Hint download

electroman7979

Newbie here to my own geocaching...... Just got an etrex and looking forward to finding lots of caches....

just figured out how to download waypoints to GPS.... but how do I download the hints from the cache owner to my handheld? I copy/pasted into the comment area of the properties of the cache, but when it gets sent to GPS it only brings in a few words (two lines worth on the GPS). The only way I can find is to print it and carry it along. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Unless you have a GPS that supports customized POIs, (Etrex' with external data cards), you are limited to 30 characters in the comment field. To get more info, you will have to input the comments manually into each waypoint. You can fit more info using abbreviations and leaving out "the" and such...

The title holds 14 characters. You can take out "GC" and add cache size and difficulty/terrain levels there.

I have the etrex Vista HCx using the software it came with, Mapsource 5.00. I saw a port for an external memory card. I'll get one and try that. thanks!

Thats just part of the process. To put those POI`s on the card you would need to use GSAK( $25 or a nag screen), this macro (free), and Garmins POI Loader (free). And if it goes over 80 characters it will create another POI.

Or use EASYGPS (free) and change it to send the hint in the comment section, which as posted before, has a 30 character limit.

I have the etrex Vista HCx using the software it came with, Mapsource 5.00. I saw a port for an external memory card. I'll get one and try that. thanks!

I use GSAK...the waypoint description format string "%Dif/%Ter/%Hint" will put the hint into the Vista HCx (which I use also)..

the waypoint name string I use is "%smart/%con" ..no need for memory card for this...I have the 24K topos on the SD card...

However...the Vista HCx is not meant for true paperless..so try Delorme PN-40/60, Dakota, etc.

I also use a Nuvi with Pilotsmipe's macro on GSAK.....love this for drive up caching...