Hike Of The Month 2011

TotemLake

I am going to come as well. First time to attempt snowshoes since the surgery. I am keeping an open agenda. Also, I have hiked this before. Got the one at the lake, dnf'd the one at the tower. Did not go for the one on the ridge. I am looking forward to the fun.

Good luck on the Skyline View cache (the one at the cell tower) - bring shovels! My attempt from March 2006, featuring Cache Ahead and Sassey:

Excavation begins:

69de5e95-d8bf-452b-b241-b2b51b290adc.jpg

An 8-foot-deep trench, but still can't get the cache:

30083a2f-fe90-4f0f-9309-3b81b0f0caae.jpg

I am going to come as well. First time to attempt snowshoes since the surgery. I am keeping an open agenda. Also, I have hiked this before. Got the one at the lake, dnf'd the one at the tower. Did not go for the one on the ridge. I am looking forward to the fun.

Good luck on the Skyline View cache (the one at the cell tower) - bring shovels! My attempt from March 2006, featuring Cache Ahead and Sassey:

Excavation begins:

69de5e95-d8bf-452b-b241-b2b51b290adc.jpg

An 8-foot-deep trench, but still can't get the cache:

30083a2f-fe90-4f0f-9309-3b81b0f0caae.jpg

Great pics Abby!

You're very welcome! Thanks for coming!

I've identified the snow peaked mountains everyone was taking pictures of.

The dark green hill is part of the Big Chief Mtn. In the background directly behind it is Rock Mtn and I believe the highest peak in the back along the same ridge as Rock Mtn is Mt Howard. There's an optical illusion happening here that makes it look like one mountain.

BackacheHillRevisited028.jpg

Then you have Arrowhead Mtn.

BackacheHillRevisited029.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

You're very welcome! Thanks for coming!

I've identified the snow peaked mountains everyone was taking pictures of.

The dark green hill is part of the Big Chief Mtn. In the background directly behind it is Rock Mtn and I believe the highest peak in the back along the same ridge as Rock Mtn is Mt Howard. There's an optical illusion happening here that makes it look like one mountain.

BackacheHillRevisited028.jpg

We should have been better at identifying that mountain since we were up on Rock Mountain at the end of 2010. TotemLake, there is no optical illusion--that is all Rock Mountain in the picture. There are two peaks to the mountain and you can see both peaks in the picture. To get to the top, you climb the lower peak to the right and then cross over the saddle to the higher peak on the left. Mt. Howard isn't in the picture. It would be to the left of the highest peak in your pic. Maybe behind the clouds?

Here is a pic I took just as we walked up to the cache area several minutes before you took your pic.

Here you can see a little more of Mt. Howard through the clouds to the left of Rock Mountain before Howard got totally obscured by the clouds.

img0119rr.jpg

Edited by GrnXnham

It was absolutely gorgeous! I hope GA doesn't mind. I downloaded a pic she posted on FB that clearly shows Mt Howard with Rock Mtn. Thanks for setting me straight. Btw, my shortness of breath was due to catching a bug. I was down and out all of yesterday fending it off.

SkylineView.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

It was absolutely gorgeous! I hope GA doesn't mind. I downloaded a pic she posted on FB that clearly shows Mt Howard with Rock Mtn. Thanks for setting me straight. Btw, my shortness of breath was due to catching a bug. I was down and out all of yesterday fending it off.

SkylineView.jpg

So sad to hear that you are ill. I hope you are quickly on the mend. It was a great trip up the hill. When I hear back from GeoRoo, I will let you all know.