Hike Of The Month 2011

TotemLake

I hadn't decided on it yet, but Gold Creek is a good beginner's snowshoe hike and there are some nice geocaches to find along the trail. It will require a $20 sno-park day pass per vehicle which you should get ahead of time at your local sport store. I had heard last year some of the quick marts in North Bend were going to quit selling them because of the jump in price. I don't know if they followed through with that threat or not. I will post details before this weekend so you will have time to get the permit if required.

95 views and few replies. :o It’s soapbox time…

C’mon people, you’ve seen the beautiful pictures, you know how to walk, so there’s nothing stopping you from snowshoeing. If you can walk around the mall, or scoot & loot on a cache machine, you can easily strap on a pair of snowshoes and walk in the beautiful and serene forest. Last Sunday, Maggie, Kevin, and I stopped just to listen to the sound of the falling snow. That one minute made the whole day.

If you lack the equipment, you can rent snowshoes cheap, or just buy an inexpensive set. I’ve seen them as low as $15 on craigslist! Ask around, you probably know someone with an unused set in their garage or basement. Poles are nice, but not required. If I cannot attend this one, you can even borrow my shoes and poles at no charge.

If you only lack confidence, then this is the perfect hike for you. TL said this is a beginner’s snowshoe, so it’s perfect for someone that has never tried it but thinks it might be fun. You will not be left behind, you will not get lost in the woods, and if you get tired you can just plop backwards into the soft snow and rest a bit. If you don’t think you have the physical ability or endurance, just give it a try- you may surprise yourself! If you want to go slow, go slow. We routinely get separated by speed and get strung out in smaller groups as we go along. We always keep track of who is with who and where they are (except for the Mt Aix hike but that is the only exception). You have, at any point along the trail, the option of turning around and following the tracks back to cars. There’s no shame in turning around, we have all done it!

If you have any questions about what to bring or wear, just drop one of us a line and we’d be happy to help you. But seriously, it’s far easier than you may believe, and much more memorable than an afternoon of guardrail caches.

1Track.png

C’mon people, you’ve seen the beautiful pictures, you know how to walk, so there’s nothing stopping you from snowshoeing. If you can walk around the mall, or scoot & loot on a cache machine, you can easily strap on a pair of snowshoes and walk in the beautiful and serene forest. Last Sunday, Maggie, Kevin, and I stopped just to listen to the sound of the falling snow. That one minute made the whole day.

If you lack the equipment, you can rent snowshoes cheap, or just buy an inexpensive set. I’ve seen them as low as $15 on craigslist! Ask around, you probably know someone with an unused set in their garage or basement. Poles are nice, but not required. If I cannot attend this one, you can even borrow my shoes and poles at no charge.

If you only lack confidence, then this is the perfect hike for you. TL said this is a beginner’s snowshoe, so it’s perfect for someone that has never tried it but thinks it might be fun. You will not be left behind, you will not get lost in the woods, and if you get tired you can just plop backwards into the soft snow and rest a bit. If you don’t think you have the physical ability or endurance, just give it a try- you may surprise yourself! If you want to go slow, go slow. We routinely get separated by speed and get strung out in smaller groups as we go along. We always keep track of who is with who and where they are (except for the Mt Aix hike but that is the only exception). You have, at any point along the trail, the option of turning around and following the tracks back to cars. There’s no shame in turning around, we have all done it!

If you have any questions about what to bring or wear, just drop one of us a line and we’d be happy to help you. But seriously, it’s far easier than you may believe, and much more memorable than an afternoon of guardrail caches.

1Track.png

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/localnews/2013778416_missingsnowshoers28m.html

1Track.png

Geez, give a rest dude.

We can't all just head out at the drop of the hat. Who was it that couldn't go on the Decemmber HOTM because they had better things to do, not that there's anything wrong with that sometimes life just gets in the way. Reading a forum post is one thing but sometimes schedules have to be checked, plans made and/or rearranged or a multitude of other things and that can take a lot more time than it takes to just read this thread.

Oh yeah I'm in.

Geez, give a rest dude.

We can't all just head out at the drop of the hat. Who was it that couldn't go on the Decemmber HOTM because they had better things to do, not that there's anything wrong with that sometimes life just gets in the way. I really think you're swell though. Reading a forum post is one thing but sometimes schedules have to be checked, plans made and/or rearranged or a multitude of other things and that can take a lot more time than it takes to just read this thread.

Oh yeah I'm in.

:laughing:

I'm talking about the many people who never go on these hikes/snowshoes. It seems like the same handful of people, seldom anyone new. Why? I can only guess they are nervous about being in the forest, or lack confidence in their ability, lack the gear, or some combination thereof. Everyone is invited! Give it a try!

I'm glad they are safe, but let's be clear about what those folks did. The "experienced" snowshoers went off trail without a means to navigate back to the trail and for whatever reason, were unable to follow their tracks back to safety. I call that type of experience arrogant for failing to maintain a the essential gear to get themselves out of backcountry navigational trouble.

Even if all of our GPS receivers go on the fritz, I also carry a map and compass to find our way back to the car. This trail is wide and clear and not very easy to get lost on. If we choose to go off trail, we have the means to get back without calling SAR to help us find our way. Essentially, it would take a debilitating injury or situation to call for help and we will have the means even if out of cellular range.

I'm glad they are safe, but let's be clear about what those folks did. The "experienced" snowshoers went off trail without a means to navigate back to the trail and for whatever reason, were unable to follow their tracks back to safety. I call that type of experience arrogant for failing to maintain a the essential gear to get themselves out of backcountry navigational trouble.

Even if all of our GPS receivers go on the fritz, I also carry a map and compass to find our way back to the car. This trail is wide and clear and not very easy to get lost on. If we choose to go off trail, we have the means to get back without calling SAR to help us find our way. Essentially, it would take a debilitating injury or situation to call for help and we will have the means even if out of cellular range.

good to hear.. I too have spent my whole life camping, hiking, dirt biking etc. and I never go anywhere without all the proper emergency gear and several sources for navigation (Spot, GPS or two with batteries enough to last a few days, Green Trail maps, a lensatic compass and with knowledge on how to navigate using them).. but stuff always happens and it's hard to know the full story when you read of these things.. but that's not the reason I am not going.. I have wanted to give snowshoeing a try for years, and to combine it with Geocaching.. that's a hard to beat recipe for a good time.. but it's mostly the fact that I have a torn meniscus at the moment.

Who knows though.. if I can get a cortisone shot in the next week and it helps with the pain, I would definitely change plans for this.

So keep on planning and posting these, and feel free to promote all you want Criminal..

Geez, give a rest dude.

We can't all just head out at the drop of the hat. Who was it that couldn't go on the Decemmber HOTM because they had better things to do, not that there's anything wrong with that sometimes life just gets in the way. I really think you're swell though. Reading a forum post is one thing but sometimes schedules have to be checked, plans made and/or rearranged or a multitude of other things and that can take a lot more time than it takes to just read this thread.

Oh yeah I'm in.

I'm talking about the many people who never go on these hikes/snowshoes. It seems like the same handful of people, seldom anyone new. Why? I can only guess they are nervous about being in the forest, or lack confidence in their ability, lack the gear, or some combination thereof. Everyone is invited! Give it a try!

Well my $0.02 worth. If it involves snow the answer is no. I grew up north of Chicago in the snow belt. I do not find snow a fun place to play. As for ability, I have a bum ticker. I don't like the idea of what the doctor wants to do to fix it. I'll live with it. What this means is I don't go up slopes very fast and steeper the slope and higher the elevation the slower I go. I don't want to hold others back. As for being in the forest, I have no problem walking around in the tree farms around my place alone, but then I'm not making big elevation gains. Quite frankly I wish I felt I could go on some of the hikes when the weather is better but just don't want to be an anchor. But I do like to look at the pictures and dream. Thanks for the invite, but please keep the pictures coming.

Geez, give a rest dude.

Oh yeah I'm in.

Well my $0.02 worth. If it involves snow the answer is no. I grew up north of Chicago in the snow belt. I do not find snow a fun place to play. As for ability, I have a bum ticker. I don't like the idea of what the doctor wants to do to fix it. I'll live with it. What this means is I don't go up slopes very fast and steeper the slope and higher the elevation the slower I go. I don't want to hold others back. As for being in the forest, I have no problem walking around in the tree farms around my place alone, but then I'm not making big elevation gains. Quite frankly I wish I felt I could go on some of the hikes when the weather is better but just don't want to be an anchor. But I do like to look at the pictures and dream. Thanks for the invite, but please keep the pictures coming.

While I don't know the extent of your bum ticker, I had one for years. December last year I went on the HOTM on Snoqualmie. I was at the back of the group but I wasn't alone there. I went at my pace and with the caveat the if I felt I couldn't make it I would head back down. Everyone respected that.

Six months later I had open heart surgery to replace a defective and failing valve. Six months after surgery I have gone on two snowshoe hikes. I feel better but still hike at my pace. Don't sell yourself short.

As for not liking snow, I don't like working in it. But a walk in the woods brings me a whole different perspective of the white stuff and layers keep me warm along with something hot to drink.

I went snowshoeing for the first time ten days ago (at Gold Creek) and loved it. We did go off trail but had GPSrs, maps and compasses, and it was not snowing then, so we could have followed our tracks back. I'd really like to go with you all, but we've got an event planned for the same day.

However, if anyone who has signed up for that event would prefer to go snowshoeing, feel free to change your mind!

I went snowshoeing for the first time ten days ago (at Gold Creek) and loved it. We did go off trail but had GPSrs, maps and compasses, and it was not snowing then, so we could have followed our tracks back. I'd really like to go with you all, but we've got an event planned for the same day.

However, if anyone who has signed up for that event would prefer to go snowshoeing, feel free to change your mind!

Sorry for stepping on the same weekend GA. It gets kinda tight sometimes.

Ok, with all the talk about Gold Creek, HOTM for January 8 will be the second annual Snowshoe 101.

This is a classic beginner's snowshoe hike. Those whom can't make the full hike will still receive the HOTM sig item. I'll need a show of hands to make sure I have enough made.

I plan on being there by 8:00 AM with the hike starting at 8:30.

A Sno-park pass is required but not a groomed trails pass. I recommend you take the time this weekend to pick up a pass at your favorite sports store. North Bend gas stations carried them last year, but there was talk of not doing so this year, otherwise, if you forget, the store at Snoqualmie pass West Summit carries them. Sometimes there is a ranger selling them at the snow park next to the Westbound freeway onramp at Hyak. You will be ticketed if you don't have one on display in the windshield. A day pass is $20. A season pass is $40.

Caches we'll be aiming for:

Gold Creek Arches

Snowshoe 101

Because Snowshoe 101 was the target cache last year, I'm making Arches the target cache this year for the HOTM jewel.

I'm looking forward to seeing new snowshoers out there. Get the word out.

Edited by TotemLake

A perfect snowshoe intro hike. We did this last year and had a blast. I'll be skipping this since I've done the hike and the other hike going on up north is something I haven't done and seems interesting. I'd suggest anyone thinking about snowshoeing to head up for this. It's a ton of fun, VERY easy and you will leave wanting more. I'd suggest Sports Authority for snowshoe rentals. $10 includes the shoes and poles. Just got my girlfriend and I a set this evening!

Enjoy all!

Next HOTM is January 8, Saturday. I'm still looking at a couple of possible hikes, but this will be setup for beginner snowshoers. More details will follow.

I want and need to go hiking but winter gets in the way. Snowshoeing is something I haven't tried yet so I guess I will rent the gear and give it a go. Criminal kind of inspired me on this one. I like cross country skiing so this shouldn't be too different. Love being in the forest in the snow. When do we get the details?

My Subaru loves the snow:)

I want to go, I want to go, I really, really want to go. Sadly, still can't bend the knee for another month. Have fun, take (and post) pics please.

Take it easy on that knee. I remember the great snowshoeing I missed out a couple of years back after breaking my leg at Ducabush. But the patience and care I did in the six weeks, has paid off without regret.

Next HOTM is January 8, Saturday. I'm still looking at a couple of possible hikes, but this will be setup for beginner snowshoers. More details will follow.

I want and need to go hiking but winter gets in the way. Snowshoeing is something I haven't tried yet so I guess I will rent the gear and give it a go. Criminal kind of inspired me on this one. I like cross country skiing so this shouldn't be too different. Love being in the forest in the snow. When do we get the details?

My Subaru loves the snow:)

I may be wrong, but the details are three posts above yours. Was that not what you're looking for?

Thanks to Annie Love for pointing their media crew in our direction, Groundspeak is going to showcase this month's HOTM for winter caching and think this beginner's snowshoe hike is a great example! Please see this link to see examples of what and how they film. They want you to be aware they will be out there to video us, so if you find yourself camera shy and don't want to participate, you have the opportunity to opt out. I really hope you're more inclined to come out and have some fun and not worry about the camera.

Hi everyone. I just moved to Moses Lake and I am new to Washington. I am interested in this beginners snowshoe hike. I begin my new job on the 4th and if I don't work that weekend I would love to go. I will look for some cheap snowshoes. You said that poles are not necessary? What sucks about Moses Lake is that there is really no place to buy sporting things here.

Also, where do we park? I am not familiar with the area. If anyone is coming from the east and wants a passenger, I can gladly meet you somewhere. I plan on doing a lot of geo hikes this summer and to explore the area.

Thanks

dennisro

Hmmmm, I'm also going to need some snowboots for the snowshoes right?

Hiking boots are fine. My first time out I put plastic bags on my feet and then put them in running shoes. I was broke, but it worked, lol. I had VERY cold feet, so I don't suggest it, but you should be fine with some waterproof hiking boots.

You have a Big5 Sports in Moses Lake, though it may be too late to get snowshoes there. There is also Mountain High sports in ellensburg and they may do rentals, but you'll need to call both to find out what works best for you. May want to try and post a wanted ad on craigslist and find a set that way. Or maybe another cacher here will either loan you a set for the day or pick up a rental for you and you can pay them. Sports Authority does rentals for about $15, which includes poles.

As far as a meeting point, I think this is the right location, http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=&daddr=Nat+for+Dev+Rd+144&hl=en&geocode=FaUb0wIdueLD-A&mra=ls&sll=47.389677,-121.379914&sspn=0.010895,0.032401&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=16 You will need a snopark pass, which is $20 for the day, or $40 for a season pass. There is a ranger generally in the area, but getting one BEFORE you get there is ideal. Now, this is where car pooling is important. The SMART thing to do, is to have a bunch of people meet at the parking lot for the snowboard areas across I-90, which is free to park. Then load as many people as possible into one car and drive over to the snopark area for the snowshoeing and only pay for one pass. You guys can post here and coordinate that, I'll be at the seahawks game :P

Hope that helps. Welcome to Washington and you are about to meet a ton of amazing people!

I really hope you're more inclined to come out and have some fun and not worry about the camera.

We have to be downgraded to maybe status. We have a funeral to attend and right now it is uncertain whether it will be on Friday or Saturday.

Edited by B+L

I will attend. Total n00b, so beginner == good. I picked up some snowshoes when they were on sale at Costco a few months ago in anticipation of the snowshoe HoTM. Will try to get a snow pass later today.

I'm in for tomorrow! A friend may be coming with me as well, but I don't know for sure at the moment.

I just fell out of my chair. :blink: Alright! Looking forward to seeing everybody out there.

Heh - I'm going to be really tired (as I'm still up and typing this right now) but yes, I'll finally make it to a HOTM again! :) Can't wait!

Great pics, Jim.

It was a great day for a hike! Just a little snow falling and we had the trail to ourselves all the way in. The snow trail was in great condition and going off trail wasn't too difficult. Out of the group of 8, easily half were noob snowshoers. The Groundspeak lackeys had fun even if they had to lug that equipment to the first cache and back out. And yes, Annie made it. :D

Now about that trail on thw way out... people as far as the eye can see were on this trail once we got back to the flat portion. :blink:

Next year's annual snowshoe 101 will be in a new location TBD.

I was one of the snowshoe noobs and many thanks to TotemLake for organizing the trip - I had a great time and I have no idea why I've waited this long to get onto a pair of snowshoes - what a blast!

My trip report (track and photos) is up here - sadly there is a small chunk missing when my batteries died...

Thanks again!

-Krauss-McClurg