Iphone 4.2.1 Problems

Walrus310

I recently updated my Iphone software to 4.2.1 and in turn also got the most recent update of the GeoCaching software. The latest GeoCache update did fix the problem that i ( along with other users) was having of a search putting you somewhere in South Africa, so that is not my current problem.

My current problem is that now the phone seems extremely slow in loading up searches or moving from screen to screen inside a search ( approximately 3 to 5 minutes to do a new search ). It is also freezing up and crashing quite a bit. Basically it is making caching with the Iphone, near impossible.

I have noticed that when I am using Google maps it seems glitchy as well.

I still have plenty of storage space available on the phone ( just in case someone might ask about that ).

I have also checked back with Apple and Geocaching and there does not appear to be a more recent update.

Anyone else having this problem or got any ideas.

Thanks

Edited by Walrus310

I never updated my Iphone to 4.2.1 or whatever and have 3.something on it. Many people who didn't have the Iphone 4 who updated the software experienced huge slow down on their phone in general. My friend who also has an Iphone 3g updated to 4.2 and has had nothing but problems with the geocaching app and others freezing and crashing. I didn't update and continue to have luck with the app on my phone.

I just upgraded to the IP 4 , and the GS app is working swell, much better than when I was on the 3g, seems smooth, but guess now I've jinxed it so sure my next trip out will pose a problem LOL.

But seriously, I was almost ready to dish the app on my 3g for the issues you mention, but the last two times out, no issues at all, and was actually impressed with the ability to finally use it rather than the GPS, on my 3g, could never get it to zero in, but on the IP4, smooth as glass.

Also noticed a new feature that I did not see on the 3g, a north up or floating when navigating, and love that, helps tremendously.

GL, as I am not sure what to say that may be of help, perhaps reboot, k well cache on.

I am moving this thread from the Geocaching Topics forum to the GPS and Technology forum. I'd also encourage those experiencing this issue to start a suggestion or vote for an existing suggestion on this subject in the Feedback Forum. That way, the problem will come to the attention of the Groundspeak development team.

I recently updated my Iphone software to 4.2.1 and in turn also got the most recent update of the GeoCaching software. The latest GeoCache update did fix the problem that i ( along with other users) was having of a search putting you somewhere in South Africa, so that is not my current problem.

My current problem is that now the phone seems extremely slow in loading up searches or moving from screen to screen inside a search ( approximately 3 to 5 minutes to do a new search ). It is also freezing up and crashing quite a bit. Basically it is making caching with the Iphone, near impossible.

I have noticed that when I am using Google maps it seems glitchy as well.

I still have plenty of storage space available on the phone ( just in case someone might ask about that ).

I have also checked back with Apple and Geocaching and there does not appear to be a more recent update.

Anyone else having this problem or got any ideas.

Thanks

YES !! I'm having the exact same problems with my iPhone 4 !! I too updated to 4.2.1 which seems to me to have been a huge mistake. First was the compass issue, destination coordinates 00.000.00 with all caches showing off the coast of Africa. The update 2 weeks later fixed that BUT NOW the app is super sticky, super slow and frequently freezes dead !! Tap-Tap-Tap=NOTHING !!

Before the update the iPhone 4 and the geo app combo was a dream. Recently I read that the more you use the geo app the slower it gets and eventually it'll freeze your iPhone up completely. I didn't believe it until the app froze DEAD last weekend. Wouldn't budge.

The freezing issue makes me crazy as it reminds of when we had AOL dial-up internet service. We switched to 'high speed," but nothing is moving high or speedy !! Before getting the iPhone 4 and the geo app we were caching with handwritten paper notes and a beat piece of crap etrex summit hc that turns off every 2 minutes by itself and has the rubber hanging off.

We found WAY MORE caches then than we do now ... It's like the more fancies you have the more you expect them to make your life easier and in a way it's better to just stick with basic ways because then you don't expect anything. In a way I'd love to go back to the paper notes, no phone, and the beat summit. No promises. No expectations.

Edited by TeamSeekAndWeShallFind

The app works poorly for me as cell phone coverage in my area can be spotty. I just purchased the Magellan Toughcase thinking that would cure the problem but it makes caching with the Iphone now impossible. It simply does not update the distance to the cache while walking. I really hope there is a software fix for that or I just bought a paper weight.

Edited by bike-nut