Another newbie question ;-)

MamaKatS

In snooping around the site, I've noticed sometimes the phrase "Great stealth required" when seeking a certain cache. My silly newbie question is... how come? LOL! Why do we need to move in super-sneaky-ninja-stealth-mode? Aside from the obvious fun of cloak-and-dagger mystery & intrigue, LOL! :lol:

In snooping around the site, I've noticed sometimes the phrase "Great stealth required" when seeking a certain cache. My silly newbie question is... how come? LOL! Why do we need to move in super-sneaky-ninja-stealth-mode? Aside from the obvious fun of cloak-and-dagger mystery & intrigue, LOL! :lol:

Because when other people see you sneaking around acting suspicious, you get all of the excitement of watching the bomb squad come blow up a cache container ;)

seriously, in my opinion "great stealth required" is another way of saying "We really should have hid this cache somewhere else." because the average person does act incredibly suspicious when they are trying to be stealthy.

The other part of the equation is that you don't want to compromise someone's cache hide. In high muggle areas you may be observed from many directions. Someone may see you hunting for, and finding the cache from hundreds of feet away. Sometimes such muggles are benign - They go back and find what you found then they "discover" geocaching and join the game. Other times they may take the cache and trash it. :(

MrsB

Sometimes such muggles are benign - They go back and find what you found then they "discover" geocaching and join the game. Other times they may take the cache and trash it.

Yes. I think the best plan in urban hides is to "keep it on the down-low". Just be natural, find, sign and re-hide the container. Don't skulk around like a Russion spy. Yet don't wave it in the air "Hey everyone! I found the cash! I'll just put cash under this fence! Yippee! Hidden cash!! It's a secret!"

Edited by kunarion

This often means "I hid this without permission, so be stealthy or you may get arrested!"

This is especially true if the cache is hidden near a school or a bank or other public area where you KNOW the CO didn't get permission to hide it.

I once passed up a chance at a FTF on a cache located on bank property. A later geocacher was unlucky enough to be confronted by authorities when searching through nearby trees.

I have also been challenged by security when searching for a cache hidden in a field behind a local hospital. No permission was obtained.

So, what this means to me now is: IGNORE THIS CACHE!

Edited by michigansnorkelers