will I should say. I don't see any situation where I think this is okay. Not reportable, just wrong.

It's just strange to me. I'm not a CO yet, because I want to wait until I'm inspired enough to create a meaningful caching experience that people will remember and treasure.

It seems counterproductive to solicit favorite votes. After all, it's not like you get paid each time someone favorites your cache, or even for having a very popular cache. So, it seems to me, I'd rather get a "favorite" because someone really enjoyed finding my cache. Not because I solicited them; how can there be any sort of satisfaction in receiving that sort of a favorite?

It just seems strange to me. Like I don't see the benefit to the CO.

I will pull my vote if you are begging, even it is the best cache I have ever found.

I want this tool to work as it was intended, but as always, someone has to find a way to cheat the system.

How does the above quoted email equate to begging? "Hopefully you will consider" is begging in your book, and cheating the system?

ACK! Some of you people are seriously anal. The CO merely asked in the politest of ways, to favorite his finds. The finder is under no obligation to comply. While I do not have any finds in Golden Gate Park, I imagine that those caches require a fair bit of maintenance or are really clever hides. The CO is asking for a finder to CONSIDER giving one of his caches a favorite point. What would you all say if if the CO said, "favorite my cache, or I will delete your log"? What is wrong with reminding a finder that they found a cache, a bit out of the ordinary, in a cool place?

Concerned'

ESCOMAG

Edited by escomag

The CO merely asked in the politest of ways, to favorite his finds.

You seem to be using a non-standard definition of the word "polite." I expect other geocachers to use the mail system respectfully for legitimate reasons. Soliciting favorite votes through the mail system is intrusive and obnoxious, no matter how politely the request is worded.

I don't like the idea of someone soliciting "favourites" so i reckon I would just ignore it. I haven't found that many caches yet, and haven't rated any so far (not intentionally anyway) and I don't suppose I ever will. For me the point of the game is in finding the caches and discovering new places and new things about old ones.

Is this allowed?

It's allowed, but it's in really poor taste. Just ignore it. If they were worthy of a favorite point, give them one. If not, do anything from ignoring the message to putting the user on your ignore list. I'd probably go with the second option.

that was to be expected on anything with a number.

I only favorite caches i like regardless of how big of a pest the owner might be being via email.

his/her cache will stand on its own merits. if it sucks, nothing. if its a good hide then yes it'll get a point.

Are people selling their points on eBay? Why?

Also, why do people care about the points for their sites?

I like the point system and all else being equal will hunt for a cache with more points verses one with no points.

Am I missing something? Is this just a prestige thing among Cachers?

Take the message and copy

go back to said cache page

and paste it as a post message with an explanation of how you got the e-mail

If others in the area do the same thing maybe cache owners will start to be a bit more cautious

More likely is they will just delete the log but if you can get other local cachers doing the same thing maybe the CO will get tired of whack-a-mole and just put out better caches.

Yes. Soliciting or asking for something like that is begging. IMHO.

Hopefully you will consider other possibilities.

Such as ... ?

Sorry... that was meant to be a funny, as in:

Fell flat, apparently.

But seriously... I can read that as saying, "I put a lot of effort into my cache. If you felt it worthy, please don't forget that Groundspeak has added Favorites votes recently".

Edited by knowschad