Hike Of The Month 2011

TotemLake

Well the boss said ok, well actually she said ohhhhhkaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyy. But any way you spell it, I'm in.

If anyone from the south end wants to carpool let me know, you can either meet me here in Federal Way or I can meet you somewhere along the I-5 corridor.

Huh. Seems our bosses collaborate. I got the same response. :unsure:

Edited by TotemLake

Target cache is Dayton Peak Lookout. This is a 9 mile round trip hike. More details coming.

I'm Planning on being there at 8AM to start hiking about 8:30.

Geopup Penny is coming along this time.

If anybody wants to carpool let me know.

I'm interested and would like to carpool.

There is a PnR right off of 405 at exit 22 for NE 160th St.

N47° 44.4975'

W122° 11.2884'

We'll need to leave there by 6:15AM to make to by 8 at the gate.

I'll see you there!

Edited by TotemLake

Apparently the gate is open during hunting season. Otherwise, it is closed off to normal traffic. We did see off-roading tire tracks of a moterbike on some of the trails we meandered on, but no signs of an actual off-roader until towards the end of the hike. I was under the impression he wasn't supposed to be there because he went in the direction he came from as soon as we saw each other.

Otherwise, the road is very drivable although it does get narrow and forest pinstripping is likely towards the top.

After a lot of thought, I'm almost guaranteeing we won't reach the primary target, but thought I would try to get one more snowshoe in before the season is ultimately too warm to try until next winter.

Saturday, 5/28

Primary target is Noble Knob. I plan on being near Deep Creek Trail by 7AM. I will be pulled off at N47° 0.5787' W121° 31.5991' where the aerial shows an access road on the left. I'm going to try to hit the trail by 7:30AM.

When we reach Noble Knob Trail, an assessment will be made whether or not it will be safe to travel the ridge to Noble Knob. Otherwise, I'll be targeting a backup plan to Leg o' Mutton

Bring your micro spikes and your snowshoes and be prepared to have them strapped to your pack for part of the way in and back out. This will be a 3000' elevation gain to 6,000' in 4.5-5 miles one way. Most of it will be in the first 3 miles.

Edited by TotemLake

That was a relatively tough hike to do. We had to trailhead off of FS7174 and add 1 mile RT to the trek. Our elevation started at 3,000 feet and managed to reach 5400 feet before reaching our turn around time and heading back down. We were 1/2 mile away from the junction and another 1.5-2 miles to Noble Knob. We encountered snow at about 2.4 miles in at 4450 feet up. At just over 3 miles we went from our Micro spikes/Yaktraks to snowshoes. Post holes were starting to become knee deep at this time. The snow was hard and crusty, making it difficult to gain a good purchase and too difficult to kick in steps on most of the slope which averaged 21 percent with a maximum of 68 percent encountered. Glissading quickly became not an option to pick up with branches surreptitiously poking out at odd places. Short snowshoes will work great here. The long back country shoes will add to your grief with the exagerrated angles you encounter.

Up to the snowline, the trail was very well maintained. There are a couple of radical reroutes which added almost a mile one way. Some of the original trail is visible and is becoming overgrown.

LandRover took the group pic this time. There wasn't a lot of room or energy to maneuver around. :)

de0cc197-110e-45b1-8a28-3c434bac3c0c.jpg

Edited by TotemLake

HOTM is on hold until 1 of 2 conditions exist.

1. I fix my Jeep. It's dead in a parking lot in Auburn at this time.

2. I replace my Jeep. Regardless of option 1, this is actively moving forward and should be in place before the Enchantments hike.

Robinego, I swear everytime i start looking at the dry side for an HOTM, this Jeep finds a way to tell me where to go... :unsure:

Edited by TotemLake

Saturday the 16th I'm planning on a location that's intrigued me over the years.

Stegosaurus Butte.

There are other caches on the way, but IF I find one, I'll have to skip the rest until I reach the target cache to make that 400. It's a small hike with a stiff elevation gain. Afterwards, a leisurly stroll on the NE side of it to pick up some other caches may be at hand.

Saturday the 16th I'm planning on a location that's intrigued me over the years.

Stegosaurus Butte.

There are other caches on the way, but IF I find one, I'll have to skip the rest until I reach the target cache to make that 400. It's a small hike with a stiff elevation gain. Afterwards, a leisurly stroll on the NE side of it to pick up some other caches may be at hand.

I'm a maybe, as I've been wanting to do this one too.

Ok I have been looking at this for a really long time now and I am going to attempt it this year either way. It seems that we try one really challenging hike each year and for this year I am going to attempt to make it out to On the way to Florence Rae. Maybe it could be made into a HOTM maybe not. It is really looking like a 15 mile RT with a river crossing.

Right now I am looking at the last week of August/First weekend of September as target dates. Anyone interested in a 5/5 or possible 2. (Lady Willowrose's deceptively hard adventure)

<_< Since my last time out in this area was an HOTM going the other direction and have been in need to finish these, I'd like to go.

Now the kicker here is I'm supposed to head to Oregon for another Dog Show.

If I can pull the 'You owe me Trump Card'; I'd be able to go but would need a ride from the Pour House or QFC in North Bend. :unsure:

:rolleyes: I know someone hates the Pour House Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers... after a long Hike a Cold Beer. I guess maybe the QFC would be a better chioce :laughing:

I should know more, by Wednesday.

Ok I have been looking at this for a really long time now and I am going to attempt it this year either way. It seems that we try one really challenging hike each year and for this year I am going to attempt to make it out to On the way to Florence Rae. Maybe it could be made into a HOTM maybe not. It is really looking like a 15 mile RT with a river crossing.

Right now I am looking at the last week of August/First weekend of September as target dates. Anyone interested in a 5/5 or possible 2. (Lady Willowrose's deceptively hard adventure)

Sure why not? I'm setting up a download of old black and white aerials of the area now. It'll need to be a dark thirty start I guess. Given the latest TR Criminal provided on his last escapade, this should be right up his alley. :ph34r:

<_< Since my last time out in this area was an HOTM going the other direction and have been in need to finish these, I'd like to go.

Now the kicker here is I'm supposed to head to Oregon for another Dog Show.

If I can pull the 'You owe me Trump Card'; I'd be able to go but would need a ride from the Pour House or QFC in North Bend. :unsure:

:rolleyes: I know someone hates the Pour House Blue Cheese Bacon Burgers... after a long Hike a Cold Beer. I guess maybe the QFC would be a better chioce :laughing:

I should know more, by Wednesday.

Sounds like a plan to me MtnMutt.

Edited by TotemLake

Sure why not? I'm setting up a download of old black and white aerials of the area now. It'll need to be a dark thirty start I guess. Given the latest TR Criminal provided on his last escapade, this should be right up his alley. :ph34r:

I have some travel for work coming up, but after that I'm going to start planning another attempt at Lake 3995. I may or may not announce it, but it owes me.

Stegosaurus Butte.

Ok, I intend to be at the trailhead by 7:30AM with a go time of 8AM.

Parking is at N47 32.865 W121 32.220

Don't forget your forest pass.

Yah I was looking at that too. I know the posted speed on those roads and what I drive are two different things. I sent you a PM asking about the local weather. It looks like Saturday is turning into a craps shoot and want to get your feel for it. I may want to delay this by a week when the weather pattern looks better for this kind of hike.

Ok, I hate to say it because I'll hike in any weather, but this weekend involves risk and wet rocks make for slippery moments. The weather has degraded Saturday to a point I can't fully put my trust in doing the Stegosaurus Butte which is too bad cuz I found the perfect image for the HOTM sig item. I'm cancelling out the HOTM for the 16th (excuse me while I gag on my first HOTM cancellation to weather). <_<

The weather pattern looks much better for the following Saturday.

Ok, I hate to say it because I'll hike in any weather, but this weekend involves risk and wet rocks make for slippery moments. The weather has degraded Saturday to a point I can't fully put my trust in doing the Stegosaurus Butte which is too bad cuz I found the perfect image for the HOTM sig item. I'm cancelling out the HOTM for the 16th (excuse me while I gag on my first HOTM cancellation to weather). <_<

The weather pattern looks much better for the following Saturday.

Better to live to hike another day.

Plan still stands.

I intend to be at the trailhead by 7:30AM with a go time of 8AM.

Parking is at N47 32.865 W121 32.220

Don't forget your forest pass.

I have Friday off so I'm doing a bike ride up to Calligan Lake off the North Fork road, then heading up the Middle Fork for either some dispersed camping or to the MF campground. Getting to the TH might jut be a drive across the road.

A couple of remarks were made to me that I need to clarify this Saturday's HOTM is not the bushwhack 15 mile hike Andrew suggested. That is planned for the end of August.

So it's Stegosaurus Butte this Saturday. Will everyone be bicycling? This sounds intriguing.

I'll have my bike, but not because I'm riding it on Saturday. Friday I'm biking up to Calligan Lake off the North Fork Snoqualmie and instead of driving home and then back Saturday morning I'm going to camp somewhere along the Middle Fork Snoqualmie.